X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

A good use of extra money...

SAN DIEGO — A new center for seniors celebrated its grand opening today in downtown San Diego. As The Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center has a lot of unique features.

Above: The new Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center features full-time medical staff, a cyber café, and an enrichment center.

The two-story center has full-time medical staff on site. There's a cyber café where teen volunteers help seniors work with computers. And there's an enrichment center, where seniors can learn yoga, or take a variety of different classes.

Philanthropist Gary West and his wife Mary donated $4 million dollars to build the center. He says it's aimed at low-income seniors.

"And there's not really a lot of federal help for these people, believe it or not, and it's not one of the big giving areas of a lot of private philanthropists. So, we thought there was a real opportunity to make a difference and impact in this community, and we're very happy to have done this."

The center is also equipped to serve 500 free meals daily. It's open to people 60 and older seven days a week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much more gratifying would it be to know you're money went to feeding 500 free meals to low-income senior citizens, than say an additional vacation house in the South of France or something... just saying

It was fun while it lasted...
  • jeffrey collins
    Not cool enough
    • Jun 2004

Re: A good use of extra money...

All seniors should be doing yogic exercises as they help keep everything flexible. And one of the main problems with seniors is they just stop doing things. Then they wonder why it's so hard to get out of their chairs.
    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• DancingQueen
      AVB FanClub | President
      • Oct 2005

What a generous thing to do
      I think it is important to take care of our elders. Our parents and grandparents, etc. did so much for us....its the least we can do. One day we will all be old, and hopefully there are wonderful people around to help us
      sigpic
      RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
      RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
        Not cool enough
        • Jun 2004

Just try to remember the way your parents treated their parents. Then do the same thing to them, and say this is payback for what you did to my Grandparents!
        Jeffrey Collins: Painter
        My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
        My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

we can all look forward to more quilts
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• clintlove
              Hey girl, ya Hungry?
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DancingQueen
              What a generous thing to do
              I think it is important to take care of our elders. Our parents and grandparents, etc. did so much for us....its the least we can do. One day we will all be old, and hopefully there are wonderful people around to help us
              If Obama's health care stays in tact, our parents and ourselves will just be counseled for accepting death.

This donation was a very genorous act, and definitely went to great cause.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

Working...