X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andynewland
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

Nick & Jody Interview

We interviewed Bristol legends Nick Warren and Jody Wisternoff ahead of their 5+ hr set at Twisted Audio of Feb 6th.
    You’ve played for Twisted Audio twice now, what are you most looking forward to when you come back and play for us on Feb 6th?
    N It’s always a great night with loads of friends ands faces I recognise.
    If people haven’t heard you play before what can they expect?
    N My favourite electronic music right now, across the genres of house but with a healthy dose of progressive in there.
    Did you imagine the youtube video of you playing at Twisted Audio from last year would have over 40,000 views?
    N It is amazing, the power of the web is incredible, it really did sum up the exciting vibe of the night though.
    You’ve recently moved over to Ableton. What prompted the change?
    N Well now that all the music is coming through the computer it seemed a bit of a waste of time to then take it out and burn it to CD's, i am enjoying it so far but will take a few months before i can decide if it's the way forward for me.
    Can you describe a typical day in the life of Nick Warren?
    N Up early around 7 am, open emails and chat to Petra, get the breakfast on, take Esme to school. Back home and start to listen to the music that has come in and decide the keepers. Meet Jody at the studio, Pick up Esme from school then home.
    So how has the last year been, any highlights/lowlights?
    N The release of the album was great and starting to get our live show right has been wicked.
    J For me it was a great year. Obviously finishing the album was a highlight, and DJ wise I really enjoyed the year as some amazing tracks came out and I visited a lot of interesting countries.

How has We Love Machine been received?
    J The sales have been strong, and feedback positive. It’s not the trendiest sound right now, but I think people respect us for sticking to our guns and continuing to make good honest melodic E music.
    There have been a few remixes of your WOW tracks, do you have a particular favourite?
    N they are still coming in, Eelke Klein has done a great mix as has logistics, Tek One and many more, they will all come out in February.
    J Henry Saiz's mix of Surrender is absolutely amazing!! His future perfect mix was strong, but this takes it to the next level!! Watch out.

It's been a long time since you DJed together in London! Are you looking forward to playing on the same bill for Twisted Audio?
    N Yeh can’t wait its always fun playing together
    J Yep Its been a while, I can’t remember the last time actually. Of course I’m looking forward to it, our styles really compliment each other and it always makes for a special night.

With the ever increasing use of technology - is Djing becoming a science rather than an art?
    N I think that’s all part of it now and will continue to evolve
    J I think its great that people are using programs like ableton etc for DJing, but personally I feel that the most important thing is track selection, programming and body language. The presence of a laptop can be a bit distracting, this is how I felt a few years ago when I experimented with traktor and ableton. However, I am getting tired of the endless CD burning, and am looking forward to the day when CDJ2000's are a club standard.

What do you believe is more important in a club environment? This is s question what has and will have message board in arguments for years…..The perfect technical DJ who can entertain the geeks, or the DJ who with the right tracks and understanding of music and the crowd can rock the dancefloor and have a party rocking all night long?
    J I’m totally with the latter. Nobody really cares if the mix slips out occasionally, as long as the music is incredible and the DJ is giving off the right vibe.
    What have you both got planned next as DJs, live WOW act and recording artists? Any new material, remixes, collaborations?
    J My next solo release " Lassoo " is coming out on Anjunadeep in march. WOW are doing the Future Music tour in feb/march and will continue the festival circuit throughout the summer. The next WOW EP is due for release soon, featuring a bunch of album tracks remixed by various artists. As for Djing, my schedule is looking busier than ever so all good.
    Are you taking any new inspiration from emerging musical genres?
    J Always taking inspiration. I love the cross pollination of dance music styles, it is an ever evolving creature which I continue to find fascinating.

How does the partnership work with Way out West, do you write music together, do you bounce off each other or do you write separately and fine tune things in the studio?
    J All of the above to be honest. There is no fixed formula, we just get on with it and see where it leads us.
    Quick Fire Round
    Best of 2009
    N The album coming out
    J Losing the ponytail

Worst of 2009

N The death of a good friend
    J Shit economy

Favorite tune of all time
    N today it is The Cure "In between days"
    J Vangelis - Bladerunner Theme

Best producer 2009
    N Henry Saiz
    J Robert Babicz

Best track 2009
    N Dosem -Silent Drop
    J Pete Herbert - Yo Drums

Best gig 2009
    N Mexico City
    J NYE in Bahia, Brazil

Hopes for 2010
    N to see more of the Mrs
    J Eminem samples a WOW track and we become famous

World Cup predictions
    N Stupid question, we can’t lose
    J Bristol rovers

Really looking forward to Feb 6th.
    Tickets on sale via www.twisted-audio.com
  • AntonyM
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2004

Re: Nick & Jody Interview

Seeing these two play together is right up there with S&D, maybe even more so, just for the fact, they do not really tour together much DJ wise, seen them both on their own, always rising to the ocassion with their own cross section genres of dance music, their years in the scene really show and the comments about them liking a DJ that can read a crowd, play great tracks, and interacts with the clubbers defines both of them perfectly.
    Originally posted by Shpira
    So came back last night...
    Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
    Originally posted by Illuminate
    Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
    2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
    3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
    4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

Great interview, thx Andy!

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Feb 2009

Nice one! Thanks

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• Funky Dredd
          Are you Kidding me??
          • May 2005

J Eminem samples a WOW track and we become famous
          Sorry these guys have been famous with me since the early 90's!
          Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• klangfabrik
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2009

interesting read thx. nick moving to ableton? some strange guy @ the GU forum recommended looong time ago, does anyone remember

Comment

• Weizy
              MCast Resident DJ
              • Jun 2004

These guys are pure class...I love this comment:

How has We Love Machine been received?

"It’s not the trendiest sound right now, but I think people respect us for sticking to our guns and continuing to make good honest melodic E music."

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Feb 2009

^^ Amen!

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

Working...