X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Have You Ever Received a Flu Shot?

I haven't, don't think anyone in my family has either, we're all still alive. Know why? The flu or influenza, kills thousands every year, but the majority of those deaths are senior citizens with pre-existing health conditions...

Keep swine flu in perspective:

source
    • Swine flu getting focus, but so far it's not deadly in United States
    • Since January, more than 13,000 have died of complications from seasonal flu
    • Worldwide annual death from the flu estimated between 250,000 and 500,000
    • About 9 out of 10 flu deaths are among people older than 65

Since January, more than 13,000 people have died of complications from seasonal flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report on the causes of death in the nation.

No fewer than 800 flu-related deaths were reported in any week between January 1 and April 18, the most recent week for which figures were available.

The report looks at deaths in the 122 largest cities in the United States.

Worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.

About 9 out of 10 of those deaths are among people older than 65, Currie said. Most times, they already have health problems that the flu makes worse, he said.

"Regular influenza can be taxing," he said. "It causes their underlying disease to decompensate and then they don't have the reserves to get through it.

"While it may not be the direct cause listed on the death certificate, it certainly contributed."

As for children:

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-S...59852M20091010

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday that 76 U.S. children have died from H1N1 since April, with widespread swine flu in 37 states.

Most victims had underlying disease but 20 to 30 percent were healthy before they contracted swine flu.

This death toll compares with 46 to 88 pediatric deaths for entire flu seasons over the past three years, the CDC said.
    Last edited by floridaorange; October 10, 2009, 01:18:10 AM.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Michael^Heaven
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2008

Re:

To answer your question, I think I've only received one flu shot when I was super young. This was only after I contracted the flu the previous season. So, parents being parents, I got the shot.

I never got the vaccine again & I've also never had the flu again. Also, I'm basically never sick anymore, either, after learning a few things about how the brain interacts with the immune system. Also, simple things like washing hands regularly, taking vitamins, eating properly, getting enough rest, & not taking in a lot of stress are all contributing factors in preventing illness.

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Re: Have You Ever Received a Flu Shot?

sometimes I do, sometimes I don't -- tends to be a function of convenience more than anything else, and if they happen to be offering them in my building on a day that I'm around, I tend to get it. The only year I went out of my way to get a flu shot was last year, because my wife was pregnant and I didn't want to get the flu and pass it on to her.

I have noticed that when I get the shot, I sometimes get mild flu-like symptoms (fever and aches) for about 15-30 minutes or so. I gather that that is not unusual, though.

Comment

Working...