Playa del Carmen, Mexico recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drthundr
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Playa del Carmen, Mexico recommendations?

Hey all-
    The lady and I are are planning a trip to Playa del Carmen in March. Just wondering if you can recommend some hotels/bars/clubs there.

We were also thinking about Cabo but that might be a bit out of our price range. We'll see though. Any thoughts on Cabo vs. Playa?? Thanks.

Dueces!
  • chanty
    John, John, where art thou!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Playa del Carmen, Mexico recommendations?

Never been but if you're going south in March why not go to Miami for WMC?
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Digger
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Nov 2004

i never been on playa del carmen, but if you ask me i would go to playa, one because cabo is so fucking expensive at least for me and its more expensive than playa as a friend says, and two i would love to go to a trip to xelhá, cozumel to the pyramids and so....so cultural trip go to playa and if want to party hard go to los cabos....
      https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
      All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• labmonkey
        Addiction started
        • Apr 2005

If you decide to go to Playa del Carmen visit La Santanera and Mamitas Beach Club
        "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted"

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

If you visit playa del carmen check out a club / bar called blue parrot. The bar has some kind of freeswinging swings hanging from the ceiling or something. the place is right on the beach. Very europeanesque I guess (even though Ive never been to europe lol).

Also, its real close to one of the more older ruins of Yucatan which is Tulum. So definitely check that out if you go.

Been there many times as a teenager as my Dad's family is from the area. Really amazing.

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by drthundr
            Hey all-
            The lady and I are are planning a trip to Playa del Carmen in March. Just wondering if you can recommend some hotels/bars/clubs there.

We were also thinking about Cabo but that might be a bit out of our price range. We'll see though. Any thoughts on Cabo vs. Playa?? Thanks.

Dueces!
            Depends in part upon where you want to stay. If you're wanting to do an all-inclusive, definitely do Playa del Carmen. A 5 star all-inclusive property in Cabo is about equivalent to a 3 star AI in PDC and there are frankly no AI's in Cabo that I could recommend at all.

Also, the beaches in Cabo are gorgeous but the water is quite rough and really isn't appropriate for swimming on most beaches. The sound of the water crashing against the shores is spectacular, though, and the fact that you have very deep water just a few dozen yards off shore means you'll see lots of whales and whatnot very close if you're there at the right time of year (and I think March counts as the right time of year). I personally prefer the Cabo beaches because I'd prefer to sit at a pool and look at the ocean than actually getting into the ocean, but if that makes a difference to you, keep it in mind.

If I was going on a trip where I planned to spend most of my time chilling at the resort and soaking up rays, I'd probably do PDC. If I was looking for good nightlife and didn't plan on spending much time at the resort, I'd probably hit Cabo -- and if you do go to Cabo for that reason, make sure you go to Cabo San Lucas as opposed to the much sleepier San Jose del Cabo, as they are collectively referred to in travel mags as "Los Cabos." It is definitely pricey, though.

Have fun!

Comment

• drthundr
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Nice. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been to WMC a few times. I don't think I can handle it lol. It was an option but we're looking to relax and do some sightseeing. We're old(er) and don't want to deal with crowds and we'll be getting there before Spring Break starts.

We're looking at the all-inclusives on Expedia. You can get them for around 1000 each for 4 nights. That's not to bad considering you get food/drink/hotel/flight.

My buddy told me about the Blue Parrot. I'm definitely gonna check that out. We may hit Tulum if we have the time. I've always wanted to see the ruins. That place looks amazing.

Comment

• BureOne
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Nice good choice! Takes pics and post when u return. Havent been there in ages, would like to see digital pics!

Comment

• Micko
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by chanty
                  Never been but if you're going south in March why not go to Miami for WMC?
                  Now that sounds like fun...

Comment

Working...