• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Laptops cause infertility?

Looks like my boys won't be swimming any time soon... :? From [HERE]

LONDON - Teenagers and young men should keep their laptops off their laps because they could damage fertility, an expert said on Thursday.

Laptops, which reach high internal operating temperatures, can heat up the scrotum which could affect the quality and quantity of men?s sperm.

?The increase in scrotal temperature is significant enough to cause changes in sperm parameters,? said Dr Yefim Sheynkin, an associate professor of urology at the State University of New York at Stony Brook.

?It is very difficult to predict how long the computer can be used safely,? he told Reuters. ?It may not be at all, if the testicular temperature goes up high within a very short period of time.?

Adolescents and young men who use laptops several times a day over many years face the greatest risk. Sheynkin fears that if laptop use is not curtailed, in 15-20 years when they want to start a family the men could face problems.

?Long-term use may have a detrimental effect on their reproductive health,? he said.

Beware laptop burn
    Sheynkin and his team studied the impact of using a laptop on 29 healthy volunteers between the age of 21-35 by measuring scrotal temperature before and after they used a computer on their lap.

The research is reported in the journal Human Reproduction.

Even without turning the laptop on, the scrotal temperature rose by 2.1 degrees Centigrade when the young men sat with their thighs together to balance the computer on their lap.

When they switched it on the temperature rose -- by 2.8 degrees C on the right side and 2.6 degrees C on the left.

?It shows that scrotal hyperthermia is produced by both special body posture and the local heating effect of laptop computers,? Sheynkin said.

A serious case of laptop burn was reported in a letter published in a medical journal two years ago after a 50-year-old man burned his penis while using a laptop balanced on his legs for an hour, despite wearing trousers and underpants.

The researchers used two different brands of computers in the study.

?All laptop computers generate significant heat due to the increasing power requirements of computer chips. New laptops with higher power requirements may produce even more heat,? Sheynkin added.
  • DocWashburn
    Getting Somewhere
    • Aug 2004

Re: Laptops cause infertility?

Originally posted by picklemonkey

A serious case of laptop burn was reported in a letter published in a medical journal two years ago after a 50-year-old man burned his penis while using a laptop balanced on his legs for an hour, despite wearing trousers and underpants.
    I find this bit hard to believe. They just don't get that hot. Maybe he was engaging in some perverse sex act, it all went wrong so he told the doctor "I was using my laptop ... with pants on and ..."

Comment

• djkix
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

newer line of chips designed specifically for laptops (i.e., pentium M aka centrino) produce less heat b/c of lower voltage requirements... can't assume more powerful laptops produces more heat...

interesting article tho. now how about the effect of cell phone radiation on your sac?

Comment

• picklemonkey
        • Jun 2004

How about wireless laptops? when I first saw the article, that's what I thought it'd be about... the wireless signals broadcasting straight to the lil guys

Comment

• Balanc3
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Thus why they are now called Notebooks.
          After an hour of sitting on your lap, your crotch should be burnin up.
          JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• Steve Graham
            DJ Jelly
            • Jun 2004

isnt this just like how using a mobile phone was meant to give you brain cancer or something?

but, regardless of the possible effects.. they just just get too bloody hot to have resting on your lap for too long.

Comment

• Jerry67
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

oi...............too late

Comment

• picklemonkey
                • Jun 2004

my laptop never gets hot... and my balls are pretty cold right now.

Comment

• the main man
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jun 2004

:ROFLMAO:

Comment

• qwerty2222
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

LONDON -
                    Beware laptop burn
                    Even without turning the laptop on, the scrotal temperature rose by 2.1 degrees Centigrade when the young men sat with their thighs together to balance the computer on their lap.
                    i wonder how much the temperature rises when a young men sits with his thights together to balance a women wich is not even turned on

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

another thing that will give you infertibility is getting kicked in the nads a bunch of times. but at leat then you would have a cool reason you were infertile. though i don't know if you'd be a 'cool' person if you got kicked in the nads a bunch of times. LOL!
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• TheOutsider
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

mmm glad my lappy never leaves my case ^_^ apart from when its on the desk hehe

Comment

• umlaut
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Jun 2004

Thanks for sharing this information.

my laptop never gets hot... and my balls are pretty cold right now.
                          ThOu ShaLL Not LiStEn To BaD MusIk

Comment

• boymercury
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Jun 2004

we should just start licensing people to have children anyway! or maybe just hand out lots of laptops!!

Comment

• Hos
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

this is bad news for sasha
                              black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

Working...