X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

"the less regulation, the better."

"We didn't truly know the dangers of the market, because it was a dark market," says Brooksley Born, the head of an obscure federal regulatory agency -- the Commodity Futures Trading Commission [CFTC] -- who not only warned of the potential for economic meltdown in the late 1990s, but also tried to convince the country's key economic powerbrokers to take actions that could have helped avert the crisis. "They were totally opposed to it," Born says. "That puzzled me. What was it that was in this market that had to be hidden?"

-----------------> STREAMING VIDEO LINK <--------------------

It was fun while it lasted...
  • superdave
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: &quot;the less regulation, the better.&quot;

I'll have to read that article since I thought Rubin and Greenspan were part of the problem. I recall they oversaw the economy and the loosening of government regulations in the 90's that got us into the mess not too long ago.
    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

I watched that Frontline report a couple of months ago and it was very interesting. What I thought was pretty interesting is that Ayn Rand was one of Greenspans very close friends for a good part of his life. Since Ayn Rand was all about letting the market be free, this is pretty intriguing since it was partly Greenspans policies like this which led to the economy on how it is today.

Comment

• floridaorange
        I'm merely a humble butler
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by superdave
        I'll have to read that article since I thought Rubin and Greenspan were part of the problem. I recall they oversaw the economy and the loosening of government regulations in the 90's that got us into the mess not too long ago.

The frontline video goes into detail about that, as Resonator also pointed out... greenspan actually apologizes near the end admitting he was wrong.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by res0nat0r
          I watched that Frontline report a couple of months ago and it was very interesting. What I thought was pretty interesting is that Ayn Rand was one of Greenspans very close friends for a good part of his life. Since Ayn Rand was all about letting the market be free, this is pretty intriguing since it was partly Greenspans policies like this which led to the economy on how it is today.
          Except Greenspan rejected Rand's philosophy when he became fed chairman.
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• runningman
            Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
            • Jun 2004

free market capitalism hasn't worked since the US started borrowing money from the Fed. You can't have capitalism without capital.. You can't call it capitalism when you are getting capital from other countries buying your debt.

Comment

• chunky
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jan 2006

^ The Boogie Man is Back. Nice to see you back runningman
              Originally posted by res0nat0r
              OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• runningman
                Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                • Jun 2004

Ya dad let me out of my room today.. I am going to try to dig up some good news over the next two days.. It is going to be tough so hopefully I can find some.

Comment

• jasonemrysss
                  Getting warmed up
                  • Nov 2009

Cool thread.

Comment

Working...