X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Voice recognition

As a kid, I thought voice recognition would be awesome. Robots were the shit, and talking to a computers was the coolest thing ever. As a kid, Short Circuit, Robocop, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Terminator, etc, were the coolest fucking movies ever. I wanted to play with robots like Johnny Five, I wanted to talk to my appliances to turn on the lights, to change channels, turn on an oven, etc.

I pay my car insurance once every 6 months to get a discount. I received a bill the other day, and decided to call and make a payment over telephone. I'm the type of person that would rather have all my bills automatically billed to a credit card, rather than fill out checks. Seems more reliable, and I get frequent flier points for my regular monthly bills, so why not?

I just called and spoke with the insurance company to pay my bill with credit card; I didn't speak with a representative from the company, though... I actually spoke to the "company." With a computer. I never pressed a button on my phone... I navigated through all menus by voice; I spoke all credit card information by voice. I did it all by speaking what I wanted, and the computer flowed what it was saying like a fucking person! Reading numbers, balances, etc, it all sounded like a real person. If (1) I weren't told that I was navigating by menu by voice instead of by numbers, and (2) the "voice" had shown a little emotion, e.g. laughter/chuckling/change in the voice's pitch, I don't think I would've ever fucking known that it was a computer!

That scares the hell out of me. I want to know how many jobs the "voice" replaced at Progressive. I want to know how much longer before companies start replacing all of their "customer service"-type jobs. I want to know how long it'll take me before I'm desensitized to talking conversations to a fucking computer. But most of all, I want to know what's going to happen to the millions of people that lose their jobs, and can't find any others because of voice lines, or the extremely-soon-to-come robots, that will serve the public once paid for with a one-time fee.

I don't know if it's just me, but I was shuddering while talking on the phone... it made me feel like less of a person and more of a serial number or bar code. This shit is going to take some serious getting used to
  • Cyke-
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jun 2004

Voice recognition reply

Point well taken, I absolutly see the severity of the case at hand.
    Whilst were speaking, computers are taking over the jobs people were doing before.
    I myself am working in the I.T. sector and am keen on automation, but am now confronted by the fact that my job might be someday replaced.

( they'll have to invent robots that drive around town fixing computers, but hey who knows, right ? )

I guess we'll all just have to live with the fact that evolution can't be stopped ...
    "We've met the enemy, and it is us." (Pogo)

Comment

• MJ
      Here since 2002
      • Jun 2004

Re: Voice recognition

Originally posted by picklemonkey
      But most of all, I want to know what's going to happen to the millions of people that lose their jobs, and can't find any others because of voice lines, or the extremely-soon-to-come robots, that will serve the public once paid for with a one-time fee.
      The same thing that happened to all them people that worked in factories building cars all them years back before robots took over. That just life i guess pickles, technology moves fast and folks get left behind.
      mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• day_for_night
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

number 1 reason why always staying current with your education is so damn important. makes you alot harder to be labled obsolete...

Comment

• picklemonkey
          Double hoodie beer monster
          • Jun 2004

I work in IT at my company too, and one of my biggest functions used to be coding automation-type stuff to make my job run quicker. Reduced my average work time per PC from about 45 minutes to about 3 minutes... once I got that pretty solid, I had basically coded my job obsolete. I found bigger projects to do, and have definitely grew in my "education" of how different things work. I graduated from college with a Computer Engineering degree, and my senior project was to design/build/low-level program IC the associated IC chips of a touchscreen-controlled home automation system to turn off any electrical appliance in a house... lights, television, etc., it controlled it; either by touch or timers. ya know, this is the kind of shit that I think the "future" should hold for people: simple/small machines that do simple tasks. When it comes to trying to model a piece of electronics/machinery to imitate how people act and their emotions, it starts to toy with other's emotions.

Machines are machines. Making them look/sound/act like a person just feels wrong.

or maybe I'm just being a douche right now

Comment

• Cyke-
            Fresh Peossy
            • Jun 2004

absolutly not, i totally agree with the man/machine point of view. But tell that to the big companys whom only see the profit of it...

Comment

• Jibgolly
              Vortexuralizor
              • Jun 2004

press 0

Comment

• sjaracz2
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                press 0
                true

it is scary alot of places are using it and it is so real too[/quote]
                Nectar is to Bees As Money is to a Women

Comment

• palmer
                  Retired or Simply Important
                  • Jun 2004

I've had this credit card company calling me about info I forgot to add on my application and its a god damned computer.... at first I thought nothing of it.... but last friday it called me three times in a row and the messages are EXACTLY the same .....everything pitch tone whatever.... freaks me out
                  todayistomorrow
                  art direction | design | animation

Comment

• rubyraks
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

I've recently read an interesting book that hits this scenario dead on and by one of my absolute favorite authors to boot...Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. A very interesting read about a society where machines are taught to replicate the tasks of men and reach a point where they totally replace the humans leaving humanity/society in the shitters...
                    "Work like you don't need the money.
                    Love like you've never been hurt.
                    Dance like nobody's watching.
                    Sing like nobody's listening.
                    Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

i like computers.

"make me a fucking sandwhich bitch!"

"clean my feet"

"clean my room"

"kiss me"

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• arielus
                        He's back, in Pog form
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Cyke-
                        absolutly not, i totally agree with the man/machine point of view. But tell that to the big companys whom only see the profit of it...
                        there are just few calling centers in US right now.

Most companies are hiring calling services in my country or other south american countries. They cost up to 1/10 of what would cost in the US.
                        http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
                        http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
                        http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• Cyke-
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by arielus
                          Originally posted by Cyke-
                          there are just few calling centers in US right now.

Most companies are hiring calling services in my country or other south american countries. They cost up to 1/10 of what would cost in the US.
                          indeed you are right, but you've just argumentend my point, that big companys see the profit over the people, verdad??

Comment

• arielus
                            He's back, in Pog form
                            • Jun 2004

i just added some to your point.

fat companies only want profit
                            http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
                            http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
                            http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Its inevitable really. Doesn't scare me too much.
                              "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                              "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                              - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...