The recession and night club closures......

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xcomveteran
    Fresh Peossy
    • Sep 2006

The recession and night club closures......

Dear All....

Just wondering whats happening these days in regards to the recession and the effect its having on night club attendance, DJ demand, and venue closures ....

Personally living in London.... We have lost so many great venues in Central London over the last few years hosting world class events such as Renaissance, The Gallery, Superfreq (Mr C) etc....

1. The End
    2. The Cross
    3. Turnmills

Just wondering what others observations are around the world.

Happy new year
  • chunky
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jan 2006

Re: The recession and night club closures......

Originally posted by xcomveteran
    Dear All....

Just wondering whats happening these days in regards to the recession and the effect its having on night club attendance, DJ demand, and venue closures ....

Personally living in London.... We have lost so many great venues in Central London over the last few years hosting world class events such as Renaissance, The Gallery, Superfreq (Mr C) etc....

1. The End
    2. The Cross
    3. Turnmills

Just wondering what others observations are around the world.

Happy new year
    None of them clubs closed as a result of any recession. The Great Clubbing Recession was in 2002 which closed down weeklies by Cream, Gods Kitchen, Gatecrasher & Renaissance. The End reopened. The Gallery moved to MOS and The Cross closed to make way for the Euro Rail Link and of course Matter opened. Renaissance never stopped doing events in London, they just never had a permanent home, which has been Renaissance's problem since 1995.
    Originally posted by res0nat0r
    OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• simonr
      Transitionator
      • Jun 2004

The UK scene is pretty poor on a weekly basis - nights seem to be more a monthly thing or special one offs etc.

Plus the top DJ's make infrequent appearances and the standard of warm ups and residents is abysmal. Plus there's a credit crunch on, so people watch where they spend their money.

Personally I like targetting specific things and combining it with travel. I'd rather have one great night in ibiza than a few so-so ones in the UK or going to a muddy festival.
      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chunky
        None of them clubs closed as a result of any recession. The Great Clubbing Recession was in 2002 which closed down weeklies by Cream, Gods Kitchen, Gatecrasher & Renaissance. The End reopened. The Gallery moved to MOS and The Cross closed to make way for the Euro Rail Link and of course Matter opened. Renaissance never stopped doing events in London, they just never had a permanent home, which has been Renaissance's problem since 1995.
        True ... Turnmills and The End sold for a fat profit on their premises.

+ you could put a Peruvian Pipe Band on in fabric and it'd still get rammed !
        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• chunky
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jan 2006

The Great Clubbing Recession couldn't be put down to one reason but lots of small reasons, DJ's wanting loads of money, Promoters thinking they could get other DJs cheaper how clearly didn't have the talent, Changes in the music and the negativity of the music press to name a few.

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

^^ Plus mugs like us grew up a bit & stopped going as frequently !
            sigpicSimonR

Comment

• chunky
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jan 2006

Yeah back in 2002 it just fell off a cliff though. Which was petty much summed up in Nick Warrens Reykjavik GU sleeve notes.

Comment

• pumper&dumper
                Dumped but never pumped!
                • Oct 2008

When i lived in London The Cross and in particular renaissance nights when in the summer when the sun came up and you could walk out to the sofas and palm trees outside were simply outstanding

Comment

• GregWhelan
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

I live just 30 miles from London centre but havent a clue where to go these days. Went to Turnmills once, loved it........now closed. Went to the Cross once, loved it.........now closed. Went to Fabric way back in about 2002, was so busy it put me off for life (music isnt my thing either). Bedrock @ Heaven was brilliant but is long gone.

Went to Bedrock 11 at Matter and enjoyed it and would go again, but it's a bit of a mission for me. Just got in from a night out in Luton, and I have seen a load of my friends, had a load of beers and chatted to some women all for less than £50 -would I have got that in London? Probably not.

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

^^^ Different strokes, the things you mention don't mean that much to me. The music means everything.
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• chunky
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • Jan 2006

Yeah but if people only went out for the music most clubs would be half empty

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
                        Platinum Poster
                        • May 2008

Re:

Originally posted by chunky
                        Yeah but if people only went out for the music most clubs would be half empty
                        Mostly the reason that I don't frequent Miami. The majority of these people are mainly there just to be 'seen' or it's the 'place to be'. If it wasn't for bottle service & the snobery that runs rampant, most of the door take would be cut significantly.

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
                          Platinum Poster
                          • May 2008

Re:

Another club & event killer was the R.A.V.E. Act/Dancehall Ordinances.

Comment

• floridaorange
                            I'm merely a humble butler
                            • Dec 2005

^my friends Mom was responsible for that ordinance in Orlando back in the 90's

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• lilsensa
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

^^Boo!!!!!!
                              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

Working...