X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon Preston
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Windows and multiple routers

Ok, here's the scenario. I have a Netgear ADSL router in my living room that is connected to the internet and also acts as a DHCP server (for all PC's, PS3, Ipod Touch, printer etc etc). However, when my laptop and PC are in my room I am often transferring files between them which is an absolute ballache with wireless so I found another Netgear router (Cable modem) I had from a previous house and used that to hook up the PC and laptop together via ethernet. It too has DHCP switched on and uses a different IP address range to the internet router. Works great in that file copying over the wires is much faster however, despite the wireless connections still being on and connected to the wireless network, it would seem that Windows is trying to use the wired connection to connect to the internet as no internet works on either machine. Switch the second router off and the internet is back. It's not a massive problem but does mean I can't do any internet stuff while I'm moving files.

Both machines are running Windows 7 Pro. Both machines say they are connected to both networks at the same time but neither can get to the internet. Is it just a case of Windows defaulting to the faster network? If so how do I get it to use the wireless for internet access?

PS. Have looked into using the 2nd router as a wireless repeater but I don't think its possible.
    http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011
  • demonAfro
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Windows and multiple routers

Umm, don't know if it helps at all, but have you tried connecting the two computers directly without the second router? Certainly with gigabit they should do internal crossover too so it should work with just a cat-5 cable and may give you a teeny speed boost?

Comment

• Simon Preston
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

Re: Windows and multiple routers

I didn't realise gigabit ethernet didn't require a crossover cable! Shall give that a whirl.
      We've decided to get a more powerful antenna for the router with internet and move that into my room with the PC's. We couldn't put the router in my room before as the signal in other rooms was terrible. So hoping this sorts it.

Edit. Forget that. Looks like my laptop has a 100Mb ethernet port. Not 1Gb as I thought.
      http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

Working...