X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

Afghanistan to be raped

Track your personal stock portfolios and watch lists, and automatically determine your day gain and total gain at Yahoo Finance

over 1 trillion $ in mineral deposits to be raped and pillaged by the developed world.
    The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX
  • energizerbunny
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re: Afghanistan to be raped

they wont get rich from their own natural resources just like all the countries in Africa haven't. Sad but true.

www.myspace.com/lisasant
    www.myspace.com/discotecamusic
    www.djmag.ae
    www.bringthebeats.com

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

No, the U.S. Didn’t Just ‘Discover’ a $1T Afghan Motherlode

Despite what you may read this morning, the U.S. military did not just “discover” a trillion dollars’ worth of precious minerals in Afghanistan.
      The New York Times today proclaimed that Afghanistan is apparently poised to become “the Saudi Arabia of lithium” — a metal used to produce gadgets like iPods and laptops. The discovery will also, according to Pentagon documents quoted by the Times, fundamentally transform the country’s opium-reliant economy.
      But the military (and observers of the military) have known about Afghanistan’s mineral riches for years. The U.S. Geological Survey and the Navy concluded in a 2007 report that “Afghanistan has significant amounts of undiscovered nonfuel mineral resources,” including ”large quantities of accessible iron and copper [and] abundant deposits of colored stones and gemstones, including emerald, ruby [and] sapphire.”
      Not to mention that the $1 trillion figure is — at best — a guesstimate. None of the earlier U.S military reports on Afghan’s mineral riches cite that amount. And it might be prudent to be wary of any data coming out of Afghanistan’s own Mines Ministry, which “has long been considered one of the country’s most corrupt government departments,” The Wall Street Journal reports.

And the timing of the “discovery” seems just a little too convenient. As Blake Hounshell at Foreign Policy notes, the Obama administration is struggling to combat the perception that the Afghan campaign has “made little discernible progress,” despite thousands of additional troops and billions of extra dollars.
      Still, Pentagon officials are touting the find as a potential economic game-changer — and one that could end decades of conflict. But whether it’s oil or coltan, rich pockets of resources are always a mixed blessing. Just ask children in Congo, home to 80 percent of the world’s coltan supply, who were forced to mine for the precious metal that was later used to manufacture tech gadgets.

This sounds like the same thing as the new yorker article i read the other month which looks like it is now online here:

Can Bolivia become the Saudi Arabia of the electric-car era?

It is going to be so hard to economically create the infrastructure to efficiently mine and haul away and process this type of thing that in bolivia it will probably never be viable, probably even more so in a place like afghanistan.

Comment

• Kiff
        Getting Somewhere
        • Oct 2006

And ironically, the New York Times comes out with an article titled "Setbacks Cloud Afghan Pullout Plans" after these resources are discovered. Just makes you wonder if it's the "setbacks" or the trillion dollars in resources that will delay our "leave" from the region.
        “Only those who attempt the absurd...will achieve the impossible. I think...I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check.” - MC Escher

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

lol @ "raped". You goddamn tool.

in b4 "No Blood 4 Lithium"
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• dig72
            Gold Gabber
            • Nov 2004

Interesting article, talks a bit about everything including subject at hand.

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
            Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

Working...