Brown Alley presents

Queens Birthday Extravaganza 2

Featuring:

Chris Fortier [Fade] (USA)
    Dubfunk [Audio Therapy, GU](SWZ)
    Ali B [AIR Recordings](UK)
    Skool Of Thought[Against The Grain](UK)

Friday June 11

Brown Alley is proud to present an evening of diverse music on Friday June 11th

FEATURING ROOMS FROM :

AGAINST THE GRAIN
    DARKBEAT
    MIXED MESSAGES

This promises to be an innovative evening showcasing the world’s greatest exponents of quality techno, breakbeat, tech-house, progressive, minimal, electro, disco, and ambient.

Each room will cater for their specific genre over the full Brown Alley Complex, in a nut shell this will be THE night for any discerning listener of modern electronica.

FULL LINEUP:

DARKBEAT ROOM

Chris Fortier (USA)

While many people may claim to know Chris’ sound, with their focus on continually labeling him one thing or another, Chris is equally as focused on his efforts to push back the musical boundaries. It is testament to the man that he continues to develop his sound and musical direction, after all, as the man says himself “I just like to play good underground music, I don’t limit myself.”

It is artists such as Chris Fortier who are inextricably linked to the underground dance music scene that are the genuinely pushing the sound forward. Chris’ determination to continue to push the envelope can be seen in all aspects of his career. Proof of this can be found on his recent triple CD compilation Balance and his recent solo production under the 40oz moniker and his stellar debut artist album As Long As The Moment Exits.

The Balance CD genuinely offers something exciting and underground to the current stale compilation market. Boasting tracks from across the musical spectrum like David Gilmore Girls, Global Communication and Floppy Sounds through to Slam, Matthew Jonson, Rabbit in the Moon and Bent. It is little wonder the CD was name checked for compilation of the year by numerous international press publications.

Under his 40oz production guise Chris has released the several EPs that musically could fit comfortably on labels such as Cocoon, Kompakt or Get Physical. Further remixes of Alexi Delano, Joshua Collins, Lee Burridge, Freaky Chakra and John Selway show Chris’ genre defying sound at it’s underground best. Taking this a step further in 2007, his debut artist album was released to countless plaudits and impeccable praise. Not satisfied with status quo, look for the boundaries to continue to be pressed and pushed with each coming musical excursion.

With a DJ career spanning 15 plus years, he has continually been a crowd favourite, confirmed by his very first residency at the legendary “Aahz” in Orlando through to more recent residencies at The Cross in London and at Twilo in New York. Since a debut European tour in 1997, Chris has gone on to consistently tour the globe behind numerous singles, remixes and no less than 9 mix albums. You can catch him as easily in Tokyo as in Buenos Aires and all points in between on any given weekend.

To those that know Fortier’s history, they know to expect plenty more to come, for those that are just getting initiated, Welcome!

Dubfunk (SWZ)

Dubfunk is a growing DJ / producer taking further solid steps in his musical experiment. His developing artistic maturity is bringing a groove blending different genres known for their simplicity and tweaked structures: techy minimal beats with an underlying progressive theme.

Dubfunk has always been a fellow follower of music. As a teen he had already reached a revelation for music thanks to many great artists such as Led Zeppelin, The Doors or Nina Simone only to mention a few. As he took on a music engineer career, he spent eight years developing music’s technical side. During this time he discovered Electronic Dance Music, finding a true passionate calling whilst listening to Northern Exposure and Global Underground compiles. This forged his interest in learning the techniques of djing and producing, seemingly the best way to create a fusion of many different musical cultures.
    2002 kicked in with his first professional experiences as a DJ; he started playing in his co-owned venue in Cairo to later become a resident of Sharm El Sheikh’s Pacha where he caught attention from big named artists. Thanks to this recognition, in 2005 he decided to move to Switzerland and set up his proper studio. He concentrated on starting a new self experiment in producing his own musical elements.

The following two years gratified this personal investment by gigs in Europe, South America and Egypt; giving him the reputation of a solid dj. Both South American tours in 2006 and 2007 were a genuine experience for him, as it provided a great source of influence and inspiration for his music – aiming him to deliver his own sounds rathar then exterior releases.

This led to the beginning of a producing frenzy; Dubfunk started his own label “Dyami and got his third track “Cruel” released on Mashtronics Records. As his productions hit charts and received support from major artists such as…. Hernan Cattaneo, Laurant Granier, John Aquaviva among others, it is no coincidence that he is now a prominent figure of Global Underground. GU has trusted him with the elaboration of 4 compiled Cd’s and has effectively given him a strong turning point in his career as his original productions and remixes reached n°1 charts.

If asked about his experience so far, he comments; “The releases I produce are never planned or written down, everything depends on my mood, feelings and own experiences. I just truly enjoy sitting in my studio and flowing with music for hours and as a result producing intimate tracks to appeal my constant obsession over music.”

AGAINST THE GRAIN ROOM – Presented by Rock Like This

Ali B (UK)

First Projects: "We did a Monday night at The Deco Bar in Richmond and ripped off the Mo’ Wax label artwork. We called it ‘No Tax’ ‘cos it was free. I never wanted to be a DJ as a youngster, I never even thought about it. I was an avid music collector and it was probably when I got to 16 that I thought ‘right, I’m going to be a DJ.’ I bought a deck from a car boot sale at Kingston Hospital for £4.55. This wicked, steel-based Pioneer belt-drive deck with a +3/-3 pitch control. I got this real shit ‘Made To Fade’ mixer and I’d mix to the radio because I only had one turntable. When everyone was into the rave scene I was more into acid jazz. I got my first gig at 17 at a bar in Richmond. Once you’re into that scene everyone wants you to come and DJ. I put on parties throughout my college years, boat parties and the like. We did Flavors at Ballooga’s on Finchley Road. As a student you have this mad following of 80/90 people.

One mate of ours would run the coachers up from Richmond it was a right result. He’d put on two seventy-seater coaches, hammer it down to get there for 10 and get back to Richmond at 3. We were on a right fucking winner. We did that for eight month’s. I was doing Friday’s at The Blue Note at the age of 19. I’d just finished college and heard that Acid Jazz were doing a club and I basically banged down the doors of the Blue Note when they were building it. I’d done loads of bar work and I was like ‘let me work here, give me some work.’

Labels and Production: "I’ve been doing this twisted electro shit, messing around with records like daft punk. At the moment I’m more interested in giving people something different, a new take on a track they know, than producing original material."

DJing: I used to do PR for Norman Jay. I rate him and I like to keep his open-mindedness in my thoughts when I’m DJing. He taught me a lot I suppose, probably unwittingly. I also love out of town gigs. There’s probably less choice in areas once you get out of London. And no-one wants to pay to get into a London club!" I really enjoy it. Canada is wicked, really exciting."

Fabric: "I remember being shown round by [Fabric Live Promoter] Steve Blonde when it was a building site. It was proper, we had the old hard hats on, up and down ladders, it was fucking amazing. I played the opening Thursday press night and I was asked to be a resident then. I’ve not missed many since - I love it. I’m lucky in that I get to play in all the rooms and change my sets accordingly. I’ve had 7 hour sets in that backroom which are just fucking amazing. I’ve got the utmost respect for fabric: that a club of that size and stature can consistently book such strong DJs. The club is bigger than the DJs that play there which gives you a license to do whatever the fuck you want. If you have a venue and bring in promoters every night you lose that continuity. It has real attention to detail and you get looked after brilliantly."

The Future: "I’ve had a good grounding but by no means have I arrived. There is still more to learn."

Skool Of Thought (UK)

Living between the UK and Australia, Skool Of Thought is the owner and label manager behind the award winning Against The Grain & SuperCharged Music record labels - home to the likes of the Freestylers, Krafty Kuts, Splitloop, Ed Solo and of course Skool Of Thought. He is the guy responsible for the enormous Groove Armada 'Superstylin' and Freestylers v Pendulum 'Painkiller' breaks remixes. He has appeared on the front cover of 3D magazine in Australia, described by IDJ magazine as 'an underrated genius' and recognized by DJ magazine as helping form the 'nu skool breaks' scene. He has produced countless breakbeat monsters over the years including Heavyweight Breaks Volumes 1 & 3, Breakspoll 3, numerous 12" singles and is currently celebrating the success of his debut artist album with Ed Solo entitled 'Random Acts Of Kindness'. To top it all off he has just launched a third label called 'Cool & Deadly' with Tayo. Phew! Time to take a lesson from Skool...

Support:

PQM (Hip Hop Set), Phil K, Rollin Connection, Ozzie La, Dave Juric, Lister, Alam, Jon Beta, Harley Augustine, Freya vs Mish, MJ, Professor Darkness, Nick Thayer, Citizen.com, Deviant Shifty Sly, JD, Flip, Protien Shake DJ’s, Abstar, Miss Max, Yenks, Dstract, Llupa, Snowie, , Nikki Sig.

Tickets:

$15 + BF EARLY BIRDS online available here

(Limited to 100 Tickets Only)

Brown Alley
    Cnr King & Lonsdale St, City

Can't believe it has taken me so long to put this up. Extremely excited about it
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies
  • dodsy87
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2006

Re: Chris Fortier,Dubfunk,Ali B,Skool Of Thought @ Brown Alley, Fri June 11

i doubt ill go. Soooooooooo sick of phil k playing at everyone of these fucking parties. Boring as bat shit!!! Its funny how everyone talks him up to be this amazing dj, and yes he is technically gifted, but the tunes he plays are really shit. Thats my two cents. Hope you have a great time lady didi. How was zabiela???

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

I know what you mean about Phil K , I have gone on record saying I get pissed off because he can play music I love but chooses not too. Although he was brilliant last time I saw him. But there is so much on you don't have to see him anyway!!

For me , it's Dubfunk. Fortier, Harley and Ozzie. I'm very happy with that thank you !! We have 3 hours Dubfunk. 3 1/2 hours of Chris Fortier . So you have 6 1/2 hours without any locals. I'm incredibly excited about this night Was only more excited about Hernan !

You really should go even if only for Dubfunk, he was the most exciting new DJ for me last year. He really has to be seen and heard to be believed . He is absolutely electrifying !! Charlie May is my favourite new Dj this year

Zabiela , not really for me. He's a turntablist, not that deep emotional stuff I love. Definitely more appeal to the guys, they seemed to love him ! Clive Henry however was amazing !! Tom Budden was pretty good as well.
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• Steve Graham
        DJ Jelly
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by dodsy87
        i doubt ill go. Soooooooooo sick of phil k playing at everyone of these fucking parties. Boring as bat shit!!! Its funny how everyone talks him up to be this amazing dj, and yes he is technically gifted, but the tunes he plays are really shit. Thats my two cents. Hope you have a great time lady didi. How was zabiela???
        there are over 20 other dj's, lol

Originally posted by DIDI
        I know what you mean about Phil K , I have gone on record saying I get pissed off because he can play music I love but chooses not too. Although he was brilliant last time I saw him. But there is so much on you don't have to see him anyway!!

For me , it's Dubfunk. Fortier, Harley and Ozzie. I'm very happy with that thank you !! We have 3 hours Dubfunk. 3 1/2 hours of Chris Fortier . So you have 6 1/2 hours without any locals. I'm incredibly excited about this night Was only more excited about Hernan !

this

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dodsy87
          They must have heard you No more phil K

Blights Bar:
          10:00 - 11:30: Harley Augustine
          11:30 - 2:30: Dubfunk (EGY)
          2:30 - 6:00: Chris Fortier (USA)
          6:00 - 7:00: Freya vs Mish
          7:00 - 8:00: Rollin Connection

Garden Bar
          10:00 - 11:00: Shifty Sly vs JD
          11:00 - 12:00: Flip
          12:00 - 2:00: Skool Of Thought (UK)
          2:00 - 3:00: Citizen.com
          3:00 - 5:00: Ali B (UK)
          5:00 - 6:00: Abstar vs Miss Max
          6:00 - 7:00: Deviant

Foyer
          10:00 - 11:00: Protien Shake
          11:00 - 12:00: Yenks vs Dstract
          12:00 - 1:00: Llupa vs Snowie
          1:00 - 2:00: Dave Juric vs Phil Moore
          2:00 - Close: Lister vs Jon Beta
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Tonight is the night !!

Comment

• dodsy87
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2006

haha. How was it??? I worked today so i didnt go. Phil K just gives me the shits, hes an arrogant fuck aswell. Thinks his shit doesnt stink. Fair enough hes good, but mate, be nice and humble, like Hernan 'Jesus on Earth' Cattaneo.

Comment

• dodsy87
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2006

And since we are in the the thread. Chris Fortier = One of the nicest guys on the planet. A true legend, heaps of respect for the man.

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

It was absolutely every bit as wonderful as I thought it would be. I got there early for Harley's set and danced solidly until the end of Chris's. Good news, Harley's and Dubfunk's sets at least were recorded, I don't know about Chris's . Harley just sounded amazing on the big sound system, he doesn't play out nearly enough in Melbourne. Maybe he can take Phil K's place ?? Just quietly Phil has always been fine with me, although I have never had a real conversation with him.

The 3 hour Dubfunk set just flew !! He was just stunning, !! Chris was great as usual, one slight complaint, he took a little time pulling out the big guns ,like Marco Bailey, Tom Hades - Nikita (Egbert Remix) a few people had left and my legs weren't working quite as well by then . But yeah really lovely unassuming person. He came over and gave me a kiss on the cheek at the end of his set. I don't know whether I mentioned it or not, but Chris played at the first ever edm event I went to and I have been to all his gigs since then. I guess I'm a familiar face

Btw Dubfunk played at Under Suspicion the next night, I went ! That was actually not a good idea It should be called Under Age Very young crowd and I have come to the conclusion that you have to grow into the more complex music. Cos they just wanted it banging. !! They were also very drunk !!

Comment

• mnbvcxz
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Feb 2006

A lot of Phil K haters haha. He's alright.

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

I certainly don't hate Phil. As I said he has always been fine as far as I'm concerned. And he is a brilliant dj. Just goes a bit to heavy on the effects for my personal taste sometimes. When he doesn't I think he is great. He actually kept me dancing for a while after Burridge last week.

Comment

Working...