X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bender420
    Tickle me Elmo!
    • Jun 2004

Hoarding Question for the MS Horde

So I'm trying to clean up my music collection and I wanted to know how yall go about it. I've got folders for the artists of course, but I also have my collection of radio shows. Essential mixes, MS, the numerous Proton shows, etc. What I'm wondering is how yall go about it? For example, our very own Steve Graham, would you put a Solid Sessions set under that show in a Proton folder? Or just under his own folder? Or would you even save it in both? I like having artist folders and radio show folders, but don't really know how I should go about this. I use Steve as an example because his was the first one I came across today. There are tons other dj's with tons more than what that stingy fucker shares! I've got lots of Proton shows from back when I religiously listened and downloaded those shows. I like having the shows together because if I just had artist folders I might look at a name and not recognize it from say the Release Records show on Proton several years ago.
    And I know I'm not the only hoarder of music, nor am I the least anal or organized ( whichever you prefer to call yourself ) here.

Thoughts on the matter?
    Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Hoarding Question for the MS Horde

Arrange by year and genre...Artists will fall under genre....So, depending on your mood, you can just go to the genre.....
    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• coleby761
      Are you Kidding me??
      • May 2008

Strictly by artist for me. And I also have a folders with misc sets from artists I don't have a heavy collection of. Also a pretty large of stuff I've yet to listen to.

Comment

• clintlove
        Hey girl, ya Hungry?
        • Jun 2004

I always arrange by artist, and only albums get their separate folder but still arranged under that artist.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

you geeks
          motherlover

Comment

• ganjamo
            Platinum Poster
            • Jan 2006

i got music all over my 4 HDs lol. When ever i want to find an artist or anything I use Everything which is a very useful program.

Organizing by genre is kinda hard IMO, most of the artists atm play a variety of genres and its quite difficult to decide who plays what.

just my cinco centavos
            Dont panic, its organic.

Comment

• demonAfro
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Easy! Has taken years of refinement to get something nice. Emphasis on searching and identification, and general OCD.

Firstly, I thoroughly recommend foobar2000. Take a day or two to learn the title formatting and tagging, renaming, organising and searching and anything else you would like to do with your music becomes a delight. I also like to keep tabs on playback stats and scrobbling.

Sets and complete albums go by artist
              Set:
              %artist%/%artist% - %title%
              Album:
              %artist%/%album%/%artist% - %album% - %tracknumber% - %title%
              VA album:
              %album artist%/%album%/%album artist% - %album% - %tracknumber% - %artist% - %title%
              Radio:
              show_name/%date%/%artist% - %title%
              Single tracks:
              singles/%artist% - %title%

nota bene:
              Most important: Everything has proper id3 and id3v2 tags!! (used to use apev2 but id3v2 is a little better supported on hard wares etc) This is where genre goes and foobar can pick it up from here. New fangled semantic desktops could probably index the tags too?

For sets, album and title tags are identical and contain the original date at the beginning in YYYYMMDD (substituting 00 for unknown) so everything sorts nicely in folders.

Tracklist goes in %unsynced lyrics%

Singles is a little neglected but getting it sorted, will be %genre%/%year%/%artist% - %title% once I sort a decent genre set.

Seriously guys -- if everyone uses this scheme the world would be a much better place :loser:

Comment

• chunky
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jan 2006

I store them all in artist folders

I just relabeled all my music files like so

Year. Month Day Artist Event Venue City Country

Example

(2001.12.29) Deep Dish - Live @ +Soda Club Athens Greece

If I don't have all the info it mite be more like this

(2001.xx.xx) Deep Dish - Live @ +Soda Club Athens Greece

Once I've listened to it I add a dash to the beginning of the file so I know I've listened to it like this (This keeps the files I've listened to seperate to the ones I havent listened to in the same folder)

-(2001.12.29) Deep Dish - Live @ +Soda Club Athens Greece

Radio Broadcasts I label similar

-(2010.02.23) Nick Warren - Sound Garden Frisky Radio Vol #1

Any additional info I mite put on the end

-(2001.12.29) Deep Dish - Live @ +Soda Club Athens Greece [Crowd Recording or Possible Fake]

I wish I had done this when I first started storing music files. It would of saved me the aggro of having to go through them all trying to remember what I had listened to and what I had not.
                Originally posted by res0nat0r
                OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• jackdaniels
                  Addiction started
                  • Aug 2008

One thing I've recently been using is Vista's rating function on every file. Great for helping me weed out crap stuff every time I do a spring clean.
                  sigpic

Comment

• demonAfro
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chunky
                    I wish I had done this when I first started storing music files. It would of saved me the aggro of having to go through them all trying to remember what I had listened to and what I had not.
                    I know what you mean. Why couldn't I have been this anal when I started collecting music foobar playback statistics add tags for date_added, playcount, and last_played I also keep track of everything on last.fm too for mobile devices and stuff.

Comment

• threehills
                      I heart Lollergirl
                      • Jun 2005

Tags are the way to sort rather than folders and file names, much more flexibility.

For example, after I listen to a set, I rate it out of 5 stars. I have auto playlists generated based on ratings that auto sync to my ipod. The list is set up so that it selects 10 random sets that I have rated as 4 stars or above and each time I sync my ipod it puts a different 10 sets on. I further have it set to that it will select sets with lower play counts than those with high play counts, keeping things fresh.

It also is set to put on 10 random sets that I have yet to listen to and rate. Its further setup to choose the ones that are the most recent

I also do the above with singles, main stream music, etc etc. This way I am certain to always I like and something that is sure to be new.
                      It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• Bender420
                        Tickle me Elmo!
                        • Jun 2004

tags don't really help me b/c i've got tons of music i've never listened to!
                        but my main question is still about the artist vs. the radio shows. i like keeping the kiss sets together, and those i have sorted by year and then digweed or guest mix. and i've got tons of the proton shows.
                        Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

• jackdaniels
                          Addiction started
                          • Aug 2008

Perhaps you could sort your files by Artist, and in the Radio folder use a shortcut to link back?
                          sigpic

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Download , use spotlight to find, buy new HD when full
                            Originally posted by TheVrk
                            it IS incredible isn't it??
                            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• floridaorange
                              I'm merely a humble butler
                              • Dec 2005

^works for me

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...