X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mixu
    Travel Guru Extraordinaire
    • Jun 2004

No sh*t Sherlock...

Well, who'd have guessed there was no link between Iraq and 9/11? Apart from Bush and Cheney that is...

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Ask me a question...
  • Galapidate
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Woooohooo, now Bush's approval rating will go down even further

Comment

• delirious
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Galapidate
      Well..to be fair, Bush actually admited exactly the same thing at a press conference in January this year.

Comment

• tiddles
        Encryption, Jr.
        • Jun 2004

yeah...well....i think we did the right thing for the wrong reasons
        but i'm pretty pissed off at this administration and it's going to show on my ballot in november

Comment

• delirious
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
          yeah...well....i think we did the right thing for the wrong reasons
          And in the wrong way. They should've commited more ground troops and properly secured the country instead of trying to minimise U.S casualties and doing a half-job.

If you want to liberate people, you can't stand back while their heritage is being looted. For Bush, Cheney et al, liberation was always the 2nd goal. Not their main goal.

Comment

• devon
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

don;t forget about Wolfiwitz. he's been chomping at going to war with Irag as soon as Bush entered office.
            i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• delirious
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by devon
              don;t forget about Wolfiwitz. he's been chomping at going to war with Irag as soon as Bush entered office.
              Not just him. Bush's whole team discussed the invasion of Iraq in their very first security meeting according to Paul O Neil, the former Treasury Secretary. This despite Clinton warning them that Bin Laden should be more of a priority.

Comment

• MJDub
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

And we can't forget that there still hasn't been justice for 9/11, which I thought was the reason we're supposed to be at war.
                http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• delirious
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJDub
                  And we can't forget that there still hasn't been justice for 9/11, which I thought was the reason we're supposed to be at war.
                  Yeah. Most of the hijackers were Saudi Arabian and Saudi Arabia even financed some of them (according to the US congressional report). Bush and Co and Saudi Arabia are close buddies so don't expect any "justice" soon.

Comment

• Galapidate
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by delirious
                    Originally posted by Galapidate
                    Well..to be fair, Bush actually admited exactly the same thing at a press conference in January this year.
                    But it wasn't emphasized, it was more of a side comment from him that most people don't remember. However, the 9/11 commission claiming this will be big because of all the attention focused on those hearings.

Comment

• FM
                      Wooooooo!
                      • Jun 2004

and in another case of tongue-twisting...

does everyone in this Administration just say stuff and never think about it?

Bush disputes al Qaida-Saddam conclusion

By DEB RIECHMANN
                      The Associated Press
                      6/17/2004, 4:49 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush on Thursday disputed the Sept. 11 commission's finding that there was no "collaborative relationship" between Saddam Hussein and the al-Qaida terrorist network responsible for the attacks.

"There was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaida," Bush insisted following a meeting with his Cabinet at the White House.

"This administration never said that the 9-11 attacks were orchestrated between Saddam and al-Qaida," he said.

"We did say there were numerous contacts between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida, for example, Iraqi intelligence agents met with (Osama) bin Laden, the head of al-Qaida in the Sudan."

The independent commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks said Wednesday that no evidence exists that al-Qaida had strong ties to Saddam Hussein ? a central justification the Bush administration had for toppling the former Iraqi regime. Bush also argued that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, which have not been found, and that he ruled his country by with an iron fist and tortured political opponents.

Senior members of the commission seemed eager to minimize any disagreement.

"What we have found is, were there contacts between al-Qaida and Iraq, yes. Some of them were shadowy but they were there," said Tom Kean, the Republican former governor of New Jersey who is chairman.

Like Bush, he said there was no evidence that Iraq aided in the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Former Rep. Lee Hamilton, the Democratic vice chairman of the panel, said media reports of a conflict between the administration and the commission were "not that apparent to me."

Although bin Laden asked for help from Iraq in the mid-1990s, Saddam's government never responded, according to a report by the commission staff based on interviews with government intelligence and law enforcement officials. "There have been reports that contacts between Iraq and al-Qaida also occurred after bin Laden had returned to Afghanistan, but they do not appear to have resulted in a collaborative relationship," the report said. "Two senior Bin Laden associates have adamantly denied that any ties existed between al-Qaida and Iraq."

Bush said Saddam was a threat because he had not only ties to al-Qaida, but to other terrorist networks as well.

"He was a threat because he provided safe haven for a terrorist like al-Zarqawi who is still killing innocents inside Iraq," he said, referring to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who is considered the most dangerous foreign fighter in Iraq and one of the world's top terrorists.

Attention on al-Zarqawi has increased in recent months as he became a more vocal terror figure, due in part to three recordings released on the Internet, including the video showing the beheading of American businessman Nicholas Berg. The State Department and other agencies that handle counterterrorism are considering raising the reward for al-Zarqawi from $10 million to $25 million, putting him on par with two al-Qaida leaders and Saddam, now jailed.

"The world is better off and America is more secure without Saddam Hussein in power," Bush told reporters in the Cabinet Room where he met with his advisers to discuss Iraq and the economy.

It was Bush's 25th meeting with the Cabinet since the start of his presidency in January 2001.

Bush said he told Cabinet members that he continues to have a "firm resolve" in Iraq, the scene of escalating violence less than two weeks before the handoff of political power to the interim Iraqi government.

On Thursday, a sport utility vehicle packed with artillery shells blew up in a crowd of people waiting to volunteer for the Iraqi military, killing dozens and wounding over a hundred. Another car bomb north of the capital killed several members of the Iraqi security forces.

"We fully understand terrorists who try to shake our will, who try to shake our confidence to try to get us to withdraw from commitments we have made in places like Afghanistan and Iraq," Bush said. "They won't succeed. Iraq will be free. And a free Iraq is in our nation's interest."

Asked whether he was disappointed that Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld had improperly held an Iraqi prisoner in secret for more than seven months in violation of the Geneva Conventions, Bush replied: "The secretary and I discussed that for the first time this morning. ... I'm never disappointed in my secretary of defense. He's doing a fabulous job and America's lucky to have him in the position he's in."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
                      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                      Facebook!
                      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• acmatos
                        Getting warmed up
                        • Jun 2004

hey, all the Bush haters in one thread. You all must feel nice and cozy!

Actually, if you bother to read the report, you'd realize that the commision concluded that there were ties between Al-qaeda and Saddam.

Also, the Bush administration never said that Iraq was specifically involved in 9/11, they merely stressed the terrorists' connections to Iraq.
                        Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Comment

• FM
                          Wooooooo!
                          • Jun 2004

which gave the "excuse" to go invade them!

tie it all you want, but there is no evidence found that Iraq had a hand in, or was responsible for 9/11....which is the "excuse" that was given to go invade them.
                          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                          Facebook!
                          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Balanc3
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Bill and Hillary Clinton approved invading Iraq!!! Props to Jenks or someone for this...

QUOTES to remember;

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
                            - President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
                            - President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
                            - Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
                            - Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
                            - Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
                            - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has .. chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
                            - Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
                            - Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, December 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
                            - Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
                            - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
                            - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
                            - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
                            - Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
                            - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
                            - Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
                            Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." -
                            Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
                            - Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
                            - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003
                            JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• turban
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
                              which gave the "excuse" to go invade them!

tie it all you want, but there is no evidence found that Iraq had a hand in, or was responsible for 9/11....which is the "excuse" that was given to go invade them.
                              Nah, the "excuse" for invading them was because Iraq 'had' WMD, which it turns out they didn't.

Comment

Working...