Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nbpgt
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

the worst is when the club knows flights are all screwed & the person will be a no show but still take your money at the door without batting an eye or telling a secret... that happened here about 8 months ago with digweed.. he had some jacked up flights & the club tried to sneak a 3.5 hr DFUSE set, thinking noone would notice.

Comment

• simonr
      Transitionator
      • Jun 2004

That's a win win situation for the club -

(1.) a reduced fee for the stand-in DJ.
      (2.) a killin on money from the door.

not to mention

(3.) extra booze sales from punters drowning their sorrows.

plus

(4.) the better the DJ and set ... the less chance of you hitting the bar .. no-one wants top get a round of drinks in when an amazing tune's just been dropped. Shite music = more bar takings as you try to make the best out of a bad situation.
      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• konfussion
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Re: The dreaded DJ "No Show"

Yep, Sasha was a no show here a few years ago. Fortunately Digweed filled his spot.

Comment

• kfitz
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

Coxy cancelled his US tour last year due to illness. Other than that, I've been very fortunate...

Comment

• superdave
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Sasha didn't make it to WMC 2001 because of his ear drum/car accident. Digweed played by himself and tore it up. One of the best sets I've seen him or anyone play.
            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• White_Hindu
              Getting Somewhere
              • Dec 2004

My story is a little different.

In DC, there is a new club called Fur, a 21+ venue. Well, opening night, they let people 18+ into the door for 1 night only, and who was playing there?

PAUL VAN DYK!

I ordered my tickets online for $35 and got a bunch of friends to do the same, and then we all pregamed and drove up to DC(20 minute drive). We got to Fur, and the line was fucking long. If you ordered tickets online, you had to wait in like a 40 minute line and pick your name off a list to claim a little paper ticket. THEN, you had to wait in a mile-long line in order to get through the front door. It was like 30 degrees outside(fahrenheit), and my friends and I got into the back of the line. About 30 minutes into the wait, PVD had already started his set, and we hadn't moved. We were all super pissed, but decided that if we got somewhat close to the front in 30 minutes we would still see most of the set. 30 more minutes in the blistering cold, we had moved MAYBE 5 feet. We said 'Fuck Fur' and left, only to get fucking stoned as to forget the night. The next day I got an email from fur saying a bunch of shit about how they were sorry and understaffed. Everyone had finally gotten in with about 30 minutes left in the set.

They didn't credit back my 35 fucking dollars, but they said they'd give me free tickets to Marco V next week.

TOO FUCKING BAD IT WAS 18+ OPENING NIGHT ONLY. I COULDN'T EVEN GET IN HAD I CLAIMED MY TICKETS!

Fuck Fur.

Comment

• GrantT
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Sander K did a no-show here in Australia recently ... surprise, surprise!

Around the time of SARS there were a whole tonne of last minute cancellations. Another of Sasha who was booked and then pulled out to "work on Involver" which was conveniently timed with WMC.

I suppose we're luckier than most areas, simply because it takes so much longer to get to Asia for most of the headliners - meaning they can't "be sick" at the drop of a hat.

Props to Hybrid. Their tour schedule was nuts when they were here a few months back - they played for nearly 5 hours on Friday night, hammered themselves on the naughties all Saturday daytime, went to another city and played another extended gig on Saturday night, hammered themselves through til Sunday morning, went to another city then played a Sunday afternoon and Sunday evening gig as well.

Now that's how you do it.
                Australia's best - .AUdio on www.protonradio.com

Comment

• mmglobal
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Sep 2004

I can't tell you how many times Jimmy Van M has backed out of a gig I was planning on seeing. Now I just assume he'll not show. He's the biggest dissapointment in electronic music right now. Where's his follow up album, or recent mixes? when's the last time he dropped a kick ass set in a major venue? What's his deal???? He used to know how to work the floor!
                  Peace.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                    Double hoodie beer monster
                    • Jun 2004

^ agreed. I don't understand how he pulled that Bedrock CD1 out of his ass, because it's nothing like anything else related to his name

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by fishingnut
                      tenglia vs cox II was going to happen last year, but cox got sick :cry:
                      Was that the one they were to have on July 3rd. I was in NYC that week and wished to myself that I could've been there to see that, but by the time that went on I was back here in dreary old Ohio.
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• superdave
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Sounds like Jimmy van m has missed a lot of shows being sick. Does he have some chronic illness or just doesn't show for other reasons?
                        Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• nbpgt
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

they had a jvm / burridge show here a few years back & thankfully he showed & surprisingly he played well & i think burr influenced him to play a little funkyer

Comment

• swedetech
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

I'm suprised how often the djs DO SHOW, considering playing all over the world switching flights back and forth - sleeping late - work all night - getting fucked up- waking up next to some hottie - etc etc etc

I would be missing half my giggs on a regular basis... (I guess thats the reason I'm not a dj...)
                            ---------------

check out http://www.stockmonk.net for all your graphic needs!!! and www.jnmedia.com for custom websites, animation, 3d and more...

Comment

Working...