X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiff
    Getting Somewhere
    • Oct 2006

Wow?

This was interesting. I'm very skeptical, but damn, imagine the implications...
    Craig Venter and his team have built the genome of a bacterium from scratch and put it into a cell to make a synthetic life form
    “Only those who attempt the absurd...will achieve the impossible. I think...I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check.” - MC Escher
  • Garrick
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Wow?

so we are going to build aliens ourselves since we can't find any? stupid, imo. i hesitate to say it, but i think we're getting too smart for our own good.
    Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

i just think as technology evolves and "intelligence" advances, common sense diminishes

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

I don't find anything wrong with it, especially if they are planning on using the bacteria in the way mentioned in the article i.e. for engineering BioFuels or working towards fixing greenhouse gases.

You could draw out far-stretched comparisons to "I am Legend", but you will never know how far to push the envelope until the envelope pushes back. I for one am a firm believer in the advancement of Science and if the intent is benign, I'm all for it.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• demonAfro
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

I think this is fantastic. What I've been thinking would be great is designing hardy organisms for terraforming purposes. Get a decent payload of a combination of them and chuck it onto Mars or something and see if they can sustain themselves. Then by the time we can actually reliably get there there might be some kind of atmosphere and primordial ecosystem. Maybe

Comment

• i!!ustrious
            I got some N64 Games Yo!!
            • Mar 2008

(((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Garrick
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

i can see your point guys and i think its great for kamal's point, biofuels... there's always the mad scientist, though. just like cloning built up to cloning humans... i think that's wrong.
              Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

there will always be bad cookies in the bunch - that's the nature of the beast. But to stop the advancement of science and technology on the fears that a few bad apples could ruin it (and potentially ruin it badly) for us, I personally feel, shouldn't be the determinant against invention.
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                Originally posted by ace_dl
                Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Haziel
                  Likes a finger upthere
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Garrick
                  i can see your point guys and i think its great for kamal's point, biofuels... there's always the mad scientist, though. just like cloning built up to cloning humans... i think that's wrong.
                  Yep cloning people so we can live up till 300 years is just wrong

Comment

• 88Mariner
                    My dick is smaller
                    • Nov 2006

i, for one, welcome our bacteria-sized overlords.
                    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

pretty amazing the advances we are making!

the worrying thing is where they are leading.

Comment

• demonAfro
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Haziel
                        Yep cloning people so we can live up till 300 years is just wrong
                        Just curious, but why? (I probably fall into the mad scientist bracket btw)

Comment

• Garrick
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

if people lived to be 300, can you imagine what the world population would eventually be?

Comment

• highdesert
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Sep 2008

A 300 year old would have to eat a lot of baby fetuses to stay alive, how else would it work? Population control is built into the problem

Originally posted by Garrick
                            if people lived to be 300, can you imagine what the world population would eventually be?

Comment

• demonAfro
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

Lobsters are effectively immortal; do they have population problems

Cloning also offers the opportunity to design offspring. Since we have effectively outgrown evolution, the species can take command of its own development. Combined with extended longevity, sexual reproduction becomes obsolete and the whole population can be sterilised. At which point the population starts to control itself when most of them die of STDs

Comment

Working...