X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dzone
    Platinum Poster
    • Jul 2004

Report: Hernan, Steve Lawler & Dj Chus @ Dubai

This weekend had all elements to be one of high quality as it marks my 5th wedding anniversary and we had Hernan, Steve & Dj Chus in Dubai and defo the 3 of them can rock any party.
    Before I start my report, I have a confession to make, recently I’ve been one of the critics of Steve Lawler, Unfortunately that most of the sets I got my hands on did not really work for me, but man I must have been getting the wrong sets coz he destroyed the place and reminded me of Steve Lawler that I loved in the lights out days.

The event was Peppermint ( which used to be a regular club nite few years back) 6th anniversary, however now they organize one-off nights every now and then, this event took place in Dubai WTC convention center, so big hall with lots of space. The wife and I arrived at 11:15 to find a massive hall (I guess it can take up to 2500) with 25% capacity only filling the place, Dj Chus was working things out.
    Dj Chus, playing the trademark of Chus & Ceballos, triple house mixing with vocals, drums and all sort of Jungle sounds, it was great. Vishal (FunkyKarma) showed up as well as couple of other hundred clubbers.

About 11:45 Dj Chus started to take the music into the next level and the crowd loved it (Dubai clubbing crowed is the worst thing about last night) and I saw Hernan @ the back stage. I was personally expecting Steve Lawler to take over from DJ Chus as he can defo build strong head fuck triple shit on what Dj Chus started, but to our surprise, Hernan came on at 12.

It’s always good to see Hernan, he is such a talented DJ and have this unique sound, also from my discussion with him one time he seemed like a nice guy and very down to earth. Last night his set was great, again the trademark of Hernan, Deep, melodic with lots of sounds…etc, but it did not fit very well with what Dj Chus was doing just before him, but he through couple of killer tracks (I am not a transporter, but I am sure Vish can answer this Q) by this time the place was full and I found Dj Chus next to us on the dance floor, had a quick chat with him and showed my appreciation for his set and the superb music production with Ceballos , indeed the discussion included the Big Q, who will win the world cup ? and he got his money on Spain as you might expect

Hernan was doing what he do best, then at 1:20 Steve Lawler came on the back stage and his manager was getting his gear ready, hernan was playing a tune from John digweed recent EMix.
    Now, I have to stop here, coz last time I saw Steve Lawler was back in Global Gathering 2004 @ the Bedrock arena, and he rocked the place like no Tomorrow, but as I mentioned in my intro, most of the sets I got from the internet as of last was not really up to what I used to hear from Steve. So I was really excited about his set, but was not sure what to expect.

His First Track started with male voice saying “Lights out” and an amazing light, lazier and percussion sound blended all together for 1 min into and then base kicked in and the place went NUTTS, what an intro, I had this shivers, I could not believe it. From this moment on he played some of most dirty, sexy, triply sounds I heard in long time the 1 ½ he played we incredible ….. Amazing is an understatement.

The four of us were dancing nonstop till the end of the party (3:00 AM) at one point around 2:30 I was kind of tired, but the music was so good I could not leave, I felt that I might miss out, so I kept dancing till 5 min before the end and even when the wife and I went out we were still dancing.

All in all great night indeed, it’s always great to meet Vishal, Top guy and thanks to Dj Chus, Hernan & Esp thanks to Steve Lawler who made my 5 anniversary unforgettable.

Here is Steve Lawler into

^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^
  • trick12
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jul 2007

Re: Report: Hernan, Steve Lawler & Dj Chus @ Dubai

upload them to youtube and then copy the link to ms
    Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• simonr
      Transitionator
      • Jun 2004

Great in depth report Mo + congrats on your anniversary

Sounds like a fantastic night ... I'm aiming to make it over to your turf in 2011.

Lawler can be electric when he's on form with that dirty tribal house vibe (saw him on that old Space Terrace before Sasha in 2004 and he was awesome).

Assume Vish has the pics then !
      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Ha ha - sweet vid .... nice to see Vish throwing some shapes & moves there.
        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Dzone
          Platinum Poster
          • Jul 2004

Thanks mate...it was a great nite indeed
          Not sure Vish took pics, i got couple on my phone and will upload them later after the game.

When i see you on the 2nd of october we shall agree on 2011 Dubai plans
          ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

Definately !!
            sigpicSimonR

Comment

• coleby761
              Are you Kidding me??
              • May 2008

Thanks for the report Mo. Sounds like maybe a tough spot for Hernan in between those 2. I absolutely love the direction Lawler's music has gone last 18 months or so. I was losing hope too. Sounds like a great night and a good anniversary. Congrats

Comment

• trick12
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jul 2007

sounds dark and wicked
                Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• funkykarma
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jan 2006

Damn Mo, didn't know it was you 5th anniversary, CONGRATS to you and your missus! Great to see the both of you enjoying yourselves.....Dzone is right, the crowd is clearly the worst thing about clubbing in Dubai, it tends to take a certain something out of the night, but still quality, especially Lawler!!!!!!! Destruction!!!!!! Couldn't ID many of his tunes except he played the new Gary Beck one, and Hernan dropped a couple of his tracks from the new Ren and also the amazing Aurora Borealis......very different set styles but Lawler's was definitely the highlight for some dark and groovy headfuck......

Si, I don't fully trust myself with carrying my electronic items into a club nowadays, if you know what I mean

Comment

• tiddles
                    Encryption, Jr.
                    • Jun 2004

nice one, looks like lawler did better than he did here earlier in the year -- played a pretty blah-go-nowhere set back in feb

Comment

• funkykarma
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jan 2006

Forgot to mention that Hernan also dropped two of Henry Saiz's new tracks off The Rider EP, one of which (The Rider) was featured untitled on Digweed's show a few weeks back and untitled then:

Thanks to Marcus James for the link from P&R

Comment

Working...