• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

The dreaded DJ "No Show"

Just wondered what the [ms] crews experiences are -

You know scene - one of your favourite DJ's is playing at your favourite club. Naturally its probably not even where you live, so you travel for several hours, book tickets to guarantee entry and accomodation, maybe splash out on a pre-set meal (its going to be a long night and you may lose you appetite by the early hours of the morning). Everything is in place and you've looked forward to this for weeks.

Then you get the bad news ... such and such a star DJ couldn't make it or has a last minute bout of influenza (no doubt the booking agents got greedy and had that star name globetrotting for a few extra $$$'s - and the DJ missed the flight 'cause he fell asleep at the gate).

To top things off the no-name/no-talent replacement plays like a bedroom-beginner, doesn't have an ear for a tune and can't work the floor. Your night's turned to shite after all that effort (not to mention the wasted hard earned ??'s you've worked your arse off all week for).

In my case Sander K has been notorious - he didn't turn up at Sankey's, injured his leg playing football in the afternoon at Creamfields, and pulled his night at Pinup (Ibiza) last year (without updating his website or cancelling flyers).

Despitre his reputation I've only missed Sasha once - British Airways strike 2003. I was chatting to him at his legendary Reniassance reappearance in Ibiza later that year and he apologised (and reckoned he'd done everything to try and get there). Give his crew their due, Excession put three of us on his guest list at Tribal Gathering.

So come on - who is notorious ....and which DJ can you depend on that will turn up (Possible Hernan who bases himself in the UK when he plays Europe and Argentina when he plays America ?).

Any working DJ's that are part of [ms] - now is a chance to defend your profession!
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • Digital Junkie
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

In Toronto Carl Cox has cancelled twice within the last 2 years or so...which wasn't too bad because one of the venues you just got your tickets at the door...the other it was a party with richie hawtin and magda ($40.00 a ticket) and sven vath replaced Mr Cox. Would have rather seen Cox but sven filled his spot nicely.

Comment

• windsor1995
      Getting Somewhere
      • Oct 2004

Some friends and I went to see Zabiela in Ann Arbor ,Michigan on a Thursday night, and he did not show. It was not his fault though from what i found out, something to do with the airlines, but i was bummed because i had taken the night off work and we drove an hour to get there. It sucked but shit happens.

Comment

• rubyraks
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Digital Junkie
        In Toronto Carl Cox has cancelled twice within the last 2 years or so...which wasn't too bad because one of the venues you just got your tickets at the door...the other it was a party with richie hawtin and magda ($40.00 a ticket) and sven vath replaced Mr Cox. Would have rather seen Cox but sven filled his spot nicely.
        I'd quickly forget about cox...to see hawtin and vath together is awesome. They play really well together and often (and this includes magda ) and they all know how to bounce tunes off each other. Cox on the other hand is a totally different dj than any of them. I'd rather that lineup anyday...though I will say that Coxy's cancelled a few times when I was supposed to go as well.
        "Work like you don't need the money.
        Love like you've never been hurt.
        Dance like nobody's watching.
        Sing like nobody's listening.
        Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• Jibgolly
          Vortexuralizor
          • Jun 2004

sasha has blown it for me two times.

the first time was @ The Rubb in tampa, Florida. digweed showed up instead so it was an even trade. better even.

second time i planned for 3 months to see sasha here in atlanta (way before moving here), we got into the club only to find out nick warren had replaced him. not an even trade imo. i was devastated. almost cried. the acid made it worse.

Comment

• MJ
            Here since 2002
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
            i was devastated. almost cried. the acid made it worse.
            I`ll bet.

Lucky for me this has never happened but i could see the disapointment if it did.
            mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• demonAfro
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Dave Pearce was doing the opening for my local, and allegedly pulled out 15 minutes before his set.

Comment

• MJ
                Here since 2002
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by demonAfro
                Dave Pearce was doing the opening for my local, and allegedly pulled out 15 minutes before his set.
                It`s a pity his dad didn`t do the same thing.
                mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• Jibgolly
                  Vortexuralizor
                  • Jun 2004

happy 2000 buckwheat. fuck off.

Comment

• Hos
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Musical Journey
                    Originally posted by demonAfro
                    It`s a pity his dad didn`t do the same thing.
                    :ROFLMAO:
                    black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• picklemonkey
                      Double hoodie beer monster
                      • Jun 2004

Jimmy Van M has cancelled in KC two out of the past 3 appearances... basically twice in two years. When he finally showed up, he was playing a bunch of cheesy shit that made the whole thing not even worth seeing.

Comment

• wookiemofo
                        Getting warmed up
                        • Jun 2004

If you listen to Skinners Kiss set from last year (4-7-03), diggers starts out talking about being sick in minnapolis, and taking a 40 hour train ride from MPSL to NY, thats my no show experience!

Comment

• diskofreak
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

dj vibe didn't show up to spirit this past sat, so it was just victor calderone, but it wasn't his fault, something with flights, he was here last time he was scheduled in nyc, they refunded tickets to whoever wanted the refund, i was at sander that night, even though sander was a show, i don't understand why he went on at 3
                          i could guess, he was at canada the night before, i got to crobar at 11, they weren't letting anyone in the main room, they where still "setting up" maybe his flight was late or something, but it sucks cause the club closes techinaclly at 6,6:30 :?

Comment

• Weizy
                            MCast Resident DJ
                            • Jun 2004

Re: The dreaded DJ "No Show"

Diggers himself pulled a classic no show in Minneapolis a couple of years back...

Comment

• timkell
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

I had a Sander no show too at Shelter a few years back. Good thing, though, because it forced me to watch a sweet five hour set by Cusick in the basement. Awesome!
                              FunkyCozy
                              A FREE Minimal/Techno/Tech House Party @ Anu
                              Every Last Saturday of the Month
                              Residents: Jonathan Beech, Sinukus, Tim McCormack
                              Next Cozy: Saturday, October 28
                              3rd annual Halloween bash, FunkyCozy vs. [Kontrol]
                              with guests Alland Byallo (Liebe Detail) and Craig Kuna
                              Wear a costume!

Comment

Working...