X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Back to Basics

I was contemplating what my favorite intro's were to mixes tonight to add to the thread, when I looked up Digweed's 1995 essential mix on youtube... The opening track from mix 1 (Young American Primitive - Daydream (Zoe Magic)) starts and literally changed my mood and put me in a better place almost instantly...

Cutting to the chase, do you think that the genre at large has progressed too much for it's own good? Do you think EDM needs to "get back to basics" sometimes? Pls discuss.

Intro tracks to Digweeds EM from 1995...

It was fun while it lasted...
  • jay813
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2005

Re: Back to Basics

the whole evolution of edm or just music in general is a double edged sword, eventually we'll be on the outside looking in, not understanding the music of today. what makes you feel the way this song makes you feel, will make some kid feel the same way with the new stuff. we will always look back to a certain period we wish music could return to, ie i would like rap/hiphop to return to the 90's golden era, but will never happen.

i say instead of fighting change, embrace it while savoring your experiences from days/music past.

i guess i feel lucky enough to like the new stuff (edm) as much as i like some of the old stuff and what i mean by old stuff is the year 2002 and newer,lol.

Comment

• Dhar_2
      meat and potatoes
      • Jun 2004

i prefer the older stuff!

the new stuffs good, but it lacks the soul and vibe of the older stuff. i doubt we will see epic cds like northern exposure ever again

Comment

• hypoluxxa
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Totally agree with you! I still have hope, I'm listening to Diggers newest essential mix and I actually like most of the tracks. With that being said there's nothing like well produced tracks by people who know what the fook they're doing.

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Music felt innocent back then.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• dusk
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

I agree and disagree with a lot posted here... simply because you can never recapture the feelings the first time you heard an "epic" album, yes there were some shaky years in EDM however... listening to JD, Guy J, WOW, Hernan, Sasha, Nick Warren, Seth Troxler and dare I even say Dave Seaman this last year.. I can easily say that I've been blown away (again), I find that I'm enjoying the tech house/ techno sound more now, couple years ago it was all about progressive before then it was all trance... so I guess it really depends on one's taste and since music is always evolving (as long as we evolve) - we are all in luck
            ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• pumper&dumper
              Dumped but never pumped!
              • Oct 2008

I thought this was a thread about the Leeds club

Comment

• simonr
                Transitionator
                • Jun 2004

Is Basics still going ?

Remember going to the original 3 x floor dump for some great nights back in the day.
                sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• pumper&dumper
                  Dumped but never pumped!
                  • Oct 2008

Yeah its still going. Busy and always good too. Yeah that was at the Pleasure Rooms, they did the Sat night and a great house night called Up Yer Ronson was on the Friday

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Two hijacks in one thread!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Richard_UK
                      Fresh Peossy
                      • Jul 2009

I noticed that clubs and music seemed to follow the same trend after the late 90's.
                      Loads of quantity, not as much quality.
                      My main gripe is the state of Trance & Prog House. Gone down the tubes big style and if it gets 'back to basics' - it would be a massive improvement.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by feather
                        Two hijacks in one thread!
                        im not adverse to threads evolving in the least

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...