X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Have you read this book?!

The idea of this thread is intended to provide feedback on a book you want to read, and give feedback on a book you have recently read:

Start:

Have you read? "The Power of the Subconscious Mind?" I overheard an old man from NYC in a wheel chair boasting about this book at a GNC recently... he was boasting about all of his successes in business and attributed much of it to this book, which kind of sparked my interest.

I Just Read: "Stella Adler - The Art of Acting" - it was excellent! Anyone interested in acting or currently doing so, this book is among my favorite!

It was fun while it lasted...
  • nick007
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2007

Re: Have you read this book?!

read the piece of shit "you been warned" by james Patterson - should have heeded the title
    Busy reading "Spud - the madness continues" by John van de Ruit - local SA writer - very funny

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• trick12
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jul 2007

just read the "alchemist" for the first time, what a gem

currently reading "the great shark hunt" funny book....
      Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

currently reading, Anthony Bourdain's Nasty Bits

just finished Viktor Frankl - Man's Search For Meaning <highly recommended.

Comment

• tiddles
          Encryption, Jr.
          • Jun 2004

finished Thomas Pynchon's Vineland.

that guy is a trip.

also read the 4-hour workweek again. I think iIve read it 4 or 5 times since january. it's good lifestyle design info if anyone's into that...

anyone read the new book by the 37 systems people? Rework or something like that? I bought a copy but kinda forgot about it

Comment

• GregWhelan
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Just read Cormac McCarthy-The Road. Not one of these people who are saying its amazing but it was ok, nothing more.

Wanna read Robert Ludlum 'The Bourne Ultimatum/Supremacy' next as well as Ian Fleming 'For Your Eyes Only. Working my way through Bond and Ludlum, quality writing

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

I'm currently re-reading William Gibson's Pattern Recognition.

Does anyone read science fiction/fantasy? There's a lot of stuff I want to read but no access to the books in Shanghai. Seriously thinking about an ereader.

I recently came across Leadership and the New Science by Margaret J Wheatley, sounds interesting. Anyone read it? It's an old book. Also Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational, that's been on the radar for a while but just never got around to it.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• stencil_cp
                Addiction started
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Jenks

i just started this book. initially i wasn't into the idea of the concentration camp experience book, but this is less horror emphasis and more insight into the way our minds work in terrible situations... amazing insight... much easier read than i'd expected and +1 recommended...

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

I've read Bourdain's (now classic) Kitchen Confidential, A Cooks Tour and 'Bone In The Throat' + have his Les Halles Cookbook which is great for french food.

Defo need to check out his more recent work.
                  sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• xellsys
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jan 2010

i have just read "let the right one in" by Lindqvist, really great book. and the movie is one of the greatest adaptations i know.

now i started readig "crime and punishment" by Dostoevsky. like it quite a lot

Comment

• Dzone
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jul 2004

Reading now "The Ghost War"
                      ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• Shpira
                        Angry Boy Child
                        • Oct 2006

such a coincidence I finished reading that about a week ago or so...i always read two books at a time...a serious one and a funny one...that was a serious one as you might have guessed....now I'm reading fear and loathing on the campaign trail by HST and An Introduction to Global Financial Markets by Stephen Valdez
                        The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                        Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• res0nat0r
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • May 2006

how is this? i want to pick it up. i'm going to see him speak here in town with Eric Ripert next month, should be a good time.

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                            how is this? i want to pick it up. i'm going to see him speak here in town with Eric Ripert next month, should be a good time.
                            I love it. I'm a foodie and an avid at home chef and love the way the guy writes, it's a win for me. He's going to be speaking here in St. Louis next month, but having read most of his books, watched all of No Reservations, plus watched the first season on travel channel (which was basically A Cook's Tour on film)...the wife and i decided not to spend $100 to go hear him speak when i don't really think he'll say anything i haven't already heard.

If you like food books, pick up Heat - by Bill Burford, which is about Mario Batali. Great read.

Comment

• threehills
                              I heart Lollergirl
                              • Jun 2005

Just read Frank Hebert's Dune. I'm not really into science fiction, but this was an excellent book that I couldn't put down.

Anyone read the rest of the series?

Just picked up The Road as mentioned above.
                              It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

Working...