• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • F JOHN
    Getting warmed up
    • Apr 2009

do you think dj's like their own mixes as much as we do

maybe some of the dj's on the board can answer this
    but do you think a dj gets the same buzz off one of his mixes while driving down the road in his car with the stereo cranked up as we do..often wondered whether they did or not..
    or do they just do the gig or set and never bother again????
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: do you think dj's like their own mixes as much as we do

i'll listen to my own sets from clubs a couple of times, pat myself on the back, and move on. if it's good, (which is always is, DUH) i'll pull it out and dust the set off once in a whilei, but i never hammer my own mixes like i do other ones that really flip my lid.

i think there is an element of surprise i enjoy while listening to other djs sets that i don't get from my own. listening to my own it's like, "oh i know what's next, here it comes, yep...that was cool, i'm awesome...aw yeah this one melted panties...annnnnd BOOM fuck yeah...man, i wish i would have done this with the eq right there...crap i could have rode that mix for a lot longer... whoa wtf easy there brick hands....note to self dont play this record ever again..." etc.

that said, listening to my own live sets brings back the visual memories of the night, friends that were there, what was going on in the club/party at that point in the set, so that's cool.

Comment

• clintlove
      Hey girl, ya Hungry?
      • Jun 2004

I would think most musicians like what they create, at least initially.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• Haziel
        Likes a finger upthere
        • Jan 2007

Personally I like all of my mixes I just only publicly release the ones that I consider worth sharing . Other mixes I just share them with some friends and others I just keep them to myself because i consider them personal .

You'll find that the majority of "big names" djs will only release sets that they previously listened to , so I guess the answer to your question is yes , if they would consider it shite then they would not release it , of course there are other things at stake like if the dj is playing an unauthorized track etc.

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by clintlove
          I would think most musicians like what they create, at least initially.
          opposite for me. Typically when I listen to my own stuff I am too busy picking it apart hearing every little flaw, it's usually not until a few months or more later that I can go back and really enjoy it, maybe a few exceptions (the live set from Jelly for SJ's memorial for example, but that was just a very special night all around)

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
            opposite for me. Typically when I listen to my own stuff I am too busy picking it apart hearing every little flaw, it's usually not until a few months or more later that I can go back and really enjoy it, maybe a few exceptions (the live set from Jelly for SJ's memorial for example, but that was just a very special night all around)
            I've been recorded before and have had sets get out that i hated, until later when i told some friends that and they said, "are you fking high? that set is awesome." agree with steve, im way to critical/picky of my own stuff.

Comment

• Haziel
              Likes a finger upthere
              • Jan 2007

like what jenks said you might enjoy it more because of the surprise element ,

Comment

• F JOHN
                Getting warmed up
                • Apr 2009

cheers for the input

Comment

• coleby761
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • May 2008

so Jenks you got some mixes for us?

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

All artists are different, some probably love their own mixes, some probably won't even listen to them once.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• lilsensa
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                      Agreed. I do the same.
                      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by coleby761
                        so Jenks you got some mixes for us?
                        yeah, lots, i've been playing for a looong time, just never really internetted them.

im playing this sat night...i'll record and see how it turns out.

Comment

• pdowney
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

I do a weekly two-hour radio show and I never look back on those episodes (300+ now). Mostly because I don't have time to go back -- the next show is always calling. Some of my listeners do have favourite episodes. One told me he's listened to a particular episode more than 50 times!

I make promo mixes for myself mostly (and [ms]), two or three times a year. I do enjoy hearing them again in the car.

Check the links in my sig if you're interested.
                          Philip

Comment

• BureOne
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                            i'll listen to my own sets from clubs a couple of times, pat myself on the back, and move on. if it's good, (which is always is, DUH) i'll pull it out and dust the set off once in a whilei, but i never hammer my own mixes like i do other ones that really flip my lid.

i think there is an element of surprise i enjoy while listening to other djs sets that i don't get from my own. listening to my own it's like, "oh i know what's next, here it comes, yep...that was cool, i'm awesome...aw yeah this one melted panties...annnnnd BOOM fuck yeah...man, i wish i would have done this with the eq right there...crap i could have rode that mix for a lot longer... whoa wtf easy there brick hands....note to self dont play this record ever again..." etc.

that said, listening to my own live sets brings back the visual memories of the night, friends that were there, what was going on in the club/party at that point in the set, so that's cool.
                            lol, that was funny Jenks!. I have the exact thought when listening to my own sets. It tends to get bland becuase well...you mixed it so you know whats coming and it might not sound like a set set.

When listening to other dj's, I have no idea what the song is, how it sounds, when is it coming in; so its more of a seamless flow and I enjoy it a bit more than my own.

Comment

Working...