X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clintlove
    Hey girl, ya Hungry?
    • Jun 2004

What are your collections or hobbies?

Just curious if any of you have collections or hobbies... besides music of course.

My wife and I collect 50ml (miniature) glass bottles of alcohol. They are illegal to sell in the state of Louisiana, so acquiring them is actually quite fun. Every time we travel out of state, we stop at liquor stores and see what we can find. We don't drink them, don't even open them, instead we store them in a glass case. It's pretty cool for decoration. It all started when my wife was visiting her sister in Italy, and came back with a 50ml bottle of Absinthe. It sat on the shelf for almost a year before we decided to do something with it. The collection of bottles grew fast, and before we knew it we needed a case to store them in. The collection has outgrown the case at this point, we are at about 107 bottles, so we are looking at buying another case for expansion.

Some of my favorites:

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic
  • Jayson
    Addiction started
    • Nov 2004

Re: What are your collections or hobbies?

Besides music obviously, I play Tekken competitively on a national scale. Slowed down once T5R came out, but from Tag to T5 me and my friends were all over the country hitting up the larger tournys. Once T6 was released on console I scooped that up right away and am trying to get back into it.

And without sounding to geeky, I'm a big tabletop RPGer, mainly D&D and Shadow Run. Just good times and lots of fun.

Also play in ice hockey/roller hockey leagues (Goaltender). Been playing since 6th grade and it a great way to stay active and make new friends.
    Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

• Funky Dredd
      Are you Kidding me??
      • May 2005

That's pretty cool. I collect Stephen King, Joe Hill, Anne Rice and a few other authors. I have quite a lot tied up into them. I don't have any pictures except on my FB page. I tend to not take them out that often as I don't want to damage them. I want to give them to my son when he is old enough.
      Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

Originally posted by clintlove
        What is this and where is it from? Very interesting pic and label for a liquor, never have seen this anywhere before.

Very cool. Why are these illegal there? I guess just some dumb law, like not being able to buy booze on Sundays from the grocery store or a liquor store here in Indiana, but bars are open just fine.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
          I got some N64 Games Yo!!
          • Mar 2008

Past:

my vinyl weighs a ton
          old school lego sets
          baseball cards
          rocks
          vintage automotives

Present:

my vinyl weighs a ton
          various sub genres in digital format
          craft ale bottle caps
          skate, surf, etc. stickers
          shoe laces
          vintage automotives
          (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
            Platinum Poster
            • May 2008

Re:

Originally posted by i!!ustrious
            Past:

my vinyl weighs a ton
            rocks
            Ditto^! I thought I was the only one who collected rocks as a kid. I also hoarded marbles & Atari games.

Originally posted by i!!ustrious
            Present:

my vinyl weighs a ton
            skate, surf, etc. stickers
            Ditto X 2^!

Besides music, surfing is pretty much my life. So, I 'collect' surfboards, wetsuits, & wax.

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

Clint, I gotta know, some of the more rarer bottles, did you buy 2 and at least drink 1? props for not drinking your collection btw.

I have quite the unintentional Tie collection at this time
              Golf, and all that comes with it
              Surfing
              Running
              My grandparents would send me money from
              all the countries they visited, so I have a lot of
              foreign currency as well.
              Last edited by floridaorange; April 20, 2010, 02:07:27 PM.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• clintlove
                Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                What is this and where is it from? Very interesting pic and label for a liquor, never have seen this anywhere before.

Very cool. Why are these illegal there? I guess just some dumb law, like not being able to buy booze on Sundays from the grocery store or a liquor store here in Indiana, but bars are open just fine.
                Res, this came from a friend of mine whose brother distills his own whiskey. I love the label, definitely something you wouldn't find in a store though.

Originally posted by floridaorange
                Clint, I gotta know, some of the more rarer bottles, did you buy 2 and at least drink 1? props for not drinking your collection btw.
                No. Believe it or not, it can get kinda expensive for some of the rare ones, so I'd only buy one of each. We did have about 20 plastic bottles that I was able to replace with glass ones over time. I did drink those during Mardi Gras last year. It was a nice little smorgasbord of alcohol.

sigpic

Comment

• diegoff
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

I collected stamps when I was a kid. Now, I don´t collect nothing. I missed the point of it, if it really has a point.
                  btw, nice bottles in the pics!
                  It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                  Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                  May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Homegrove
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

I have pretty good book collection though it's all over the place. And by that mean different publishers and hard backs and paper backs. I do every once in awhile check eBay for some vintage hard backs for my favorite Stephen King books. And since I started working and left college I've bought everything new in hard back anyway.
                    Forward thinking house music

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by clintlove
                      We did have about 20 plastic bottles that I was able to replace with glass ones over time. I did drink those during Mardi Gras last year. It was a nice little smorgasbord of alcohol.
                      I get it now, so your collection is all glass, which is what makes them harder to find, in addition to the rarity of the alcohol. How many do you have total? Why do some stores carry the bottles in glass, and some plastic? Any ideas?

Comment

• clintlove
                        Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                        • Jun 2004

The plastic bottle is becoming more common, the liquor can actually deteriorate the plastic over time, so those are pretty much made for consumption. However some of the uncommon liquors are still bottled in glass because they are a little more "high end", if that makes sense, and have unique bottles and would like to preserve their branding. Those are the fun ones to find. We've got 107 total at the moment, 30 or so of those are sitting on a bookshelf.

sigpic

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

and are there any specific bottles (brands) you are on the lookout for?

I used to bring several (plastic) on long flights with me... that and music and you're set

What brand is the 5th bottle in from the right, second level up? Never seen a bottle like that before.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • May 2006

^that is that tequila brand that is shaped like a dildo. i see it in the bars/stores around here all the time. i dont know what the brand is b/c i dont want to be seen ordering anything from what looks like a glass penis.

Comment

• clintlove
                              Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                              • Jun 2004

El Senorio tequila, we picked that bottle up in Cozumel during our honeymoon. We have a Mezcal in a red bottle too.

Res, I've never seen the full size bottle, so can't comment on the glass wiener thing.

sigpic

Comment

Working...