• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haziel
    Likes a finger upthere
    • Jan 2007

Guy Gerber

Is it the dawn of a New Genius ???

I think it was on 2007 when I ever first heard of him , Layo n bushwacka included one of his tracks onto their GU , " Belly dancing " was the name of the track which in IMO was the best track and transition of the whole album.

Then came diggerz and Hernan that included his tracks onto their sets, giving it that prog / techy sound that they were all looking for in that transition, from prog. to techno 2 years ago .

Well i finally came across him a few weeks ago in San francisco , he played at a world class club .."The End up" one of Sf's finest and most historical clubs , its been open since 1970 and it has been always dedicated to dance music , you can feel a very warm vibe through the walls of this club. amazing ... amazing sound system , crowd is excellent and so is the staff , that i hear most of them have been working there more than 20 years. Another thing that caught my attenton a bout the club is that is open 6 days a week 24 hours a day and there is always a crowd raving to some fine dance music ... I didnt believe this so i went another day on tuesday at 4 o'clock and the place had it going with 70 peeps partying like it was NYE

Anyways back to Guy here is my review about that night

I'm still completely overwhelmed by this night......I go back, I think about it , I look at the wall then at the ceiling , I download sets of guy gerber and I still cannot get over how fucking insane it was........ I just can't.

I had a room in a hotel in front of the "Endup" and arrived to the club around 11 ish . Marc smith was behind the decks , excellent warm up dj, he played some very nice deep house with tech/house on the side . Very cool.

Then came Guy gerber , a producer that I've always admired because my fav dj's always played his tracks ( hooked , belly dancing , Arcenciel , Uppershelf ( reshuffle ) also this majestic set i downloaded that he did at a space opening party this year.

After the drinks I remember clearly going back to the dancefloor and seeing the white cutting light illuminating everyone and all the arms in the air waving on this powerful motion , the fingers seemed to me as distorted drops of silvery rain , cause Guy Gerber was delivering some blissful enchanting powerful sound ,it was a fresh sound of high hats with some opera diva vocals and this banging filtered kick drum that he would drop every now and then . Banging prog with techno yessssss thats what he played that night , Very inspiring music , addicting also I thought ....layer after layer of sound and instrument like kick drum, vocals , beatmashing effect , cow bells , synths, basslines , filter in filter out .... my biggest respect to Guy and to the "live" performance tool , if this is what someone can do with "LIVE" then I think its a very healthy thing for edm that this appeared as a performance tool.

I've seen many dj's or producers use this but they never got to the level of what Guy was delivering that night. Anyways back to Guy he played one of my fav guy gerber tunes - Timing , but as my friend said it was a different remix I believe it was being sampled with the beats of “Guilty pleasure” and the vocals “dark eyes - Mikael Stavostrand ” , but since he is using ableton anything can happen .

listen to sample

I think the moment of the night was when were going for a break and then we are like wait lets wait for this which was probably the tune of the night so deep , with these haunting vocals that made a moment unforgettable .

listen to sample

edit : snippets where from a former guy gerber set

Here is a Guy Gerber set I always go back to , i have another 4 i will upload later and post them here .

Production wise ... he has released many cool tracks for Cocoon , Cadenza , bedrock , tsuba and he is the owner of "Supplement Facts "

he did a great job on his latest EP "My Invisible Romance "

Download and listen to new, exclusive, electronic dance music and house tracks. Available on mp3 and wav at the world’s largest store for DJs.

From this Ep I'm pretty sure "the hollywood in you" or " Ei Sheket " will banging at your party pretty soon

I think this guy is all over the place , worked with luciano even puff daddy and yet his stuff is not to be considered pop or cheese.

Im pretty sure while you guys are reading this Guy gerber is working on another fucking brilliant masterpiece .

kthanxby
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Re: Guy Gerber

I raved about Guy's new EP in the Transitions 281 thread

Any fears that 2009's vintage may be difficult to sustain are immediately dispelled with a fantastic show which works brilliantly as an hour's mix of music - while showcasing the quality of productions on offer from the likes of Steve Bug, Nick Muir, Guy Gerber, Robert Babicz, Nick Fanciulli + much much more - there's surely

Ben Watt was playing the title track last year, which is very lovely indeed.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Domnal
      Getting Somewhere
      • Apr 2006

I remember buying 'You Can Have Him/Lost DJ' on Whoop! Records on vinyl in 2002. Was amazing then and still is now.

Comment

• cohiba
        Addiction started
        • Jul 2008

I like some of his stuff, but I wouldn't say that it was 'the dawn of a new genius'.

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

guy gerber is one of my fav's too bad I rarely hear any of his mixes it seems..

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• evo7
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

Gerber is amazing
            www.soundcloud.com/superistic

Comment

• Haziel
              Likes a finger upthere
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by floridaorange
              guy gerber is one of my fav's too bad I rarely hear any of his mixes it seems..

ill post some pretty soon

just keep tuned

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

Guy has been one of my favorite composer/producers for a long time now and he never ceases to amaze me with the ease of how his tracks sound. Haven't yet been able to see him. But since I might be finally moving to NYC in April. I'll finally get to see him then.
                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                  Not cool enough
                  • Jun 2004

BTW, here....

This is a Re-edit I did back in June 2007. I really loved the original but wanted to make it longer. So I lengthened it and added a few extras of my own stuff. Enjoy.
                  My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

Any chance you could upload this whole set?

Guy Gerber- Live _ Supplement Facts Records Party Macarena Club Barcelona 17-06-2009
                    My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Haziel
                      Likes a finger upthere
                      • Jan 2007

I only have one hour of it

but i will upload it for sure

btw nice caveman remix ,its certainly something i would play to end the night, or on a warm up set at a roof top

Comment

• Haziel
                        Likes a finger upthere
                        • Jan 2007

alright guys give it up for GUUUUUY GERBER

Guy Gerber- Live _ Supplement Facts Records Party Macarena Club Barcelona 17-06-2009

Comment

• Dzone
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jul 2004

Thanks Haziel...
                          His set from Space is one of my fav, would love to catsh him live at some point.
                          ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• AntonyM
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Oct 2004

Guy Gerber is hands down a great producer, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him two years ago, how much he could rock the dancefloor, like Guy J, Charlie May, and Jim Rivers
                            Originally posted by Shpira
                            So came back last night...
                            Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                            Originally posted by Illuminate
                            Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                            2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                            3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                            4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Haziel
                              Likes a finger upthere
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by AntonyM
                              Guy Gerber is hands down a great producer, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him two years ago, how much he could rock the dancefloor, like Guy J, Charlie May, and Jim Rivers

im pretty sure that the gals on your avatar are the Avalon Hollywood gogo dancers...

* drools*

Comment

Working...