X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

QR Codes

Has anybody been keeping up with these things? If you have a mobile phone and a barcode scanner, scan this:

I think the concept is pretty damned cool but I'm wondering what the hell to use them for outside of the cool factor
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: QR Codes

The latest version of BlackBerry Messenger (IM for blackberry users only) has this supported. It will allow you to scan each others barcode and exchange all of your contact info. Never really used it except for just this purpose to get someones BBM pin #, but I used it to scan the above and it took me to the ms facebook page which I didnt know it would do which is cool. Its pretty neat you can see the phone acting like a store scanner as I just have to hold the phone in front of that image for a second or two and it will automatically open the url w/o me having to tell it to 'scan', so its searching for the image.

Check this site out, I just heard about this today. Don't know much about it, but its about barcodes and sharing info via them and such.

Comment

• picklemonkey
      • Jun 2004

Yeah, these things look like there's a lot of built-in functionality. You can send me a text message:

Useless banter about friends:

etc. I just wish I had a good use for them

Comment

• picklemonkey
        • Jun 2004

I just found an Android app (Share by QRCode) that will convert whatever website you're looking at in the browser into a QR code that you can let your friends scan on their phone to get right to the page you're looking at

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

The scanner on my blackberry wont read those last two links with the builtin scanner, interesting. I installed some 3rd party app and instead of scanning and decoding quickly it has to take a pic like a camera and then analyze it for a second. It picked up your TXT msg pic above, but not the big one...

Comment

• poults
            Platinum Poster
            • Nov 2006

You use Android dont ya pickle? What barcode scanner do you use?
            Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Google is using QR codes with businesses for mobile purposes, I think that's the first serious push with QR codes in the west (I think it's kinda like you can point your phone at a QR code in a restaurant window, give it a review which is uploaded to Google Maps or somewhere online). But QR codes have been around in Japan for ages and is quite mature. They get artists like Takashi Murakami to collaborate on 'creative' QR code designs:

Some people in Japan have also built 'installations' that form QR codes so people can point their mobiles at it and connect online for more info or participation.

But I won't be surprised if QR codes will be phased out soon (kinda like Bluetooth on mobiles, there was never anything really useful for that besides transferring files between machines), last I read there is a 'dot' design (not the micro QR code) that is smaller and packs more information.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

Most app developers use them to direct your phone to the app, rather than forcing you to download an installer on a PC and transfer it over, or browse to the cite using the phone browser. very handy!

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

when I got my new phone I scanned a bunch of my husbands contacts into my phone book...it was so much faster. I havent been using it for much else though.
                  "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

Working...