X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djkix
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re: MP3 quality

Can't comment on what to use at the clubs but for me 192 is perfect. 128 and 160, I can hear a difference. 192, I really can't. 320 seems like an overkill and eats up a lot more space on the hard drive.

Comment

• demonAfro
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Actually, not so long ago I'd transcode to 64 kbps to fit more on to portable audio devices. Can barely tell any difference with all the background noise. I think anything above 160 with standard ipod ear buds is massive overkill.

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

^what? no diff? no way.

This is from the lame encoder help, some approximate kbps to sound sources:

Code:
        A few aliases are available for ABR mode:
        phone => 16kbps/mono        phon+/lw/mw-eu/sw => 24kbps/mono
        mw-us => 40kbps/mono        voice => 56kbps/mono
        fm/radio/tape => 112kbps    hifi => 160kbps
        cd => 192kbps               studio => 256kbps
        But I do agree with the earbuds, those things suck. You need better headphones than that for any decent sound quality.

Comment

• Kat
          A pretty fn good milkshake
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by demonAfro
          Actually, not so long ago I'd transcode to 64 kbps to fit more on to portable audio devices. Can barely tell any difference with all the background noise. I think anything above 160 with standard ipod ear buds is massive overkill.
          64 AAC yes, MP3 no! standard ipod earbuds can easily handle much more than 160, 1411 wav sounds like a symphony
          ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• Micko
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Oct 2004

It's all the little nuances within the music that really complete it.

mp3s rob music of that.

A good set of speakers or earphones can only do so much...

Comment

• demonAfro
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kat
              64 AAC yes, MP3 no! standard ipod earbuds can easily handle much more than 160, 1411 wav sounds like a symphony
              A symphony on a bus, or a tube, or a crowded street? Even any of the noise isolating canalphones that I've tried have a little trouble with the tube sometime.

But Yah, I was playing devil's advocate a little, as lower bitrates tend to go into vorbis or aac. My mp3 player was quite limited capacity and only for commute/sport so it was quantity over quality. Of course in a quiet room with halfway decent listening apparatus it is really easy to tell the difference up to about 192 kbps with mp3. And sometimes the difference between codecs like aac and mp3 is stunning, especially just a bit lower.

As for .wav, since there is no way of properly tagging them, anything losless gets flac'd up straight away, but that tends to only be downloaded stuff. The only lossless copy that I've made is for 5.1 materials

Anyways, anyone up for some double blind listening tests? Would be interesting to see if any of you can actually tell the difference

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

hard drives are monsters these days. 320 or eat a dick imo.

Comment

• floridaorange
                  I'm merely a humble butler
                  • Dec 2005

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Micko
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange

Comment

• clintlove
                      Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                      • Jun 2004

320 mp3 / wav or bust

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• pdowney
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by demonAfro

Anyways, anyone up for some double blind listening tests? Would be interesting to see if any of you can actually tell the difference
                        I'm on the snooty side of audio quality. Of course, I also failed this test to identify the difference between a 128 or 320 mp3:

A while ago, I decided to switch to MP3 music instead of CD's, so I painstakingly ripped all my CD's (500+) onto my computer. It's much easier finding albums on a computer than it is sifting through piles of CD's only to find out that I put the wrong CD in the case that I
                        Philip

Comment

• Haziel
                          Likes a finger upthere
                          • Jan 2007

Great thread

Now a curious thing here is ,that a lot of fucking kick ass producers like to use an analog sound ( jamie jones , lee foss , varoslav , shonky , dyed soundoroum , shaun reeves , ewan pearson etc ) that will not make much of a diference if you listen to something on 320 or 192 .

Still though vynil has some great sound elements that digital cannot reproduce .

long live Vynil

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

I think there have been enormous compromises made in music quality over quite a few years for the sake of convenience. The joy of listening to music on high quality music systems has been sacrificed for ipod docks!! We have become used to lesser quality. I was at a friends place the other day and he has an absolute kiss ass system. It was so good. I miss it

The way the music is recorded is incredibly important. It makes lower bit rates at least listen able. But a well recorded piece of music will always sound better in a higher bit rate. If I buy tracks I always buy then in wav.
                            Originally posted by TheVrk
                            it IS incredible isn't it??
                            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

192 minimum, or VBR, or 320. 128 to 192 to 320 are jumps in sound quality. 128 is useless, 192 is serviceable when music is in the background such as at work or on the move, 320 for auragasm. I have some music on AAC and Flac, but I don't really bother with the distinction between 320, AAC, or Flac.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...