X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Transitions (Episode 275) December 6th

This weeks Transitions goes back to the studio with a bang and deep into Tech House terroritory, before getting more progressive via some audio therapy and finally hitting the deep house. Don't say Diggers never gives us variety !

The show opens with Hamburg's Martin Stimming and the infectious simplicity of "Melodica", an uber cool b-side on Joris Voorn's Green imprint (a sub-label of Joris's Rejected Music). Next up is Adam Freelands's "Bring It" remixed by Systematic label owner and purveyer of soulful techno house Marc Romboy - this lush remix is part of a deluxe limited 500 edition pressing (signed and individually numbered gatefold, heavywight 180g coloured vinyl + hardback booklet and CD's + digital versions). The, frankly, very wierd "Annullu" follows with it's tribal drums and babbled echoed vocals - if you turn things up loud on this one your neighbours will definately be round to see what the hells going on .

Great to see 40oz's iconic Fade Records putting out new releases again. Maher Daniel continues the momentum from his stellar remix of Rumblefish with his "At The Beginning EP" - expect big things from this guy in 2010.

After the break it's a couple of tracks that John says have been getting brilliant feedback on the dancefloors. NYC based Railyard Recordings founder Sean Palm gives us the excellent "Fundamentals" which is one of those tracks you could see fitting into a long set, as Diggers builds up the pace and draws you in before hitting you with another killer production ... in this case something from Dave Seaman's Audio Therapy as Jesus Gonsev remixes "Wrong" which works brilliantly alongside Fundamentals and sounded great at Bedrock (Shindig) a couple of weeks back.

It's then over to Berlin for Fritz Zanders catchy remix of electronica/avant-hop duo AGF and Vladislav Delay, one of 4 remixes of "Connection" from their acclaimed "Symptoms" album. Ben Watt remixes Bent's classic Swollen giving it a fresh interpretation and make over before the show closes with a track on Ben's excellent Buzzin Fly label, with Loko's "In Love".

But it's not over there. Guest this week is Japanese legend Ko Kimura who celebrates his 25th of being one of the most influential DJs when it comes to the moulding of Japan's club culture. He has raised the production bar with his record label Futic and continues to break new boundaries.

Ko has a longstanding relationship with Bedrock and John, with there paths crossing many times at the likes of Club Yellow (rip) Womb and Ageha. In 2002 Ko put out an outstanding all Bedrock mix compliation when Pioneer Japan licensed Bedrock from Pioneer US and issued a three-part compilation mix series also showcasing DJ-19 and DJ Sawa. These 3 CD's are well worth hunting out.

This is Ko's 2nd Transitions mix (you can also check out his July 2005 mix in our archive) and was recorded live at Ageha last month.

As always, both sets are available now in the [ms] downloads section ... but as you grab them please take the time to have a look at the final item at the bottom of the thread

John Digweed - Transitions 275 (Kiss100) 9th December 2009

01. Stimming - Melodica [Green GR07]
    02. Freeland - Bring It (Marc Romboy Remix) [Marine Parade MAPAVLP008]
    03. Santé - Anullu [Front Room Recordings Promo]
    04. Maher Daniel - At the beginning [Fade Records FD066]
    05. Sean Palm - Fundamentals [Railyard Recordings RyR024]
    06. Jamie McHugh - Wrong (Jesus Gonsev Remix) [Audio Therapy ATDIGI20]
    07. AGF / Delay - Connection (Fritz Zander Remix) [BPitch Control BPC203]
    08. Bent - Swollen (Ben Watt Remix) [Godlike And Electronic Analogue GAEA013]
    09. Loko - In Love [Buzzing Fly 048BUZZ]

Ko Kimura (Futic Recordings Tokyo) Bio.
    (www.kokimura.com / www.myspace.com/djkokimura)

Ko Kimura celebrates his 25th as a professional DJ. Starting in his teens, Ko was one of the very first DJs to spin House music in Japan. Now he is known as one of the most influential and talented DJs in Japan always selecting most cutting-edge sound from diverse and ever-changing global dance scene. The tunes he reviews on magazines and plays at clubs become hit items in record shops / online stores. He often appears on Japanese media as a charismatic opinion leader for underground culture.

His resident parties have always been held at major clubs in Japan. "KOOL" @ YELLOW kept running every month for 12 years and the final party was held in May this year due to the closing of the legendary club YELLOW. It was the longest thriving weekend night at YELLOW and his amazing 5+ hour set left so much influence to the Japanese scene.

KO launched bi-monthly residency at AIR (www.air-tokyo.com) titled “REC●”. He has been using Serato Scratch Live for about 2 years now and this new night will feature the digital era of dance music; Sound system at AIR will be tuned to the best for digital/MP3 DJ environment; at every party new tracks will be released digitally from Ko’s own FUTIC RECORDINGS TOKYO mainly on Beatport, Ko’s dj mixes at REC● are also available for streaming at website. http://www.futic.com/rec

Ko started his own label FUTIC RECORDINGS TOKYO in 1997. FUTIC has introduced talented Japanese producers and released 12 titles in vinyl. Ko’s ambition with FUTIC is to introduce Tokyo sound to the global dance scene. The first compilation of the label “FUTIC RECORDINGS COMPILATION 01” released in 2007 featured tracks by KO KIMURA himself as well as remixes by artists like JIMMY VAN M, POLE FOLDER, PQM, OMB, PHIL THOMPSON (Moonface). This compilation is available on Beatport. http://www.beatport.com/futic+recordings+tokyo

A true pioneer Ko supervised and appeared on the how-to-dj DVD DJ FIRST MIX and has collaborated with VESTAX, ROLAND, AKAI, KORG, TECHNICS, ALLEN & HEATH and PIONEER as a development advisor. He also taught DJ courses at Van Tan Sound Institute and Tokyo Announce Academy.

Ko is a pioneer DJ for mix compilation CDs in Japan. In 2002 Pioneer Japan released John Digweed’s Bedrock works in CD first time in Japan (they were only available as imports till then) and launched a mix CD series by Japanese DJs to introduce Bedrock sounds to Japan. Ko was picked to do the first one since he was pushing the sound and played alongside Digweed almost every time Digweed spun in Japan. He selected tracks from all Bedrock material and mixed in “Ko Kimura” style.

As a remixer / producer; Ko worked with his close friend, Satoshi Tomiie and they created hits together in late 90’s. As LEVEL 9 alias, they produced ‘Don't Stop’ which ranked on Billboard chart. They also remixed Japanese group COSA NOSTRA's track and it was aired massively on FM stations throughout Japan. He’s also known for his depth knowledge in Japanese animations, and in 2006 he was asked to produce a track for TV anime series “EUREKA SEVEN” (http://eurekaseven.bandai-ent.com/).

Ko is currently working hard in studio with Kazuaki Noguchi, and their latest remixes under MODEWARP (moh-de-warp) alias include ‘Revolutionary’ by Berbesso & Michael Mishima (Progress Recordings), ‘Fashion for Freaks’ by ACCESS DENIED (Klang Elektronik), productions with Randall Jones (Tigerhook Corp/MYNT) and DJ Gabriel. Check www.modewarp.com

Ko Kimura - Guest Mix (Kiss100) 6th December 2009

tracklist currently unavailable

John's Record Box Auction

During the Proton version of the show John mentions the current e-bay auction for his record box which is well dented, well travelled, full of history and packed with 2009's Bedrock goodies including all the releases from this year :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180440390569#ht_500wt_ 1098

The proceeds are going to an excellent charity and Diggers will be matching the final bid ! Lets hope it's a whopper as the proceeds go to Macmillan's Cancer Support Charity.

As of my last check the bidding was at £670 which may be out of many's price range. However, that doesn't mean that we can't still do our bit.

So, if you've been enjoying your free Transiations shows why not visit Macmillans and make a donation - even if it's just one or two £/$/€'s or whatever strange currency it is in your global locality the cause is truly a worthy one.

http://donations.ebay.co.uk/charity/charity.jsp?NP_ID=15796

I've just made my donation (look for the "Donate Now" tab - UK Donators can also use the "gift aid" option) and hope a few of you can too
    Last edited by simonr; March 26, 2010, 06:00:27 PM.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • AchtungBaby!
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Feb 2009

Re: Transitions (Episode 275) December 6th

Great.. Will Check Diggers... Thanks Si

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Awesome, already downloaded. I love the pictures you use, they go into the mp3 as album covers!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Wow some hardcore tribal house vibes at the 18 min mark, never thought I'd hear this sound again, from Digweed no less. Wicked.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
          Wow some hardcore tribal house vibes at the 18 min mark, never thought I'd hear this sound again, from Digweed no less. Wicked.
          That ones definately a grower, 1st time I heard it I was thinking WTF ... must have been the wailing tribal voices taking me by surprise

2nd and 3rd time around I was digging the drums.
          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Dzone
            Platinum Poster
            • Jul 2004

Cheers Simon...really enjoy the weekly sets report
            ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• ace_dl
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Amazing report yet once more Simon ...

Also, I am really diggin both sets of this week
              Speakman Sound - Hold the Line

Comment

• simonr
                Transitionator
                • Jun 2004

^^ no prob .... been some excellent guests of late - which reminds me, I need to play Erphun's again !
                sigpicSimonR

Comment

• Homegrove
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

That Bent-remix... Holy fuck.
                  Forward thinking house music

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Damn, Sean Palm - Fundamentals and Bent - Swollen

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

Record box went for £670 in the end - from Diggers Twitter:

"Thank you to the person who bought this

Ebay bid for my old record box was £670 I will match it so thats £1340.00 for a great charity- for further donations

www.macmillan.org.uk "
                      sigpicSimonR

Comment

• dusk
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
                        Not sure if I was digging it the first time round.... but this is definitely growing on me

Need to check out the guest mix.

Thanks for the reports Simon!
                        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• funkykarma
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by simonr
                          ^^ no prob .... been some excellent guests of late - which reminds me, I need to play Erphun's again !
                          Started listening to this a few weeks ago and then thought to myself about 5 minutes through: 'Hold up, imagine if I was f*cked up and listened to this trippy shit'

Comment

• funkykarma
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jan 2006

Finally have time on my hands and got around to listening this, f*cking hell there's some tunage on there: Freeland tune, Jamie McHugh and Bent are the standouts.....love how each show has it's own unique vibe, brilliant

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

^^ get with the programme Vish ... we're on 276 now

Apologies for posting this weeks Transitions thread early and before the superior Kiss100 rip goes up on [ms]. I've got a busy Sunday, but wanted to make sure you have advance details of T276. So keep an eye on our downloads section, as there are some brilliant tracks on this weeks show ;) As ever, Transitions 276 is

Grab it and let us know what you think ... IMHO some great tunage yet again - you need to be prepped for WHP lol !
                              sigpicSimonR

Comment

Working...