With that said, I have friggin' had it with people filling my twitter/facebook feed with useless posts to let me know that they stopped to get gas. A few rules I wish people would follow:
1. Think long and hard about whether you really want all of your check-ins announced via twitter and/or facebook. I have mine set up so that if I do something noteworthy, like oust a mayor or something, it posts, but otherwise, the only people that know where I've been are the people that take the time to look. It's a social networking and advice tool, not your own personal GPS vapor-trail. This leads me to the even more important point, which is...
2. Only check-in at interesting places. I'm not telling you not to get gas, I'm just saying that the fact that you did isn't interesting to anyone, nor can I think of any interesting tips you might be able to offer at a fucking Quicktrip. Going to Aldi? Keep it to yourself. If you'd really like to log those places to accumulate points, so be it, but FFS please turn off your twitter feed or at least go off the grid for a while. There is nothing less satisfying than hearing an alert sound for your phone and going to the trouble of walking across the room to check it, only to learn that Doug G. is at the doctor's office.
[/rant]


Comment