• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Transitions (Episode 301) June 6th 2010 w/ Layo and Bushwaka

Transition 301

With hot new releases on Cocoon, Intec and SCI+TEC there's a real heads down techno vs tech house feel to this weeks show before we conclude on a progressive high with Bedrock's lastest extraordinary signing.

Hessen's Johannes Heil has a great body of work behind him, with artist LP releases on Kanzleramt. Here he teams up with Heiko Schäfer (aka Heiko M/S/O), a very important figure in the Rhein Main Techno scene. A real club track 'You Should Know' has a nod to the Chicago sound, with deep vocals, along with some nice percussions and wild pitch strings.

The Cocoon double bill continues as the A-side of this release also provides Ahmet Sisman's Cocoon debut, increasing his profile on the German Techno scene after his retro '98 percussive tribal infused stormer 'Buiya' [Stock5 STOCK LTD002-6] became a popular track for Sven Väth. With it's percussion, modular acid and liberal smattering of echo reverb 'Hey Now' will no doubt be massive during those Cocoon Monday night ats Amnesia (Ibiza) this season.

Anyone that caught Diggers' momentous Essential Mix last week will already be familiar with the next two productions. Firstly there's Dirty Doering and 'Loco' which opened John's magical 2-hour EM journey via the Vince Watson Ambient and and D-Func Remixes. Here John uses a 3rd version c/o Alexander Kowalski to pick up the pace.

DiRTY dOERing is Berlin's Velten Doering, who also runs a successful record store 'Freizeitglauben' and digital label 'Rauschenbach Music'. Discography wise this is a bit of a tester, as DiRTY dOERing released the 'Papa Loco' EP on Rauschenbach Music [RMB001] last year, which also includes a Kowalski dub edit. However 'Loco' is now being revamped with a new 'Loco Remixes' package for Damage Music Berlin.

Naples born Danilo Vigorito started DJ'ing in the early 90s become associated with the ‘Neapolitan Techno School’ alongside Marco Carola and Gaetano Parisio. A truly versatile producer, Danilo is adept enough to draw influence from all shades of house and techno, making for a style which is truly his own.

After remixing Plastikman’s ‘Kriket’ Danilo's debut for Richie Hawtin & John Acquaviva's imprint follows in the footsteps of other Plus 8 artists like Uto Karem and Julian Jeweil who both featured on T294 (already vyying for Transitions of the year in many's affections). 'Prima' is a tension-laden track whose relentless pace builds with rolling beats as Detroit inspired pads that wash over the entire groove with percussive surprises invading the frequency range. Near to its conclusion the entire track temporarily recedes allowing the dance floor to catch its breath just in time for the anticipated release of Prima’s full force to stunning effect.

Jon Rundell has been a key figure in the re-launch of Carl Cox's mighty Intec label which had folded in 2006. Re-invigorated by releases from the likes of Marco Bailey, Mark Maitland, Adam Sheridan & Jim Rivers, Rundell follows up his recent 'Damager' with an other dark techno destroyer in 'Limiter' which is surely destined to be blasted from that awesome Funktion One at Carl's now legendary 'Join Our Revolution' summer residency @ Space.

The techno vibe continues with Soma Quality Recordings founders Slam (aka Stuart McMillan & Orde Meikle) who are also reknowned for their massive Glasgow 'Pressure' residency and reach their 11th production of the 15,000 capacity Slam Tent at the T in The Park, which sold out in an hour again this year ! With a true passion for the electronic underground scene and music here they call in one of the up & coming guns for hire in Alan Fitzpatrick to remix 2008's 'City Destroyer'. Alan's magical touch gives the original a fresh re-interpretation, cleverly restructuring the fundamental elements to increase momentum, driving beats, with added industrial clanging and a dark reverberating theme.

Madrid 4-deck legend and highly decorated DJ|Producer Cristian Varela's Bedrock debut is a fine piece of work. 'Colmedream' is a hypnotic cross-fusion of techno vs experimental counterpoint with a melodic pseudo-classical motif - great stuff. Varela's 'Col Me' EP is out now and also includes funk-fuelled percussive workout par excellence ‘Perras A Tutti’ & darker twisted gem ‘Etiam’. Clear proof that Cristian Varela is indeed a true master at work.

Next up is Toronto native Carlo Lio and some real heads down techno c/o 'Musique' part of a 6 track EP for Dubfire's SCI+TEC label. Carlo will be appearing at Mr Cox's Revolution in August.

We end with T294 graduate Ian O'Donovan hot from his blistering and much acclaimed Anabatic EP [HYPE MUZIK|043-HM]. Signed to Bedrock Ian really ups the ante with his 3 track EP slated for a June 14th release and dedicated to the cause of bring back the big productions to clubland. With A-side 'Aurora Borealis' looking set to be even bigger than 2009's summers Bedrock smash 'Reflections' John gives us a preview of the B-side.

Out June 14th

'Horizons' has a beautiful celestial theme that make this a perfect motion picture soundtrack, but also a great club track that is reminiscent in parts to Quivver's Space Manoeuvres. The big beats, lush strings and intricate compositional layers make this a joy to behold.

Bedrock does it again ... simply stunning.

Guests this week are Layo and Bushwaka.

John Digweed - Transitions 301 (Kiss100) 6th June 2010

01. Johannes Heil & Heiko M/S/O - You Should Know [Cocoon Recordings COR10"005]
    02. Ahmet Sisman - Hey Now [Cocoon Recordings COR10"005]
    03. DiRTY dOERing - Loco (Alexander Kowalski Remix) [Damage Music Berlin DMBpromo]
    04. Danilo Vigorito - Prima [Plus 8 Records PLUS8113]
    05. Jon Rundell - Limiter [Intec Digital Promo]
    06. Slam - City Destroyer (Alan Fitzpatrick Remix) [Paragraph Recordings PARA007]
    07. Cristian Varela - Colmedream [Bedrock Records BED89]
    08. Carlo Lio - Musique [SCI+TEC Digital Audio TEC040]
    09. Ian O'Donovan - Horizons [Bedrock Records Bed90]

Layo & Bushawaka Guest Mix (Kiss100) 6th June 2010

01. Nicolas Jaar - Time For Us [Wolf+Lamb]
    02. Jairo Catelo - Suspicious Minds (Afrilounge & Liapin Remix) [Kiara Records]
    03. Cesare vs. Disorder - Get On With It (Anthony Collins Remix) [Safari Electronique]
    04. Cabo San Roque - Calypso (Luciano remix) [Bruchstuecke Records]
    05. Jet Project - Zuma [Get Digital Music]
    06. DJ W!ld & Mr K - Heart in Hell [Bloop Recordings]
    07. Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts - Can't Have Everything [Circus Company]
    08. Pawel - Lines [Ransom Note]
    09. KZA - Gothenergy (The Revenge Remix) [Endless Flight]
    10. SIS - Linda [Connaisseur Recordings]
    11. Franck Valat - Land of the Lost [Eminor Records]
    12. SIS - Sceam [Cocoon Recordings]
    13. Danilo Vigorito - I Saw The Light [Plus 8 Records]
    14. Mihalis Safras - San Trope (Oxia remix) [Material]
    15. Nina Kraviz - I'm Gonna Get You [Rekids]

Layo & Bushawaka Bio

www.layoandbushwacka.com

Layo & Bushwacka! are one of electronic music’s most esteemed duos. Comprising of Matthew ‘Bushwacka’ B, a percussionist in the London School Symphony Orchestra who was converted into a member of the infamous Rat Pack after a warehouse party in ’88, and Layo Paskin, a North Londoner immersed in the acid house scene who met Mr C at one of the legendary Clink Street parties in 1988, before together setting up their world renowned night club, The End. It was via their mutual friend Mr C that Layo & Bushwacka! first met, whilst Matthew was working at his studio, and by the mid 90s the two had started writing music together. Over a decade later, the partnership has yielded three artist albums, three mix albums, internationally renowned club residencies and a superb record label.

By 1999 they’d already composed their debut album, ‘Low Life’, released on End Recordings, the label spawned by The End. The album announced the arrival of the duo as a force in electronic music, with a record that brought together electro, house and breakbeat fused with blues, dub and downtempo, all underpinned and informed by their collective experience of underground culture. This inclusive and open minded approach to sound became the blueprint for their future work.

Their sophomore album followed in 2002, this time released on the mighty XL Recordings. Entitled ‘Night Works’, the record featured their unforgettable top ten hit ‘Love Story’, and took their sound onto a bigger and broader canvas, selling 100,000 copies in the process. The accompanying live show brought further acclaim with stunning shows from Homelands to Sonar, whilst their famous DJ sets had now garnered residencies at some of the world’s finest clubs including Space in Ibiza, Sirena in Brasil and of course The End in London.

Their End residency, known as All Night Long, became one of the capital’s most revered nights with Layo & Bushwacka! taking the club through an edifying tour-de-force of electronic music. The night gave birth to their second mix album ‘All Night Long’, following the success of their first ‘The End’ in conjunction with Mr C, also released on XL Recordings, in the late 90s. The album was a perfect reflection of their DJ sets, inspirational, educational and all encompassing it slaloms through all manner of house music and even their own reworks of such timeless classics as Bebel Gilberto’s ‘So Nice’ and Sly & The Family Stone’s ‘Dance To The Music’, all without missing a beat.

The expansive musical tastes demonstrated on ‘All Night Long’ came together perfectly with the release of their third artist album, ‘Feels Closer’, in February 2006. Released on their newly launched label, Olmeto Records, ‘Feels Closer’ saw them broaden their sonic palette with the addition of live musicians, including legendary percussionist Mino Cineleu, on a record that unites their myriad of influences without ever losing sight of their electronic background and home territory. Highlights of the record include Green Velvet’s vocal turn on the electrifying electro-techno of ‘Life 2 Live’, the warm downtempo of ‘Sunshine in Ipanema’, featuring the talents of Brasilian legend Rogerio Flausino, and the jaw-droppingly incredible ‘Isn’t This A Lovely Day’, for which the boys fuse vocals from Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong with some killer live percussion. The album was again highly critically acclaimed and cemented their reputations among dance music’s most gifted.

Since the release of the album, their label Olmeto has gone from strength to strength, releasing a consistent stream of choice nuggets from the album, with exclusive remixes and B sides. The impressive roster of remixers has included the likes of Loco Dice, Jesse Rose, Green Velvet and UNKLE. Bushwacka! has also released some fantastic solo 12”s on the label, and as time goes on Olmeto will continue to provide an exclusive outlet for Layo and Matthew’s creativity. Olmeto’s monthly residency at The End, which has taken the place of the All Night Long residency, sees Layo & Bushwacka! continue to play extended and far reaching sets of electronica in the main room, whilst their impeccable programming has seen them bring in two of dance music’s most promising labels Simple Records and Freerange to provide music for The End’s second room and sister bar AKA at the Olmeto nights.

The most recent addition to Layo & Bushwacka!’s catalogue is their mix album, Global Underground 33: Rio. Born out of the ongoing love story between the duo and their second home of Brasil, Layo and Matthew have a unique and unshakeable relationship with the world’s most effervescent nation. Disc one sees the boys scour their record collections, revisiting gems from the past twenty years, flowing through the music that helped shape the DJs they’ve become, whilst disc two represents the new wave of electronic music with a track listing that includes the most dynamic producers in dance music today.

Layo & Bushwacka!’s reputation as two of the world’s foremost DJ duos is rock solid. Three artist albums have proven them remarkably talented producers, capable of mixing styles, tempos and genres to create enduring and engaging electronic music. Their trio of mix albums and international club residencies have shown they are masters of the turntables, sonic connoisseurs who can guide a dance floor on an epic journey through the many facets of their sound. Their label Olmeto meanwhile has become a bastion for quality, a label that, much like its figureheads, has become a rubber stamped seal of class.
    Last edited by simonr; June 7, 2010, 02:39:54 PM.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • demonAfro
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Transitions (Episode 301) June 6th 2010 w/ Layo and Bushwaka

Well, I was massively looking forward to L&B, but then Kiss seem to have decided not to broadcast it. Boo hoo.

I'm sure you got the tracklist too eventually....

Layo and Bushwaka

Nicolas Jaar - Time For Us [Wolf+Lamb]
    Jairo Catelo - Suspicious Minds (Afrilounge & Liapin Remix) [Kiara Records]
    Cesare vs. Disorder - Get On With It (Anthony Collins Remix)
    Cabo San Roque - Calypso (Luciano Remix) [Bruchstuecke Records]
    Jet Project - Zuma [Get Digital Music]
    DJ W!ld/Mr K - Heart in Hell [Bloop Recordings]
    Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts - Can't Have Everything [Circus Company]
    Pawel - Lines [Ransom Note]
    KZA - Gothenergy (The Revenge Remix) [Endless Flight]
    SIS - Linda [Connaisseur Recordings]
    Franck Valat - Land of the Lost [Eminor Records]
    SIS - Sceam [Cocoon Recordings]
    Danilo Vigorito - I Saw The Light [Minus]
    Mihalis Safras - San Trope (Oxia Remix) [Material]
    Nina Kraviz - I'm Gonna Get You [Rekids]
    Last edited by demonAfro; June 8, 2010, 07:39:55 AM.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Layo Bushwacka mix ought o be interesting.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• sakio pod
        SALAD TOSSER
        • Jun 2004

Ian O'Donovan - Horizons [Bedrock Records Bed90]

wOw

Comment

• Dhar_2
          meat and potatoes
          • Jun 2004

how come kiss decided not to broadcast it?

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

What, they didn't broadcast the L&B mix for sure? I was looking forward to checking it out. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sakio pod
              Ian O'Donovan - Horizons [Bedrock Records Bed90]

wOw
              Wow wow wow!

I'm thinking of floridaorange's Back to Basic thread, tracks like this makes me think there's hope yet. No matter how deep and twisted we go, the music needs to be balanced/accented with moments like this otherwise music just becomes miserable.

Comment

• Selerman
                Fresh Peossy
                • Jun 2010

very nice! i like it!
                high quality mp3 Miike Snow - abcmuzic.com
                Last edited by Selerman; July 5, 2010, 07:35:45 AM.

Comment

• funkykarma
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jan 2006

Guest mix from L&B is sweet, and what can I say about the Diggers' mixes that haven't been said before, showcasing some simply outstanding music, and they sound better with each and every listen!

Comment

Working...