IMF head's economy warning for UK: warned of economic "contagion" spreading across EU

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88Mariner
    My dick is smaller
    • Nov 2006

IMF head's economy warning for UK: warned of economic "contagion" spreading across EU

There were fears that Britain could follow Greece into a financial crisis after a global finance chief warned of economic "contagion" spreading across Europe.
    The head of the International Monetary Fund urged politicians to finalise a bail-out for the debt-laden Mediterranean country, saying that every day lost in resolving the problems risked spreading the impact "far away".
    Dominique Strauss-Kahn's comments came amid more evidence of Europe's mounting fiscal problems after Spain's debt was downgraded - a move recently applied to its under-pressure neighbour Portugal as well as Greece.
    On Wednesday, shadow chancellor George Osborne raised the spectre of the crisis affecting the public finances of the UK, which faces dealing with its own £163 billion mountain of public borrowing.
    Speaking to the annual conference of the Institute of Directors about the need to deal with the record debt, he said: "If anyone doubts the dangers that face our country if we do not, they should look at what is happening today in Greece and in Portugal."
    Economist Jonathan Loynes of Capital Economics added that Greece could be a "sovereign equivalent" of Lehman Brothers, which triggered a meltdown with its collapse in September 2008.
    Germany was holding out for more economic reforms from Greece before agreeing to an unprecedented multi-billion euro bail-out plan.
    Chancellor Angela Merkel said she wanted to see more tough measures from Athens to put the brake on soaring deficit levels before making a final commitment.
    Germany will be the biggest single contributor to the 30 billion-euro of loans being prepared for the Greeks, and Mrs Merkel has one eye on crucial regional elections in Germany on May 9.
    Earlier, the European Commission attacked the downgrading of Greek debt to the level of "junk" as not in touch with reality, pointing to the 30bn euro aid package - plus half as much again from the International Monetary Fund - as a sign of Europe's ability to pull Greece back from the economic brink.
    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

Re: IMF head's economy warning for UK: warned of economic "contagion" spreading acros

Well now she changed her tune she is saying that the rescue plan MUST be speeded up in the interest of preventing some sort of domino effect. If you ask me they are bunch of retards the lot of them. All of them are too much politicians not enough economists. They should have understood and explained the severity of the situation to the ppl, cut public spending almost completely, only utilise it to create jobs in industries which better society i.e. teaching, nursing, healthcare etc. instead they all compete who is going to be the captain on a sinking ship. bunch of fucktards
    The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• 88Mariner
      My dick is smaller
      • Nov 2006

Re: IMF head's economy warning for UK: warned of economic "contagion" spreading acros

^ YUP! I saw your post on greece commenting on how there is 'no possibility of contagion' and....then i saw this headline.

Good analogy w/ 'captain of the sinking ship'.
      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• floridaorange
        I'm merely a humble butler
        • Dec 2005

It's interesting to hear about a problem that the US isn't stepping into for once.

It goes without saying why we would not be in this case.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

We're not stepping into it. We're knee-deep in the shit, too.

----PEACE-----

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

^Guess it doesn't "go without saying" after all.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...