Getting back in shape , what's your routine?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haziel
    Likes a finger upthere
    • Jan 2007

Getting back in shape , what's your routine?

After a while of slacking and having a hedonistic lifestyle, I 've come to the conclussion that my body is gaining fat , I'm not being as active as before , I'm sleeping less and eating more . Ofcourse this tends to happen once you hit your 30's

I created a routine for myself to start to get into shape.

-15 minutes of cardio
    -light weight lift exercise
    -5 minutes of cardio
    -5 minutes of cardio
    -5 minutes of cardio

...........and so on for 1 hour , then hit the sauna and off to work , my day is faster and I feel really energetic ( it totally beats red bull) . I've been doing this every day and the results are meh!!! not what i expected , I'm eating way too much and not loosing what I want to loose , I can't help it I have to munch onto something . If in 2 weeks i dont see any results Im getting a PT.

Anybody into bodybuilding here?
  • AntonyM
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2004

Re: Getting back in shape , what's your routine?

Once I hit the 30's my work schedule became so hectic, had less time to dance all night f up, do that 5 nights a week it is easy to stay in shape, I'm on the road a lot so I try to do a set routine of cardio, hit the hotel gym, otherwise, first thing is killing the booze that always keeps the weight on, try not to eat late either, but you how us night owls are, who does not want to hit late night food after clubbing till 5am and drinking, no eating for the previous 8 hrs. It sucks but better keep the shirt on during the summer, it sucks but who wants skin cancer anyway,
    Originally posted by Shpira
    So came back last night...
    Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
    Originally posted by Illuminate
    Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
    2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
    3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
    4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• 88Mariner
      My dick is smaller
      • Nov 2006

light weight baby! Aint nothin' but a peanut!

M: 20 minutes of HIIT cardio, then 1) 5x5 front squats 2) 5x5 incline dumbbell press (I don't do bench) 3) 5x5 dumbbell rows, 4) 5x5 deadlifts (i'mmaxing on 315 on that, plan to hit 405 by summer), 5x5 military presses, and usually finish off with dips or shrugs or pull ups, whichever I'm feeling.

T: 35 Minutes of cardio, HIIT for last 15 minutes. Then do dips/shrugs/pullups (whatever I didn't do the day before).

W: no cardio. Instead, 5x5 flat dumbbell presses, 5x5 pulldowns, 5x5 incline dumbbell flyes, 5x5 calf raises, then finish with arnold presses until i pass out.

Th: off. I do try to get a good long walk in first thing in the morning, and then right before bed.

F: same as monday, except normal squats instead of front squats. (sometimes hack squats tho). Every so often I'll take both wednesday and thursday off and do friday as a measurement of my 1 rep max. I do this about once every three months, and usually follow that day with a week of rest to let the body fully heal up so to speak.

Sat/Sun. Depends on what I'm doing and what I've got going on. Usually HIIT first thing in the morning, even if it's only 10 minutes. Personally, I don't like going to the gym on the weekend and prefer getting non-machine non-weight exercise outside. Hikes, tennis, whatever.

x2 on the sauna. I love hitting up the steam room too.

I'd say 80% of getting in shape is diet though. If you don't have that right down to the single calorie, you're just wasting time.

I hope to compete as a natural in a couple of years. Long road. But as Ronnie Coleman says, "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don’t nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights."
      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• FM
        Wooooooo!
        • Jun 2004

^^this.

Bottom line though is look to gain muscle mass, unless you are grossly overweight, then maybe first is to get some fat burned off through cardio and diet. Cardio is good, but in small doses. No need to run on a treadmill for 45 minutes, unless you're training for a race...and then it has to be either HIIT (high intensity interval), or SOME kind of interval at least...but not a "light jog" or in your "fat burning zone" (which is a load of crap). Unless you're just into maintaining what you have. I mean, I love all the people I see running lightly on a treadmill or on the elliptical time after time...again good if you're into maintenance or light stuff. Not so good if you want to change-up.

As for diet? You can't out-train a bad diet. No need to count EVERY calorie, but you do need to eat less, but more often to burn fat/lose some weight...alcohol consumption needs to come WAY down, if not gone completely, lot more protein, etc. Balance it out.

Recommended book: Tom Venuto's Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle - long read and very detailed, but WELL worth the information. - http://bit.ly/9FCQ7A

Haziel don't kill yourself....2 weeks is too short, although you may see at least some results. Takes a good solid 3-4 weeks of sticking to things to see things begin to happen. Do the lifting exercises instead first, then follow up with cardio for 20-30...no need to alternate like that unless it's part of an interval routine. Average weight loss typically is 1-2 lbs./week...maybe a bit more to start.

Here's one of my workouts...or most of it. I have to tweak because I can't do a couple of the exercises in the gym...or period That and it's gassed me most of the way through at the moment, so I'm working my way up into it with less reps, etc. It's also new which is nice. One should vary up their workout every 4 weeks or so...keep your body off-balance so it works harder and more efficient.

This is taken from Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training...this was a freebie he put out...and is NOT for the out-of-shape person at all.

Warmup (x2):
        1) Bodyweight Squat – 15 reps
        2) Arm Crosses – 12 reps per side
        3) Duck Unders – 6 reps per side
        4) Plank – 30 second hold
        5) Waiter’s Bow – 8 reps
        6) Close-Grip Pushups – 10 reps
        7) Leg Swings – 15 reps per side
        8 ) Spiderman Climb – 6 reps per side
        9) Shuttle Sprint – 15 seconds at 50% intensity (sub: running in place)

Workout (x1) - minimal rest in-between:
        1) Shuttle Sprint – 20 seconds (sub: running in place or treadmill)
        2) Prisoner Squat – 25 reps (2-0-1)
        3) Sprint – 20 seconds (sub: running in place or treadmill)
        4) Pull-up – 80% Max reps (2-0-1) (sub: dumbbell rows)
        5) Pushup – 80% Max reps (2-0-1)
        6) Pull-up – 80% Max reps (2-0-1) (sub: dumbbell rows)
        7) 1-Leg Squat on Bench – 10 reps per side (2-0-1)
        8 )Elevated Pushup – 15 reps per side (2-0-1)
        9) 1-Leg Squat on Bench – 10 reps per side (2-0-1)
        10) Underhand Inverted Row – 15 (2-0-1)
        11) Bulgarian Split Squat 1& ½ Reps – 12 reps per side (2-0-1)
        12) Underhand Inverted Row – 15 (2-0-1)
        13) Sprint – 20 seconds
        14) Prisoner Squat – 25 reps (2-0-1)
        15) Sprint – 20 seconds
        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
        Facebook!
        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

^ This. Add to that, I NEVER do treadmills and kinda lol at people who do. Why? Because the belt is assisting the running more than it would outside on a track. I prefer the Pre-Cor machines or rowing machines.

Ok, maybe single calorie is a bit strict. But calories do add up, and add up quickly at that.
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• poults
            Platinum Poster
            • Nov 2006

3 nights a week i do a weight group (chest with tri's, back with bi's, shoulders and legs) with abs on 2 of them nights. I do an ab attack class aswell with a spinning class (fixed resistance bike) and also a swim once a week. The biggest factor that affets my diet is without a doubt alcohol so i usually do 3-4 weeks off the booze and then have a weekend out or whatever. I do watch what i eat but i am not that strict on it, i dont drink coke or eat sweets or any of that shit so that s not really an issue for me. I only try and make sure that i get a lot of protein because i do a lot of weights. Like 88Mariner says though, calouries can add up very quickly so just be aware of that.
            Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• srbbnd
              Platinum Poster
              • Jul 2005

If you want to lose weight just run 30 minutes to a hour a day. I use sporty pal it measures all your stats and uses gps to track your signal. Free as well. Lifting just gains muscle but when you get lazy again you are even fatter then before.
              www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

• funkykarma
                Gold Gabber
                • Jan 2006

The booze is usually a killer on the waistline.....I went 40 days without it for Lent and lost a lot of weight.....and I do play football twice a week (2 hours in 30 degrees tends to burn a bit of fat!)....I realised that the exercise you do should be something you enjoy, used to go religiously to the gym for about 5 years but it got boring and tedious after a while....so find an exercise that you enjoy doing....

You may want to also try cutting down meat consumption, especially fast-food stuff....I went meat-less for Lent as well, and while I do need meat in my diet now, I've (finally ) realised the merit of veggies

Comment

• Shpira
                  Angry Boy Child
                  • Oct 2006

Some very good advice you are getting here!!!

Anyway here is my routine and has been for about six months with slight changes now and then...you need to mix it up once in a while otherwise your body gets used to the routine and you don't see as much effect.

Monday: CHEST
                  Bench press - warm up set + 4 sets (12,10,8 + super set)
                  Incline Bench - warm up + 4 sets (12,10,8 + super set)
                  -------- i alternate the order of these each week i.e. sometimes i do incline first
                  -------- Also about half the time use dumbbells instead
                  Dumbbell flyes - Or use the cables to the same effect 4 sets (12,10,10,12)
                  Decline bench 3 sets (12,12,12) use light weight to separate the lower portion of the chest muscle
                  negative dips - until failure -- so with this you only go down dont push up and take around 8 sec to lower yourself
                  sit ups at least three different variations 30 reps in each set

Tuesday: Back

Wide Grip Overhand Chin-Ups - 3 sets (12, 10, 10)
                  Bent Over barbell rows - 4 sets (12, 10, 10,
                  T- bar bent over rows - 4 sets (12, 10, 10,
                  Dead lift 3 sets (8,8,
                  Romanian Dead lift - 4 sets (12,10, 10, 12)
                  Sit ups same as before

Wednesday - Shoulders

Dumbbell Shoulder Press - warm up set + 4 (12,10,8,
                  Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 4 sets (12,12,10, super set)
                  Standing Dumbbell Front Raise - 3 sets (12,12,10)
                  Rear Dumbbell Lateral Raise (with Chest Supported) 3 sets (12,12,10)
                  Shrugs 3 or 4 sets (12,12,10,
                  Sit ups same as before

thursday: arms

biceps + triceps routine...this always changes and i do one exercise for either back or chest

friday: legs

SAT + SUN rest

will update later busy at work now

p.s. I gained about 10 kg in muscle mass in 4 months with this routine and some supplements
                  The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                  Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• FM
                    Wooooooo!
                    • Jun 2004

nice. definitely lots of veggies and fruits...you won't get fat if you gorge out on those

Meat is good, but not overdone on such, namely reds...chicken some debate but I love it; just grill it up mildly and season it out.

Calorie-wise, a gram of protein is 4 calories, gram of carbs are 4 as well, and a gram of fat is 9. Which is why first thing down should be the fats (but you need at least some...try the fish or fish oil at least, flaxseeds, etc.).

Don't "diet" above all; cutting calories way back doesn't work in the end when your body goes into starvation mode and shuts down the metabolism. 20% down is usually the maximum to go from your "norm." (run several different calculators to get a range/idea; they're all free across the Net). Then (and this is one great plan I've seen) every 5th or 6th day eat about 10-20% more then your "norm"...same stuff, just more in portion. Again, keeps the body off-balance so it doesn't enter that low-calorie burn mode and stays there (kind of amazing how quickly the body can adapt to something and get "used" to it).
                    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                    Facebook!
                    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Shpira
                      Angry Boy Child
                      • Oct 2006

chicken, fish, swap bread for rice, less fruit more veg...no carbs for at least six hours before sleep.
                      One in four days can be your day off when you can have a pizza or pasta...whatever you like in normal quantities. this is because your metabolism becomes more efficient over time and gets used to a low carb diet...
                      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

lots of good info here. the key is just doing something and sticking to it. all exercise works if it's constant.

i dropped @ 30 lbs in the past year or so, but the last 10 were the hardest. only 5 more to go to be at 190, which is where i want to be. to drop the last 10 i switched my cardio routine to interval training and i've noticed the biggest changes in my endurance and body type since then. 50 mins of cardio, walking the first 8 and last 8. inbetween i run for 2 minutes and walk for 1. every time it's a running interval i increase speed. at the end of the interval workout i'm pretty much sprinting. I follow that up with a 20 minute circuit style full body weight workout and i'm outta there. i used to focus on just one or two muscle groups per day and really hit those hard, but i'm almost 35 now, not 25, and putting on a bunch of mass isn't what i want. I do the above routine m/w/f and on tues/thurs i ride my bike, play in a volleyball league, go for a light run outside.

Find a something you enjoy doing stick to it.

This website has tons of fantastic recipes too (because without a proper diet you're just wasting your time): eatingwell.com

Comment

• hashhead
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

Last edited by hashhead; April 16, 2010, 01:54:54 PM. Reason: well balls to that

Comment

• jackdaniels
                            Addiction started
                            • Aug 2008

I'd highly recommend that everyone watch 'I want to look like that guy'

Link: http://vidreel.com/video/NTk0MDUz/

Although the diet/training plan is nothing new, I think the documentary drives home the importance of discipline and hard work....a message that many people overlook and underestimate.
                            sigpic

Comment

• gr8pumpkin
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

No joke, these have been very effective for me:

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Gr8 Pumpkin."

Comment

Working...