X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobjuice
    Banned
    • May 2008

Streaming (need help)

If anyone could point me in the right direction a bit on this i'd be very grateful.
    Done a lot of searching and reading but don't really feel any more clued up than i did before

Sure there are people here who know a thing or two about a thing or two so any advice would be welcomed.

With a view to putting a live (audio) stream online, i'd like to know how this is best achieved and anything else i should know about.
    Someone i know who did a similar thing in the past did so using winamp and some kind of plug in - but i've drawn a bit of a blank looking at what/how.

So i've got the sound going into the pc and i've got a bucket full of your finest web space to put the thing up to, i just need to sort out the bit in the middle.

Cheers
  • Funky Dredd
    Are you Kidding me??
    • May 2005

Re: Streaming (need help)

Have you looked into Icecast. I think that is what you are referring to with winamp. I honestly have not set one up (Icecast) but I did look into it about 3 years ago. What I eneded up doing was going the route of winamp and streaming it inside my office using something other than icecast (I can't think of what it was off the top of my head). It worked and it worked good for what I had set it up to do. I always wanted to go the icecast route at home but I didn't think anyone wanted to hear my lame sets.

If I think of the plugin that I used I'll let you know.
    Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

this should do you Bob

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• bobjuice
        Banned
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Funky Dredd
        Have you looked into Icecast. I think that is what you are referring to with winamp. I honestly have not set one up (Icecast) but I did look into it about 3 years ago. What I eneded up doing was going the route of winamp and streaming it inside my office using something other than icecast (I can't think of what it was off the top of my head). It worked and it worked good for what I had set it up to do. I always wanted to go the icecast route at home but I didn't think anyone wanted to hear my lame sets.

If I think of the plugin that I used I'll let you know.
        Thanks Jon, will look into that. Lame sets? Sheesh , i wish mine were that lame then.

As much as live mixes would be something i'd like to do, the reason for it mostly is me and my mate Jim (moodychops to those who know) were gonna do a kind of radio show at weekends.

Huggie, thanks to you also but i think i've already got one of those - maybe that's why i'm struggling?

Comment

• bobjuice
          Banned
          • May 2008

Looking at Icecast, i can't see Vista supported anywhere?

Reading their help files isn't any help at all either. Hmmm

Comment

• Steve Graham
            DJ Jelly
            • Jun 2004

shoutcast plug in go to www.shoutcast.com

you can also do video and audio streaming using UStream
            www.ustream.tv

Comment

• bobjuice
              Banned
              • May 2008

Thanks Steve, gotta go out now but will give that a look when i get back.

Is it something you've used before yourself?

cheers

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

yeah, we used to run a radio stream using winamp and shoutcast server, you can braodcast live or run a stream with archived mixes

i've also used ustream to broadcast shows and from clubs

you can see ustream being used at www.yourcrate.com

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

3 step process

1. You install a winamp streaming plugin and setup the login information to point to the streaming server

2. I'll setup the server for you.

3. Hit play and cue up your playlist. Now you have your own dedicated streamer controlled from your desktop/laptop.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• bobjuice
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

Top man.

Right, i've got the shoutcast plugin up and running. Audio input is set to (winamp) playlist and the sound there is coming up in the mixer ok.

Changed over to soundcard in and that works too - it's just the output side i need to sort now.

This is the bit i'm finding confusing. Is the streaming server a 3rd party or not necessarily?

Thanks for the help fellas

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

Yes, the streaming server is a high bandwidth dedicated box. Simplest way to explaining radio streaming is like this.

What you have setup with the winamp plugin is the Mic, what a service provider with a streaming server will provide is the Amp and Speakers. These 2 unite at a price each month.
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• bobjuice
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

ok - how much ?

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

$2.00 per listener @ 192 kbps
                          $1.75 per listener @ 128 kbps
                          $1.50 per listener @ 112 kbps
                          $1.30 per listener @ 96 kbps
                          $1.00 per listener @ 64 kbps
                          $0.80 per listener @ 56 kbps
                          $0.70 per listener @ 48 kbps
                          $0.60 per listener @ 32 kbps
                          $0.50 per listener @ 24 kbps

the rates may seem expensive but this is not controlled by bandwidth
                          limitations i.e. stream as much as you want. If you want it restricted
                          to say 20 GB / month, the rates can be halved (or subject to mutual
                          agreement).
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• bobjuice
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

Hm - will have to think about that one.

Last edited by bobjuice; March 2, 2010, 04:48:53 PM.

Comment

• Steve Graham
                              DJ Jelly
                              • Jun 2004

that's the advantage of a Ustream type service, it's free and you just need enough upload bandwidth to get to their server, they take care of the rest

with shoutcast server, you can have up to 50 or so listeners at least 96kbps maybe higher on a dedicated machine at home if you have a nice strong broadband connection.. only thing is doing that, you need to get a static IP, since everytime you shut it down or if there is a power outage, the ip changes so the link you have pointing to the audio stream will need to change

Comment

Working...