Clear All
  • ezdude1970
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

bush named time's person of the year

Bush named 'Person of the Year'
    Press Trust of India
    Washington, December 19

President George W Bush has been named Time Magazine's Person of the Year "for sticking to his guns" and for quashing lingering doubts about his legitimacy with his clear election victory, the magazine announced on Sunday.
    Bush got the nod "for sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his ten-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters this time around that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years,' Managing Editor Jim Kelly wrote.

Time's annual year-end ritual comes as Washington prepares for Bush's inauguration ceremony next month, and as Baghdad prepares for elections the US president insists will go on despite unrelenting violence.

His clear victory over Democrat John Kerry in November contrasted with election results in 2000, when the Supreme Court ultimately halted legal battles over recounts of disputed ballots in the razor-tight race against Al Gore.

That left legions of Americans convinced that his presidency was illegitimate -- doubts that receded after the September 11, 2001 attacks but surfaced again amid anger over the war on Iraq.

Bush's approval rating now is just about where it was in the lead-up to this year's election, 49 percent, according to results of a Time poll also unveiled.

And half of Americans still think the United States is headed in the wrong direction, the survey found -- the kind of numbers that many thought indicated a defeat for Bush in balloting.
  • rickyfuller
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Re: bush named time's person of the year

i sort of saw this coming. time is not saying he is the best person of the year, just the one who made the most news. under that criteria he is the person of the year.

in 2001 they almost made bin laden the man of the year.
    We are who we are!

Comment

• Yao
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

It's harder to admit you've done or seen things wrong than sticking to your guns.
      Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Civic_Zen
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rickyfuller
        i sort of saw this coming. time is not saying he is the best person of the year, just the one who made the most news. under that criteria he is the person of the year.

in 2001 they almost made bin laden the man of the year.
        Exactly.
        "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
        "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rickyfuller
          time is not saying he is the best person of the year, just the one who made the most news. under that criteria he is the person of the year.
          Under that framework, I'd be hard-pressed to disagree. Of course, you know that's not how W views it -- I'm sure this gives him more fuel for his fire. Now, not only is he on a mission from God, but even the heretical "liberal media" has crowned him...

Comment

• Evan Marcus
            Fresh Peossy
            • Oct 2004

boy oh boy.

Comment

• digitalghost10
              Getting Somewhere
              • Dec 2004

I loved how CNN was quick to point out that Bush joins other Person's of the Year such as Adolf Hitler in 1938, Joseph Stalin in 1939 and 1942, and Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979. That's right George Bush joins his equals!! WHooaaa WHoooo! Great Job! Hopefully next year he will join these great men in annhilating millions and causing suffering and pain for all those around him for many years to come. Thanks CNN for being on the ball!!!

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

That's easy scoring from CNN, kinda dissapoints me from them. It's also an art to be a good loser you know...

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• elove
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jul 2004

Well it just means most influential person.

I can't think of a person who impacted the World more this year minus rummy.

Think Rove should have got it. His story on the dynamics of coming from behind to win would be amazing insight into what the democrats need to fix to provide better balance in the country.

Comment

• White_Hindu
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Dec 2004

What a fuck. I think William Hung should have got it.

Comment

• cosmo
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

A fucking travesty? Propping Yasser Arafat up for a nobel peace prize is a fucking travesty.

CNN is a joke, btw. It's moving along the lines of the Anti-american BBC.

Comment

• thesightless
                        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                        • Jun 2004

its not a travesty, the person of they year is the person who has the most impact on the world(obviously concentrated on the US.) not the most popular. get over the fact that bush is the president, we are probably saving face as a country that we stuck with him, rather than run to the other idiot kerry.
                        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thesightless
                          Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                          • Jun 2004

its not a travesty, the person of they year is the person who has the most impact on the world(obviously concentrated on the US.) not the most popular. get over the fact that bush is the president, we are probably saving face as a country that we stuck with him, rather than run to the other idiot kerry.
                          your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                          download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• cosmo
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless

Oh, I agree.

Comment

• Yao
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

CNN is not anti-american by a long shot, I think it's rather pro-american, altough maybe not patriottic-with-no-questions-asked...

Be glad there is someone looking at the other side of the stories, this should give you the opportunity to filter out the new from both sides.

Comment

Working...