Really enjoyable read mate and ... amazing photos

Cheers
    Speakman Sound - Hold the Line

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

Re: Shanghai

All of these pics are way too cool, thanks a ton for sharing. I've been wanting to visit asia forever, seeing these makes me want to go even more, seeing real photos, not press shots.

Also that symbol is for Einstürzende Neubauten

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Cheers, China is a new experience for me too so thought I'd share it. To be honest a lot of Shanghai and Beijing is just expanse of buildings, I'm just visiting the interesting spots and taking pictures of them. I spend 90% of my time at work!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

^you're great photographer man...and the captions bring depth to the meaning of many of them that may not always be obvious, which is great.

...that flat space would be a cool place to throw a party no doubt...

...the arrows photo with your description of the school of fish made me think of that holograph diesel fashion show.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• pr0ficient
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Apr 2006

Great photos and insight, thanks a lot for sharing this!

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

My art director drew that for fun. I thought it was rather sweet, I feel like a father now. That would go up on a fridge That's me with my headphones, they think I look like a Teletubby. And that's a Fillet O Fish in my mouth, my shitty dinner last night. And the rest are my team naturally.

The stuff in Chinese says something like "I'm stuck here every night with you guys when you work overtime!"

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• dusk
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Not quite sure how I missed this thread before.. but your pics are awesome.. Its wonderful to see how you have captured this city.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to some more pics!
                ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by feather

My art director drew that for fun. I thought it was rather sweet, I feel like a father now. That would go up on a fridge That's me with my headphones, they think I look like a Teletubby. And that's a Fillet O Fish in my mouth, my shitty dinner last night. And the rest are my team naturally.

The stuff in Chinese says something like "I'm stuck here every night with you guys when you work overtime!"
                  So cute Now get back to work
                  Originally posted by TheVrk
                  it IS incredible isn't it??
                  STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                  Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                  The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

I have a few greek friends who lived in an around Manhattan for 10 years and have now been positioned (via their company) in Shanghai. I hear unbelievable words like "NYC doesn't even compare" and it really makes me wanna go see what all the hype is about.

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                    sweet! you have to let us know how it is. i think living in that city would be an amazing experience. i am super jealous.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                    Originally posted by ace_dl
                    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

I just re-read the entire thread and I'm so ready to fly out to Shanghai. I think I could hook up with my friend who's working there and do a 2 month stint. Another 2 places I know for sure I could head out to, are Dubai (we have a second office there) and Greece (nearly all of my client base is from there).

But back to the thread, feather, you've really done an incredible incredible job with the photos and posts. Hope you continue to enjoy your work and life in China.
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                      Originally posted by ace_dl
                      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• pipey
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Mar 2007

nice pics - agreed on the sentiment that local living pics are always more interesting than crappy tourist guide books.
                        Originally posted by Kamal
                        Thank you Dr. Needle for attending the balloon Party

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

I didn't take this, it's supposedly a sign from the portable toilets around the World Expo.

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

Some more pictures from Beijing. Went with local colleagues this time and they brought me around.

So I was wondering what was going on ...

Turned out to be some blood donation drive and it's all taking place in the bus.

This is a fairly common cart you see in Shanghai/Beijing, they come in yellow, blue, or green. It looks like a rubbish collector, not sure if the different colours signify anything.

This is the entrance to a food street.

And this is one of the food they sell ...

Brave expat bargaining on price.

Slightly more appetising-looking food.

I'm assuming those are egg rolls.

And balls ...

A side street selling trinkets.

A lot of trinkets. Did I mention Chinese love pandas?

I think these are cow tripes or stomachs.

More creepy crawlies.

So you have (from the left) centipedes, sea horses, no idea, scorpians, frogs or lizards, and in the bottom left, starfish. The scorpians on the sticks are alive and wriggling around, which is really sad and gross.

On the left is the famous CCTV building in the background, but what's interesting is the brown building on its right: It's completely burnt up and looks like the shell of a building. I have another picture later on.

I had breakfast here, thought the signage was hilarious, they must've not changed it sine the 70s or the restaurant's inception.

The nice tree-lined road where we had breakfast. That's a Bentley. And the barb wires on the left are part of an embassy compound.

My breakfast. Good ol' french toast.

So China is full of these random sculptures. There's no context for them. I'm walking along a street and all of a sudden there's this Mario Bros mushroom. It must be attached to some kinda underground exhaust because of the steam spewing out of it.

This is the main CBD stretch in Beijing. That's Samsung or LG's Twin Towers.

Down the sidewalk, I noticed these things in the ground which must be broken because they were spewing water. Twice somebody stopped to wash their hands. I'm not sure if their hands were dirty or they thought hey, free water, why not?

Ice skating rink ...

in a mall!

Here's the CCTV building again. You can see the burnt out shell behind it. So the story was during one festivity, fireworks were set off and that building caught on fire. They've not done anything since though you can see a crane. Not sure if they're still trying to salvage it. I was surprised the CCTV building was fine since it presents a much larger target.

Obviously piracy is a problem in China, thought this was pretty funny.

A pretty cool bar in Beijing's Sanlitun Village called Apothecary.

A really nice cafe opposite Sanlitun Village called Bookworm ...

Reminds me of Melbourne.

Some random pagoda ...

A roadside stall selling what passes for kebabs.

This is a bell tower. In the old days before clocks, someone would strike the bell in the tower to keep time.

A convenience stall, this is very common.

Colleagues brought me to this really chill laidback bar that looks like a huge house has been emptied and converted.

The interior is divided into different sections so it looks like ... I don't know, a club house. You'll never find something like this in Shanghai. Again, this reminded me of Melbourne

My boss ...

getting trashed at pool by my senior art director.

China's favourite past time: Mahjong.

I guess the game of mahjong tired him out.

Street stall. Yup, that's meat on the hot plate.

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

This is what I might do on a weekend in Shanghai:

Hunt for food I crave. In this case, ramen.

Visit the supermarket Carrefour. The first thing that strikes you is the smell due to local produce like dried meats hanging around.

Meat for DIY bbqs. I was told by security to stop taking pictures in Carrefour

Another random weird sculpture. Some of you might recognise the blue figures, they're the mascot for the World Expo. I'm assuming each variation in costume represents a culture or whatever.

But seriously, are these people on drugs? There is a fascinating naivete in the public sculptures and imagery used in government communication.

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

Thank you again . I really do enjoy these posts.

Btw do you know where your title under your name came from yet?
                                Originally posted by TheVrk
                                it IS incredible isn't it??
                                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...