X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Balanc3
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Film Ind. Prepairing to Sue Computer Server Operators

WOW! This relates back to the BitTorrent article. Instead of going after the end user, they are going straight to the top and sueing organizations that relay pirated movie files. I'm sure this means an end to supernova and some others favs quite soon. Remember how long scour lasted? Slightly different scenario, but still...

JourneyDeep .into the sound
  • neoee
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

According to the article they haven't even been able to get the p2p shutdown yet and I really doubt they'll have any luck with suprnova et al., since torrents really aren't even part of the file, just a pointer.

What really pisses me off about this though is the movie industry has admitted that they have seen no loss due to file sharing. So why even bother?
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Balanc3
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neoee
      According to the article they haven't even been able to get the p2p shutdown yet and I really doubt they'll have any luck with suprnova et al., since torrents really aren't even part of the file, just a pointer.
      They haven't had any luck disbanding the software, thus why they are going after servers who "show you the way" to the files. They may have a lot of luck with this in the US, afterall its pretty easy to block html or a certain ip in a router. Without naming names, many of the sites I am aware of are not hosted in the US, if so they probably would not last more than 24hrs due to the Millenium Act. My favorite site, hosted in Sweden- does not violate copyright laws in that country therefor its a useless battle. They can sue you in the country where the infringement occured(ie the US or Mother England), however it will probably not go much further than a judgement which could not be pursued in Sweden. Articles like this are another desperate attempt to scare end users in the US.
      JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

Working...