Advice for bedroom "mixing/DJ'ing mp3's!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsiggy
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Advice for bedroom "mixing/DJ'ing mp3's!!!!!

Does anyone here mix mp3 files with a computer program. I'm looking to do this in the simplest way possible. Spoke with someone on Soulseek about a few programs - Tracktor and Soundforge, then I found out about PCDJ which looks to be pretty good(the more expensive version has the kill switches for low/mid/high). Anyone have experience with this stuff.

I can't afford vinyl and I sold my tables and vestax mixer and was just looking to have some fun mixing my files together.

Any advice appreciated
    The djs took pills to stay awake and play for seven days......
  • jeffrey collins
    Not cool enough
    • Jun 2004

get traktor. got a couple buddies i know and that's what they use. they say it's user friendly and gives them the space to not have to focus on getting the damn segues right so they can work on making the tracks they are playing even better. I too am looking into getting it. But mostly for messing around with tracks and other things.
    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Weizy
      MCast Resident DJ
      • Jun 2004

Re: Advice for bedroom "mixing/DJ'ing mp3's!!!!!

why do people want to learn how to get a computer program to mix tracks for them? shouldn't any self respecting dj mix tracks themselves?

Comment

• J-Shock
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Weizy
        why do people want to learn how to get a computer program to mix tracks for them? shouldn't any self respecting dj mix tracks themselves?
        Originally posted by cwsiggy
        I can't afford vinyl and I sold my tables and vestax mixer and was just looking to have some fun mixing my files together.
        The guy is asking for advice, not criticism.

I heard Traktor is the best. I would try to get my hands on that and try it.
        Peace
        J-Shock

Comment

• Weizy
          MCast Resident DJ
          • Jun 2004

I wasn't criticizing, I was asking a question...

I heard Ableton was good for mixing mp3's...

Comment

• supaz
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Well, Sasha has ditched the vinyl and is showing up with a Powerbook + software and a USB midi controller/mixer. He's even having one designed just for his use.

I've used turntables for years and I don't understand why people are so mystified by it?

In the end, if you don't know how to mix, then it doesn't matter whether if your using the 1200's or software. Either way it's going to trainwreck.

Far as "any self respecting dj mix tracks themselves?" ~ i'm sure most commercially distributed compilations are done using software.

Comment

• Johnson
              Addiction started
              • Dec 2004

Just got Abelton Live 4 ... and its amazing. Gives you so much more options to get creative.

Comment

• Weizy
                MCast Resident DJ
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by supaz
                Well, Sasha has ditched the vinyl and is showing up with a Powerbook + software and a USB midi controller/mixer. He's even having one designed just for his use.

I've used turntables for years and I don't understand why people are so mystified by it?

In the end, if you don't know how to mix, then it doesn't matter whether if your using the 1200's or software. Either way it's going to trainwreck.

Far as "any self respecting dj mix tracks themselves?" ~ i'm sure most commercially distributed compilations are done using software.

Alright, I know that Sasha has been getting into all that, and I also have seen many djs like John Aquaviva, Richie Hawtin, Josh Gabriel, etc. use final scratch, ableton, and other tools in live performances.

I am not mystified by it, but I do wonder if making records too easy to mix will make it harder and harder for very good up and coming djs to make it. If someone is going to use tools that take the difficulty out of mixing in a live setting then I think they should remix on the fly or do something musical that adds to the performance. Otherwise we should just put some robot behind the decks...

I also understand that just because someone can mix records doesn't mean they are a good dj...

Lastly, I am well aware that most compilations are mixed with various computer programs. But, I swear that every so often when I buy a compilation it sounds like it was mixed on vinyl. One that comes to mind is Tiga DJ Kicks...

Supaz, I don't mean to rant. Sorry to be so long winded I just wanted to clarify myself a bit...

Ableton is sick! I use it for production, but the djing possibilities are endless!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                  Not cool enough
                  • Jun 2004

Well hell we all know that all the GU compilations were done using protools. There's ever proof in their forst dvd realease with emerson working on his mix cd.

I think the reason you might swear the mix was done using vinyl is because that's still what a lot of these compilations use as their source material. They just rip it into the computer and then go from there.

I might have to look into abelton also for my work. I'm really looking for this because of all the tracks i keep getting they are all on cd, and I have no cd players for my set-up. I'm hoping to get some soon though.
                  Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                  My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                  My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Johnson
                    Addiction started
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                    I might have to look into abelton also for my work.
                    Try it ! It's really pretty easy to use and after a litlle testing phase you will see amazing results.

It much more "playing" music, not only mix it.

Comment

• audiotherapy
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

how the hell do you load mp3 into ableton live?

just get traktor nothing else match its features...

Comment

• hansh20
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jul 2004

i have no money for the equipment eather, so i started using softwares to "mix" some stuff, i used several diferent softwares like atomix, virtual dj, etc, those two are really easy to begin, but i think the closest program to a cdj its the traktor, thats my advice.
                        " When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris. "

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

never really looked into this. but since i have uped and moved countries my record collection and decks have been left in england.

how the hell do u use on of these things. i mean its not like u can listen to one track in the head phones and beat match it to the other.

i would be well intrigued in what people have to say.

i presume stuff like traktor costs money too?

Comment

• cwsiggy
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

Thanks for the advice people. I'll look into Tracktor. I believe there is a device you can buy that lets you mix with rotary knobs but still use the software. Kinda hard to click on the mouse on two dials at once I guess but I've never tried Tracktor.

As far as the question from the previous poster about beat matching, you need a good sound card that can handle two channels, then I think you can hook headphones into one, and the other acts as the source playing. I also think some of these programs have automatic beatmatching features.

thanks folks!!!
                            The djs took pills to stay awake and play for seven days......

Comment

• Duff McKagin
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Sep 2004

fuck, i just became decent at mixing vinyl after a year and it seems as though no one even uses it anymore....
                              Fly? Yes. Land? No!

Comment

Working...