X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

A Single Man [2009]

It's November 30, 1962. Native Brit George Falconer, an English professor at a Los Angeles area college, is finding it difficult to cope with life. Jim, his personal partner of sixteen years, died in a car accident eight months earlier when he was visiting with family. Jim's family were not going to tell George of the death or accident let alone allow him to attend the funeral. This day, George has decided to get his affairs in order before he will commit suicide that evening. As he routinely and fastidiously prepares for the suicide and post suicide, George reminisces about his life with Jim. But George spends this day with various people, who see a man sadder than usual and who affect his own thoughts about what he is going to do. Those people include Carlos, a Spanish immigrant/aspiring actor/gigolo recently arrived in Los Angeles; Charley, his best friend who he knew from England, she who is a drama queen of a woman who romantically desires her best friend despite his sexual orientation; and Kenny Potter, one of his students, who seems to be curious about his professor beyond English class.
    Did anyone catch this?

Just saw it last night. Admittedly beautifully shot, beautiful costumes and set, kudos to Tom Ford on his debut ...

But ... just ... could ... not ... get ... into ... the ... story ...

I understand it's meant to be very understated, I get that the dude wants to off himself because his partner is dead, but the social interactions that caused him to change his mind just did not work for me.

I understand it's a homosexual premise, but some of the shots just feels more style than substance.

Bleh.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: A Single Man [2009]

Gonna watch this one this week, heard it was quite good...

Comment

• JonQPublik
      Gold Gabber
      • Apr 2006

Re: A Single Man [2009]

Originally posted by feather
      I understand it's a homosexual premise, but some of the shots just feels more style than substance.
      I just watched it last week, and I agree with you... to a point. I looked at it beyond the homosexuality, and just based my watching it on love lost. Granted, it was welcomed feeling that from that point of view. I enjoyed the film, but thought some of the sarcastic tones were a bit too anachronistic for that period. The costumes and cinematography were spot on. I thought some of the "swimming" sequences were unwarranted–I got the focus on the remembrances, the instances of his previous life, but I didn't need to see that every time I anticipated him doing that (Colin Firth did do enough of a great job on his own to infer that). Julianne Moore thoroughly creeped me out, which she's very good at (see "Savage Grace" for reference). Totally acceptable and highly believable.
      http://soundcloud.com/jonqpublik/sets/love-and-other-stories

Comment

Working...