• Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Holosound Loves [ms] and an interview too

Holosound

by Ninunina
    Posted July 1st, 2010 at 12:01 pm
    Share14

Alex Fish got his start in music organically by playing piano then guitar then bass, but never felt as excited launching into a guitar solo or piano riff as he found he did when playing records. Alex has been dj’ing since 1999 but only seriously as Holosound since October 04 when he moved to NYC. His trajectory was decidedly progressive house and electro-driven back when that sound was infinitely more vibrant than it is now but over the last 2 years he’s migrated to a much more deep tech house sound.
    It’s been really fun to see the minimal/techno scene start to incorporate a little more soul and deep house aspects into it. The disco influence is something that is finally being done correctly and sexily as opposed to cheesily which it often was over the past 10-15 years.
    Greatest inspirations or influences?
    I’d say that despite the music I play sounding nothing like them, Pink Floyd had the most influence on me early on. I remember playing Dark Side of the Moon for a couple years straight in my early years of high school. They used effects and methods to craft the album that, while commonplace in electronic music production today, were in their nascent stages back in 1972-73. To a suburban kid growing up in the 90’s who was starting emerge from a hip-hop phase, it was pretty eye opening and refreshing.
    Most memorable set so far?
    Playing at Vertigo in Costa Rica was definitely my most memorable set. I was so happy to be surrounded by so many new friends and playing in a really beautiful club with a Gary Stewart Audio system. The promoter is a great friend of mine and is also my Latin American manager. I had a nice 3 hour set time so I could go through a lot of vibes and he really blew out the promotion so the event was packed.
    How do you describe your “unique” style?
    I play a lot of different stuff but the unifying theme is definitely tech-house with subtle melodic tones and an increasingly prevalent nod to disco and the sounds and influences of the 80’s. I also incorporate obscure samples from Film/TV to create a more immersive live experience.
    3 CDJs and a mixer allow me the freedom to share not only my musical perspective with people, but also to reference the particularly complicated world of media and pop culture we’re surrounded by. The most exciting sets I’ve heard have always managed to accomplish this in one way or another.
    With each year that goes by, I assign more and more of myself to the sound I am trying to cultivate. My musical awareness, perspective and experience are unique, and for better or worse, I find performing more cathartic when I risk giving people a peak at what makes me tick. This translates into sets that don’t really follow a genre but convey what I think people need to hear (while keeping them dancing
    Favorite venues?
    • Vertigo San Jose, Costa Rica
    • Womb Tokyo, Japan
    • Space, Ibiza
    • DC10, Ibiza
    • Redrum, Finland
    • Cielo, NYC

Favorite sites/blogs?
    Since everyone’s aware of the big electronic blogs and sites I’ll list a couple of the more off-the-radar ones…

Up and coming artists we should know about……?
    Most of these people are already “there” but may still be regarded by some as “up and coming” by the edm society at large:
    • Will Saul, The Revenge, Vincenzo,
    • Aeroplane, Clasixx, Miguel Campbell,
    • Tensnake, Lee Foss, Gorge, Jay Shepheard

Favorite track?
    Oh man-I can’t pick just one-and I can guarantee that it will change within a few days because I can’t seem to stick with any ONE track for that long with so much new music being released every day.
    • Friendly Fires – Paris (Aeroplane Remix Feat. Au Revoir Simone)
    • Cortney Tidwell – Palace (Will Saul & Tam Cooper Remix)
    • Oliver & Gil – Too Long In Paradise (Jader Remix) 2

Anything else you’d like to share with our audience?
    Become a fan!
    http://[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Holosound/265178205267?ref=ts"]www.facebook.com/pages/Holosound/265178205267?ref=ts[/URL]
    and of course for my special ninu nina audience, I am including a great summery set by Holosound for you to enjoy

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

• Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: Holosound Loves [ms] and an interview too

nice! Alex is great guy as well as a talented dj, really cool to see things going well for him
    thanks for sharing mate

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• alexfish333
        Gold Gabber
        • Jul 2004

Aside from the live Disco/Tech House set that's linked to in the article above, I've been meaning to link to some recent sets for a while....
        LIVE SETS:
        Holosound warmup for MANDY at Santos Party House NYC 2.6.10

Holosound warmup for Luke Fair boat party and after party set from Sullivan Room NYC 6.18.10

MIXES:
        Happy Holotines (Deep, Sexy Tech House) http://holosoundnyc.com/ZIPPED_MIXES...nes%202010.zip

Autobrennt Podcast 009 (Tech house, Techno) http://www.autobrennt.com/p_holosound.html

Holosonic BBQ 2010 (Yacht Rock, Disco, Indie Dance, Tech House) http://holosoundnyc.com/ZIPPED_MIXES...Q_2010.mp3.zip

Hope you guys enjoy! Feedback is always welcome!
        Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Part of the weekend never dies...

Comment

• dusk
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

^^^ Thanks for the links mate, will need to jump on these.
          ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• dusk
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles

Up and coming artists we should know about……?
            Most of these people are already “there” but may still be regarded by some as “up and coming” by the edm society at large:

• Will Saul, The Revenge, Vincenzo,
            • Aeroplane, Clasixx, Miguel Campbell,
            • Tensnake, Lee Foss, Gorge, Jay Shepheard

Totally agree with this, just getting into The Revenge, Will Saul and Aeroplane myself, top notch stuff so far.
            ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

great thread, really appreciate the links Alex!

Comment

• tiddles
                Encryption, Jr.
                • Jun 2004

love this mix, what's the tune after dana's remix of walking on a dream? sounds like it might be something by the twelves...

Comment

• alexfish333
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
                  love this mix, what's the tune after dana's remix of walking on a dream? sounds like it might be something by the twelves...
                  Off the top of my head I'm thinking it's "Something Good Can Work" -Twelves Remix ;-)
                  Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Comment

• DancingQueen
                    AVB FanClub | President
                    • Oct 2005

Way to go Alex!
                    Thanks for sharing the interview Huggie
                    sigpic
                    RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                    RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• tiddles
                      Encryption, Jr.
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by alexfish333
                      Off the top of my head I'm thinking it's "Something Good Can Work" -Twelves Remix ;-)
                      cheers!
                      btw the phil collins remix is pretty gay

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

fecking tiddles

Comment

• alexfish333
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
                          cheers!
                          btw the phil collins remix is pretty gay
                          You know, in retrospect, I guess I have to agree with you. Some girls like it, but enough guys hate it that I won't be playing it again. This was when I first started messing around with expanding Holosound into this genre and didn't have the arsenal I do now. No more Phil Collins don't worry-

peep the Holosonic BBQ 2010 for an example of less gay shit in this realm ;-)

Comment

• tiddles
                            Encryption, Jr.
                            • Jun 2004

i'll check it out. if you want to make this sound work, then just loop this tune for an hour

Comment

• alexfish333
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jul 2004

BRAND NEW MIX over at http://www.australmixing.com

Space Disco, Tech House, techno

114-123bpm ;-)

Comment

Working...