X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chunky
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jan 2006

Sasha's Big Day Out

Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist. Please check the spelling of the URL you were trying to access and try again.

There’s clubbers all over the country who are still reeling from Sasha’s club tour over the weekend, with everyone resting comfortably in the knowledge that it’s a mere matter of months before the progressive icon returns to play the Boiler Room at Australia’s most successful and enduring festival Big Day Out. But if we assumed we’d be getting a standard DJ set, we’d be wrong – because we’ll be seeing something on a much, much bigger scale.

Sasha confirmed with ITM this week that the Boiler Room 2009 will mark the debut of the audio/visual spectacle he’s hoping to tour across the festivals of Europe next year, with enough grunt behind it that could put it alongside live shows from acts like the Chemical Brothers, or other visual brainmelts we’ve seen in the country this year like The Cube and The Boombox. And he says it’s going to “blow people’s heads off.”

“What I’m gonna do at Big Day Out is a real production,” Sasha told ITM. “I’m working with the design company from Montreal who do the LED light installations for Cirque du Solei, really cutting edge stuff. I’ve worked with them before on a tour in America last year with John Digweed, and we did that on a really tight shoestring. And I went back to them and basically said, if I was to give you an unlimited budget, what could you come up with? And they presented me with this stage production which is just gonna blow people’s heads off, it really is. And the first time anyone is gonna get to see it is in Australia.”

Cryptically, Sasha says the setup looks like an “exploding Rubik’s Cube”. Just try and picture that for a second. “It’s constructed out of lots of tiny screens, and the visual content, I’ve seen some of the treatments for it and it already looks stunning. They’re custom building this whole stage in Montreal and then shipping it over. I’ve wanted to do something like this for a while, but it’s just been a matter finding the budget to do it. But Big Day Out came to me with a budget, so I could invest that money back into the show, rather than just turning up and DJing.”

He says the project is a response to the fact that he’s often struggled with bringing his deeper sounds to a larger festival space. “I’ve always wanted to do something more, and do something different. I’m not the DJ who plays all the big anthem tunes …. What I want to do is have something that is separate from my club shows. So this festival set is gonna be an hour and a half long, the music is going to be linked to the visuals and it’s going to be a whole different experience.”

And you can expect massive, massive tunes. “You’ve gotta play a big sound if you’re playing to 30,000 people, you’ve gotta come in with a crash-bang-wallop right from the get go.”
    Originally posted by res0nat0r
    OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!
  • AntonyM
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2004

Re: Sasha's Big Day Out

Rave on
    Originally posted by Shpira
    So came back last night...
    Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
    Originally posted by Illuminate
    Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
    2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
    3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
    4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• chunky
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Jan 2006

Sounds like you will be lucky to see Sasha in a club next year. If he can get loads of bookings doing big one off events and festivals I imagine he will cut back on the club events. Sort of like Tiesto does now.

Comment

• runningman
        Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
        • Jun 2004

it will be funny if he is a no-show

Comment

• chunky
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jan 2006

^It did cross my mind

Comment

• Nusystem
            Getting Somewhere
            • Oct 2005

It'll be BAU next year. Yes, the rig will be at most of the important festivals, but he'll still be in clubs most of the year round apart from a couple of months off after the Oz tour for a project.

Comment

• coliver1980
              Platinum Poster
              • Aug 2008

Sounds interesting.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

If the visual is gonna be so tightly tied to the music, does that mean the whole set is pretty much 'scripted?'

Not sure about these overblown productions TBH, I'm sure it'll be cool and mind blowing but fuck I just want a DJ to play some proper tunage. I don't even pay attention to the lights and lasers when I club.

I've seen a full on Armin Van Buuren trance gig with visuals of a guy SINGING along to the track being played, and LYRICS scrolling up the screen; and I've seen Carl Cox playing to fire twirlers on stage. Beyond gay.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• bobjuice
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by runningman
                  it will be funny if he is a no-show
                  Maybe they're gonna project an image of him behind the decks to save him the trouble of being there?

Comment

• fuctuup
                    Addiction started
                    • Aug 2007

Other big dj's i have seen lately have huge light shows (in clubs), but to my disappointment when i saw sasha and diggs together at house of blues, wasn't much to it and that was right before the wmc. Expected much more.
                    "Dance to the \'ri-them\, to the \'ri-them\, to the \'r`im\"

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Not sure about these overblown productions TBH, I'm sure it'll be cool and mind blowing but fuck I just want a DJ to play some proper tunage. I don't even pay attention to the lights and lasers when I club.
                      That sums it up me as well , in fact I hate the lights shining in my eyes. And I'm there for the music !
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• chunky
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • Jan 2006

I remember going to See Hawkwind back in 1987 they had The Fruit Salad Light Show. It was the best light show I've ever seen. I've never seen anything come close. I think do do something spectacular you would have to do something very different.

Comment

• dusk
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

Awesome sound system is number 1 for me and then perhaps a light show ... but it better be bloody darn good ..lol
                          ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• chunky
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • Jan 2006

I can't actually remember many events I went to where I came away from thinking the visuals where spectacular. Probably the 2000 Gatecrasher Summer Sound System in the main arena and the Court Yard when Oakenfold was in there.

Comment

• sakio pod
                              SALAD TOSSER
                              • Jun 2004

could care less about lights and visuals

yeah its kool but whatever

Comment

Working...