Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timkell
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Using money to buy things in the "real world" is just as arbitrary as using it to buy things in this virtual world.

Money is something that people have decided to agree has value. It's just paper and crappy metal, but we all agree that it has a certain value in order to make things work more efficiently.

When currency first started coming out, I'm sure people were like "Yeah, right, buddy. Last week I did the same amount of work for you, and you gave me two horses. This week I do it, and you're offering me a bunch of seashells? I don't think so. I'll take the horses."

FunkyCozy
    A FREE Minimal/Techno/Tech House Party @ Anu
    Every Last Saturday of the Month
    Residents: Jonathan Beech, Sinukus, Tim McCormack
    Next Cozy: Saturday, October 28
    3rd annual Halloween bash, FunkyCozy vs. [Kontrol]
    with guests Alland Byallo (Liebe Detail) and Craig Kuna
    Wear a costume!

Comment

• rarcia00
      Getting Somewhere
      • Nov 2004

Re: has the world gone mad?!

WHATTTT!!!!???

he bought what??? a virtual island?? damn people really dont know what to do with thier money.
      WHATTT!!!

Comment

• remy
        Getting Somewhere
        • Sep 2004

Isn't the idea of any currency a virtual concept, to a certain degree? Its just paper (which is real) but the decision to make it valuable is just a universally accepted idea. Money is virtual. Paper is real. These people are deciding to make other things valuable. The fact that its a virtual thing they're making valuable ins't that big a deal. Its kinda fucked, but so is money. The screwy thing that makes your head hurt (or at least it makes my head hurt) is that economy and money in general is just an idea we create. Its not really "real".

Douglas Adams made a funny short example in one of his books. These people in the future crash on a planet, and since they are the first people on the planet they decide to make leaves their currency. So they rake in all these leaves, but to be rich they have to burn down a lot of the forests to make the value of the leaf go up.

Comment

• remy
          Getting Somewhere
          • Sep 2004

oops I didn't see timkell's post. Redundant.

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by unome
            I thought, at 1st mention, that this person must be a moron. BUT, he has bought this island, virtual or not, it seems to be an investment. people can buy plots, and build, and he can tax people that visit? lol

this bloke is a genius, the people that pay him to be there are the idiots. but then they can most likely rent out the houses they buy or build. i wouldnt be surprised if this investment turns into a multi-million pound a year business for Deathifier. go on my son!
            agreed. with 200,000 registered users, he's going to bank off of that shit quiiiiiick.

Comment

Working...