• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • etincelles
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2005

Legal/Financial Advice sought....

Greets,

Here's the story. Back when I was in my early twenties and in school, I--to put it frankly--bombed my credit. This was approximately about 2002-2003

Since then, I've continued to pay my student loans, payed off my car loan and school loans but admittedly I never paid a couple of credit cards I had back when I was in school. The amount I owed was around 1000 dollars for each (without interest)

Fast-forward to today:

Lately I have been receiving calls about a personal loan which was supposedly taken out by me in 2007, but I know for a fact that I did not. I've checked my credit report, there is no such activity about any personal loan taken out etc.

To put it simply, the reason I know I did not take out a loan is that after I bombed my credit, I vowed to never use credit anymore, and I did a pretty good job of it, not buying things I couldn't readily pay for with cash. This is true even today (I don't own any credit cards and don't even have a true checking account instead opting for agencies to pay me with a payroll card or by check)

But anyway, the collection agency claims this personal loan taken out in 2007 was through GE Money Bank [?] in the amount a little over 1000 dollars.

I've asked for a confirmation letter, but the details they have sent are scant (likely purposeful) and did not include the original lender phone number. location the loan was taken out, or any other useful details for which to verify the validity.

My question is, what can I do? Do I need to hire an attorney? I understand with the economy being what it is, companies are getting very sly about making money appear from SOMEWHERE

Regarding my past couple of unpaid credit cards, although I feel bad about it, I do understand there is a statute of limitations for the time that company can collect or act legally on the debt. While technically still owed, in other words, it can no longer be reported on the credit report etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Also, perhaps when my situation is better, I will pay those cards outright however at present it is not possible.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, it would be appreciated. Mainly I want to know if it's worth hiring an attorney to deal with these people or if there's anything I can do.

Regards
  • etincelles
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2005

Re: Legal/Financial Advice sought....

P.S. I have not noticed any signs of identity theft or the like but it could be possible I suppose. I still would need to know how to proceed

Regards

Comment

• runningman
      Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
      • Jun 2004

In my opinion

well a lawyer will want a retainer so if you owe $1000 it probably isn't in your interest to go through a lawyer. Just represent yourself. Tell them that without proper validity that you actually owe the loan it will be impossible to pay it. And leave it at that. If it goes on your credit counter sue them yourself. Just go down to the county court and file it. Contact GE money yourself and ask for the contract.

Comment

• Steve Graham
        DJ Jelly
        • Jun 2004

^^ agreed
        an attorney isn't necessary for such a small amount especially if there is no proof of identity theft
        unless they can provide you with a signed contract or some form of your authorisation for the loan, they have no legal right to collect anything. you say there is nothing on your credit report about this? it could be they have the wrong person, which happens more than you would like to think. When I worked for a credit department my friend and his dad had each others creditors on their credit reports.. remember, these things are or at least were updated by humans doing mundane data entry, over the years without close watch on your credit report you never know what can end up on there.

but if there is nothing about this on your report, aside from the calls, what's the real problem?

Comment

• etincelles
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Steve Graham
          but if there is nothing about this on your report, aside from the calls, what's the real problem?
          I suppose there is no problem. I can tend to concoct scenarios in my head though (call it a healthy piece of paranoia)
          I am just so ignorant about the legal system etc. which is probably at the source of the problem

Many thanks for the advice. I think I will represent myself

Comment

Working...