X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hydrosonic
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

Review: Sasha & Guy J at Shindig's 18th Birthday

So this Friday Sasha & Guy J rocked up into town for Shindig's 18th birthday. Shindig is a house music night that has seen (to my count) five different venues in Newcastle, as it has shifted about owing to different circumstances. It used to be a weekly affair up until last summer, when dwindling attendances as well as the owners' weariness meant that it was no longer really viable to have it so often. As a result, the night left the then main venue, Digital, but continued to have one-off events every month or so, at alternative clubs, meaning it lived on. And so it returned to the Funktion One-endowed Digital two days ago.

Having arrived about 11ish, I caught some of the ever-reliable resident, Scott Bradford of Lexicon Avenue, before Guy J took over. Now, I've been impressed with a lot of his production work these past few years, so expected to enjoy his set - and I did. Some lush, mellow proggy numbers, mixed up with some more tech-y tunes. Doubtless some of them will turn out to be Guy J's work; the only ID I can recall is Robert Babicz's Remote Kiss.

But let's make no mistake about it: this night was very much about Sasha. Ordinarily, chances are a club night with Sasha on the bill would be orientated around him anyway, but especially this time. Sasha was last in Newcastle in December 2006, in Digital, when somebody threw a glass at him during his set, prompting him, quite understandably, to stop playing and leave. Thus nigh-on four years have surpassed since "The Man Like" was last here - and you could sense the anticipation within the up-for-it crowd as Sasha appeared at the decks, about to take over from Guy J.

Sasha's opening tune at 0115 was typically spacey (I did expect it to be Yousef's Come Home, but it was nothing like it), and heralded in a 2-and-three-quarter hour journey. This was my first time seeing Sasha without Digweed, and it was excellent - you could tell he was really "on his game". He started deep, and shifted through the gears, crafting some fine moments, rocking that soundsystem using those Pioneer CDJ2000s. Some IDs:

Juspio - Frozen Light (Chris Fortier 40oz Remix), the tune that Diggers used ever-so-effectively as a bridge in his EM;
    King Unique - 2000000 Suns (sounded huge!);
    Cirez D - Glow in the dark (dub), again, brilliant on that system, followed by a remix of it;
    Carl Craig - At Les (one of Christian Smith's remixes)

The best moment came in the last hour: his use of Nic Fanciulli's remix of Saints and Sinners and the marvellous I Feel Love, which I managed to capture (excuse the far-from-ideal audio):

Quite the moment!

He finished with the Chemical Brothers' Escape Velocity, adding to their catalogue of brilliant closing tunes, and then an unknown d'n'b/breaks tune which began with the sample the Chems have also used, "It began in Afrika..."

A brilliant night, certainly. Here are all the videos I took, some of which the audio is admittedly quite poor:
    Mark
    Attached Files
    320 requester
  • jackdaniels
    Addiction started
    • Aug 2008

Re: Review: Sasha & Guy J at Shindig's 18th Birthday

Sounded like a top night.
    sigpic

Comment

• chunky
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Jan 2006

I heard the venue was half full! Is this true?
      Originally posted by res0nat0r
      OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Sounds very similar to Sankeys last night where he was a great form - the only annoying thing is that it ends up with 10 mins arsing around befiore he hits the 2000's but then he always finishes in cue - meaning you don't even get your 3 x hours.

'Yeah Yeah' sounded huge again + he dropped some real bombs throughout.
        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Hydrosonic
          Gold Gabber
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chunky
          I heard the venue was half full! Is this true?
          Well, it certainly wasn't full, that's for sure! Maybe three-quarters-full. But that's part of the problem it's been facing the past few years - dwindling demand. Only the likes of Axwell, Prydz, Fatboy Slim tend to get the place packed to the rafters nowadays...
          But, I noticed the crowd level didn't change much during the night - large majority had stayed till the end. I didn't mind that it wasn't sold-out; there was room to manouevre in places, and didn't have to queue too long for drinks. And the people who were there were well up for it, and I didn't detect any posers/wreckheads who were wondering why Sash! was sounding so different

Simon, I knew you would have been there last night! Yes, he doesn't come without his baggage, does Sasha
          320 requester

Comment

• klangfabrik
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by hydrosonic
            sash! Was sounding so different

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Nice review
              Originally posted by TheVrk
              it IS incredible isn't it??
              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• dusk
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting the vids mate.
                ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Dzone
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jul 2004

Nice Review..thnx
                  ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• discobunnywalker
                    Fresh Peossy
                    • May 2007

Good Review mate, last time I went to shindig was for the 'Love Parade' that didn't really happen!!, All I cam remember is being blown away by Danny Rampling playing 2 hours of the best house music I have ever heard, then Diggers coming on and playing a set that took a little bit of time to get going, but when id did wow!!!!

Comment

Working...