X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Give me good comics to read!

I think I asked something like this a long time ago, but anyone have any good current running comics that I should check out? I really don't want any superhero crap, I think I'd more into Vertigo and other more adult / serious / off the wall things.

Stuff I think looks good:

100 Bullets
    Y - The Last Man
    Chew
    Fables

Anyone else think of anything good? I'm thinking of heading down to my local shop and looking for whatever this weekend. There is just so much out there and half of it is on issue #48,000 I dont know where to start, or know where to get all the crossovers etc to know wtf is going on.

Anything I should get?

Also the Comicvine site linked to above seems really cool, tons of content added all the time and video reviews and a huge wiki. Also the Babs editor girl is really cute (party, bonus).
  • dusk
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Give me good comics to read!

How about graphic novels? You into that?

If so Locke & Key is fantastic.

~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

yes...those are good too for sure.

i own:

blankets
      black hole
      bone - the complete series (phonebook)
      most of the cerebus trade paperbacks
      preacher tpb #1
      the arrival
      violet cases
      jimmy corrigan
      watchmen
      batman - the dark knight returns - frank miller

not that ive read all of that yet...bone and cerebus are going to take me forever to read.

the cover of the book above looks cool, i will check it out more...

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Hey wasn't there a comic book thread ... last year or something I remember recommending a few.

100 Bullets
        Y - The Last Man
        Chew
        Fables
        Locke & Key
        Preacher
        Sandman
        Lucifer
        Joker

Yes to all of them.

Anything by Neil Gaiman and Dave Mckean really, including Violent Cases, Signal To Noise.
        Dave Mckean also did his own series called Cages though I never finished it.

Grant Morrison's Arkarm Asylum is pits Batman against the madhouse but it's not your usual superhero vs villains action. The story is an exploration into madness, not just in its patients, but in the asymlum's history, and Batman's own madness:

Dave Mckean provides the art, together this graphic novel set the tone for the Dark Knight. I read this about 20 years ago and it's still the definitive comic to me.

Check out other Grant Morrison stuff like The Invisibles and All-Star Superman.

The current storyline for Superman starting with issue 701 is going to be an important arc for the character: He does a Forrest Gump and walks the earth, visiting the small towns and people to reconnect himself with his adopted home again.

Ex Machina (who also wrote Y) is right up your alley. It's a superhero who can talk to machines, deciding he can do more good as the mayor of New York, and later forced to don his tights again. The series just ended at 50:

AIR is an interesting exploration of symbols and semantics in the form of an air stewardess with a phobia for flying, and an Aztec flying engine that doesn't require fuel, mixed with some international espionage. Very unfortunately just ended at 24.

So these are easy for you to catch up on.

The Walking Dead
        is a must, an exploration of human psychology/group behaviour when the rules no longer apply:

The Unwritten is by Mike Carey (became a fan after reading his Lucifer), a story about the power of words, literature as a map, and a protagonist whose really a Harry Potter character in a story, made flesh.

Will add more when I remember.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Michael J
          Getting Somewhere
          • Mar 2006

I agree with Feather- let me add my own emphasis, you must read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, front to back. They have nice bound editions out there, gave mine to my fam down the street after years of loving it. Gaiman is an AUTHOR, so you really really, shit idk how to describe it it's in a class of it's own.
          Off the Charts Records (Intl)
          House Party (Brooklyn)

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Yeah I'd go as far as to say Gaiman is a storyteller, he has the gift.

I highly recommend his novels like American Gods, Neverwhere, and Stardust.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Michael J
              Getting Somewhere
              • Mar 2006

Feather read Coraline- its very entertaining. Not so deep but very very surreal.
              House Party (Brooklyn)

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Already did, I pretty much read everything he puts out. The only book I'm ambivalent about is Anansi Boys.

Comment

• Michael J
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Mar 2006

That's what's up. Aside from Gaiman my boy's really on about The Preacher, I've only sampled but liked what I read.
                  House Party (Brooklyn)

Comment

• trick12
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jul 2007

trigun
                    Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Shpira
                      Angry Boy Child
                      • Oct 2006

The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Funky Dredd
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by dusk
                        How about graphic novels? You into that?

If so Locke & Key is fantastic.

I love Locke & Key! I have all of mine signed by Joe! You do know you can send them to him and he will sign them as long as you supply a method for him to ship them back to you. Well worth the effort if you ask me, plus he is uper nice to boot!

One not mentioned is Stephen King's Gunslinger series. I don't know if your into that though? I stopped grabbing them do to money but I have second copies that are bagged and boarded that I'd like to get rid of. They start from issue 1 and go on for a couple of series. I stopped grabbing them because I was spending so much on them that I needed to cut back and seeing as I liked the Locke & Key series I gave all of them up except for that one.
                        Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• Homegrove
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Best newspaper-type comic since Calvin and Hobbes:

Forward thinking house music

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

I still read Calvin and Hobbes everyday.

Comment

• Homegrove
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

*heart*
                              Forward thinking house music

Comment

Working...