• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Social Security vs. Privitization

Check out this article -- some surprising findings:

At the heart of President Bush's plan to sell Social Security private accounts is a simple notion: You're always better off investing your retireme

One man's retirement math: Social Security wins

By David R. Francis | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

At the heart of President Bush's plan to sell Social Security private accounts is a simple notion: You're always better off investing your retirement money than letting the government do it.
    By doing it yourself, you can stow some money in the stock market, and over the long run will get a better return on that investment than today's Social Security system offers.

The idea is broadly accepted. That's why the administration's plan to partially privatize the system sounds appealing to many. But that better return won't always happen.

Just ask Stanley Logue of San Diego.

For 45 years, the defense-industry analyst paid into the system until his retirement in 1994. But with all the recent hoopla over reform, Mr. Logue, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate, decided to go back and check his own records. Would he have done better investing his money than the bureaucrats at the Social Security Administration?

He recorded all the payroll taxes he paid into the system (including the matching amount from his employer), tracked down the return the Social Security Trust Fund earned for each of the 45 years, and then compared the result with what he would have gotten had he been able to invest the same amount of payroll tax money over the same period in the Dow Jones Industrial Average (including dividends).

To his surprise, the Social Security investment won out: $261,372 versus $255,499, a difference of $5,873.

It's an astonishing finding. The DJIA represents blue-chip stocks. Social Security invests in US Treasury bonds. Over long periods of time, stocks have consistently outperformed bonds. So, you would think that Logue's theoretical stock investments from 1950 to 1994 would have surely outpaced the return on government bonds.

The fact that they didn't illustrates one of the hard truths about stock investing: Timing matters.

Although Logue started pouring money into Social Security in the 1950s and early 1960s, some of the best years for stocks, he hadn't accumulated a lot of money.

So the gains of his theoretical stock portfolio would have been limited.

By the time he had substantial sums, the market swooned for long periods. From 1965 to 1982, for instance, the DJIA made no progress. Logue retired before the real run-up in stocks in the latter half of the late 1990s.

So the real lesson from his analysis is that any pension plan based on stock investments carries extra risks.

Advocates of privatization point out - correctly - that Logue's analysis compares theoretical stock returns with what the Social Security Trust Fund earned - not what he himself would get from the system.

From that perspective, the investment approach looks better, they argue. Over the long run, a typical worker can expect to earn 4.6 percent a year (after administrative costs) on a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds and only about 2 percent or less from Social Security, according to federal estimates reported by Michael Tanner of the Cato Institute, long a proponent of privatization. Hypothetically, someone earning $30,000 annually would at the end of a 40-year career receive nearly twice as much under the investment approach ($344,000) than with Social Security ($185,000).

Who's right: Logue or Mr. Tanner?

The debate hinges considerably on what people want their retirement system to be. Social Security has always been an insurance program. It was never intended as an investment scheme. So everyone - retirees, the disabled, widows, and orphans - receive guaranteed monthly income. The "return" on their Social Security contributions depends largely on how long they live. Those in their 90s have enjoyed superb returns. Those who don't live as long benefit less.

Private accounts, by contrast, involve far more variability, both sides agree. Individuals who enter and exit the market at the right times would undoubtedly do better under privatization.

But under Britain's privatized pension system, so many retirees are doing so poorly at this moment that a commission warned this fall that widespread poverty among the elderly may be returning, which could require massive new government spending.

Presumably, President Bush's plan would offer the choice to meld insurance and private investment: much less guaranteed income in return for the opportunity - and risk - of earning more in the markets.

"Because financial asset returns are volatile, benefits under a personal account system would fluctuate," notes Bill Dudley, an economist at Goldman, Sachs & Co., a New York investment bank. "On a risk-adjusted basis, the privatized account ... becomes much less compelling."

There are other problems with private accounts. Administration expenses of the present Social Security system are minuscule compared with the size of the benefits provided. The Bush administration so far has provided no details on its private accounts plan. But if these are handled by Wall Street, the fees could be sizable, dissipating some of the return from investing in stocks. Logue takes no account of such expenses in his analysis.

Further, administrative costs and difficulties for private business could be large as companies, big and small, try to deduct the right amount from a payroll and put it into a private account in a timely fashion.

A study by the Congressional Research Service (CRS) notes some complexities: 650,000 employers go out of business or start new businesses each year. More than 4 million employers have 10 or fewer employees, often having record-keeping problems and errors. About 12 million to 15 million individuals are self-employed and presumably would have to send money directly to a private account.

So the complexities of change are substantial. If the extra return from privatization is not very advantageous, "why even consider changes that all agree would be very disruptive?" asks Logue.
    I thought this was interesting, because I had always just assumed that the market would invariably outperform social security over that long a period of time. I actually think that privitization of social security sounds like a pretty good idea, in theory -- after all, if this money is being set aside to benefit me personally down the road, then who better to watch over it than me?

The concern I have with it is two-fold. Number 1, if the SS system's revenue stream drops because of privitization, the ability of the govenment to pay current and future benefits to people that have been paying into the system would be jeopardized.

Number 2, I am concerned that the government will ultimately end up paying for costs associated with the inability of some people to competently invest their money for retirement down the road (i.e., welfare, medical, crime, etc.).
  • cosmo
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Privatization. You can invest and end up with 8X the money you would get from the government, in theory of course. It would actually give people the freedom to make choices for themselves, by being responsible. Imagine that..

Plus, I'm sick of the politicians taking money from SS.

I would think that the people that have been paying for some time, and about to retire would be covered. It would be immoral to not pay those benifits.

From the beginning, Roosevelt said that SS was only a temporary program, not to last forever.

Number 2, I am concerned that the government will ultimately end up paying for costs associated with the inability of some people to competently invest their money for retirement down the road (i.e., welfare, medical, crime, etc.).
    I would hope not.

Comment

• hoodednight
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jan 2005

The Great Ownership Society

Originally posted by cosmo
      Privatization. You can invest and end up with 8X the money you would get from the government, in theory of course. It would actually give people the freedom to make choices for themselves, by being responsible. Imagine that..

How many people have the time, skills, and inclination to manage
      private accounts? Very few, if any, people will be able to realize a
      return substancially greater than SS. The terms ownership society or,
      as you have put it, responsibility are terms used by politicians
      to further capitalistic agendas. These terms should be understood
      in their proper context (self-interest and ambivalence for social
      welfare).

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

thats why you hire an investment manager......

and we all know the system doesnt work the way it is. anyone around thier mid-20's or lower are doubtful to receive any money from it.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• hoodednight
          Fresh Peossy
          • Jan 2005

Re: Social Security vs. Privitization

But, why is that? Maybe we should start demanding some kind of
          fiscal responsibility from the government. The war in Iraq for
          instance.... Was this really necessarily? How much money are
          we wasting there? We helped prop up and finance Saddam in the
          late 80's and early 90's, but all of sudden he became a tremendous
          liability to the safety of Americans, why? Why has Bush used
          tens of millions of tax dollars to fund an inaugural extravaganza when
          people inside, and outside, the U.S. are in poverty? Why has the
          government plundered the SS trust fund setting the stage for this
          crisis? Why does the SS tax only apply to a certain amount of
          income?

These are all questions we should consider before making the assessment
          that the SS system is broken and, therefore, needs to be privitized. . .

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

dont even start crying about how the gov't wastes money. they always have, it is something we have to deal with. war actually makes the domestic suppliers a lot of moeny, hell WW2 brought us out of the depression. do you think the gov't just takes all the food/steel/technolgy from its suppliers?

the biggest fucking waste of money in this country is welfare and unemployment. they are based on the thought of " oh, you dont want to work? ok here is money that all your neighbors were forced to pay in taxed after working hard. but you can have it for free." get off your ass and go find a job, anyhting is better than nothing. even if you carrying wood around a construction site or mowing laws.

on the other hand the two best uses of gov't money is disability, firstly, and school grants and loans. one helps out those who cant support themselves because the got hurt trying to help themselves. and the school grants(and i include the free public schooling) only offer the single biggest thing you can do in life... get an education to make yourself better.

and in regards to the SS tax being capped, it was thought that since you get it back(supposedly), we will give the people who work harder the oppurtunity to take what they earn above the line and invest it for themselves.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• hoodednight
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by thesightless

the biggest fucking waste of money in this country is welfare and unemployment. they are based on the thought of " oh, you dont want to work? ok here is money that all your neighbors were forced to pay in taxed after working hard....

...and in regards to the SS tax being capped, it was thought that since you get it back(supposedly), we will give the people who work harder the oppurtunity to take what they earn above the line and invest it for themselves.

So, does SS count as welfare in your mind? If we don't care for the
              poor, why should we care for the elderly? They should have worked
              HARDER in their life so they don't have to take freebies later on, right?

And, honestly, do you really believe that most wealthy people really
              work harder than other workers? It is hard for me not to laugh at
              that suggestion. But, I guess that depends on how you define
              working hard. . .I"m mean does a CEO deserve expontentially
              better pay than the common worker? Don't tell me he works
              that HARD.

Comment

• White_Hindu
                Getting Somewhere
                • Dec 2004

dont even start crying about how the gov't wastes money. they always have, it is something we have to deal with.
                Here's where I can use my 1337 skillz. With the construction/renovation of Air Force One, William Clinton took it upon himself to check the final bill. He saw a toilet seat for over $1000(I think the exact price was around $1025). He immediately informed people of the problem, who found a replacement toilet seat, similar in design, for around $150. That's around $1000 saved by a democratic president. Now we can take George W. Bush in Iraq, which is like his personal toilet. It's the marble one with the heated seat and the bidet with the blowdrier and automatically sanitizing seat....You get the picture, and he uses this incredibly expensive toilet so he can flush our social security money down the drain that is Iraq.

The gay thing is that people already had to option to have a private account. I could easily make a 401k and probably get more money than social security could provide, but while I can go ahead and get a private account, some rich old fuck up in washington is taking my taxmoney AND using his 401k for retirement. When I'm old enough to claim social security, they will be out of money. The money I pay for it now will do absolutely nothing for me.

Here's a good idea-RAISE TAXES THEN YOU'LL HAVE MORE MONEY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE! When the government can pay for my retirement, I don't need a high paying job.

Comment

• digitalghost10
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Dec 2004

Re: Social Security vs. Privitization

I think the best thing is to get the money out of the governments hands that way they have no one of touching it, that in itself is worth some risk. Especially if you have the situation where 1/4 of you what you put in may not be coming back to you becuase of the number of people working vs those that are retired.

If you put it in those terms, it's time to start to look for alternatives.

Comment

Working...