X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

Island hopping in Greece part1

I just wanted to share some of my funniest Island experiences with you guys.; Me and 5 of my friends rented this:

We flew to Mykonos then took a ferry to Paros where we picked up the boat and started our 2 week sailing adventure. We spent the night anchored on a beach in Paros drinking and smoking. First thing we did in the morning was sail back from Paros to Mykonos to pick up another friend who had landed the day after us. We came to back to mykonos early afternoon and went to get some food...we anchored under Cavo Paradiso on Paradise Beach

While we were eating and admiring the sights. I noticed that I could no longer see the mast of our boat rocking above the parasols. I jumped up quick and ran to the beach only to have my fears reaffirmed. Our boat was GONE. I quickly ran to get one of my friends and we got onto our dinghy and took it out towards the end of the little bay....where a boat that looked like ours with 5 guys on it was rocking.
    We finally got near enough to appreciate that it was not our boat even though it was the exact same model...we got close and asked the guys on it if they had seen a boat just like theirs. . .the answer of course was negative. I looked around on the open sea as I contemplated the fact that our boat was nowhere to be seen. Our spirits were crushed as we were sailing back to shore with about 5 euros between us, no passports, no phone, no cards...nothing but 14 days of holidays left.
    As we got to the beach I quickly ran to the life guard who saw the distressed look on my face and immediately asked what had happened...as soon as I opened my mouth and said our boat was gone he said "its ok, its ok...your boat is at the marina. It had floated away and a fisherman picked it up and took it to port."

A couple of my friends took a cab to the main port on the island in order to pick up the boat. I spend 4 hours waiting for them. What happened stunned us all...and convinced thjose who had any doubts of the unavoidable backwards mentality of the people living and working on Greek islands (especially Mykonos).

They came to the port met the guy and started saying their thanks and praises. He quickly interrupted them and told them that he wants "HALF". Half of everything on the boat and half of the boat value. Apparently, according to the sailing and maritime law...a person who "salvages" anything on the open sea is entitled to half of anything salvaged. My frined explained that the boat is rented from a Greek and the guy proceeded to ask for money. At first 2000 euros; this was met with a dose of slight hostility mixed with disbelief. My friends told him that they could afford to pay 1000 eur and the guy agreed. "Luckily" the police came and started convincing the fisherman to up his request back to 2 k so that they can get 1 k as well!?! To which he thankfully said no...They asked where we were all from and when they realised that we were Serbian got slightly upset as they assumed that we were broke as hell. They asked my friend if he now hated Greeks to which he replied "no I am half Greek myself" a blatant lie i might add. The guy started at the open see for a bit and said "ia m not going to take your money Mihailis its bad karma". "just give something to the port authority for their time" so we ended up giving 300 euros to some lady who worked there.

The official report stated that the guy had found the boat 1.5 miles out from the shore and that he had dragged it to port. It also stated that there was 30 meters of chain in the sea along with the anchor. Sooo...to recapitulate in 45 minutes our boat managed to float 1,5 miles away with 30 meters of chain and anchor in 9 meters of depth and managed to get picket up and dragged to port. all in 45 minutes...the comment of the police was "this is impossible but we trust him. he finds AROUND 10 TO 12 BOATS A YEAR LIKE THIS"

that was the first event...there were lots of mental things but i'm at work now
    Last edited by Shpira; September 10, 2010, 05:52:45 AM. Reason: tittle change
    The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX
  • bobjuice
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: Island hopping in Greece part1

Comment

• poults
      Platinum Poster
      • Nov 2006

HAHAHAHA, bloody people. Glad you didnt have to splash out tonnes of coinage to them though and got all your stuff safely.
      Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• tiddles
        Encryption, Jr.
        • Jun 2004

cool story bro.

good call on the "i'm half greek" hahahaha

Comment

• chanty
          John, John, where art thou!
          • Jun 2004

Incredible the scams people will pull! And the greasy palms abound. Happy you got it sorted and got your stuff back! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure!
          Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• MJ
            Here since 2002
            • Jun 2004

That's a great story to tell your kids

How much did it cost to rent that boat and how long did you rent it for?
            mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• Shpira
              Angry Boy Child
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MJ
              That's a great story to tell your kids

How much did it cost to rent that boat and how long did you rent it for?
              It was 5k GBP for two weeks...between 6 people.
              The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
              Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• ace_dl
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

What a bunch of assholes ... (Police, Local Authorities etc)
                I hope u do not consider all of us Greeks thieves and crooks now, after everything you have been through.
                Hope all is cool and sorted now mate. As soon as I settle down you are invited to my place ... anytime!
                Speakman Sound - Hold the Line

Comment

• kassios
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

what happens in Mykonos stays in Mykonos

Good that you guys got your boat back !
                  http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

damn that is crazy!

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

But did you catch any good music??
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Shpira
                        Angry Boy Child
                        • Oct 2006

Island Hopping in Greece part 2

After our initial impressions on Mykonos we collectively decided that it would be best to leave the Island as soon as possible and try to avoid loosing or destroying anything critical in the process. We agreed that the next place worth visiting would be Ios which is around 40 miles south of Mykonos and 20-30 miles north of Santorini. Anyway...Ios is well known as a party island, it doesn't have an airport and it doesn't have any tourist attractions. This means that there are no English tourists and all those who come there are around 19-25 years old. I have to say despite all the events that transpired...Ios is a perfect holiday destination for anyone young at heart.

Anyway, our first night on Ios we decided to go out and scout the island. Our day was spend at a beach bar called "far out" where I danced to cheese house music and drank a couple of beers. It was good fun and I hadn't danced for a long time so I was really getting into it...

We ordered a couple of bottles of bubbly and continued screwing around on the beach and the bar.

Around 8 in the evening we left the beach and headed for the marina. Had a shower and got changed on the boat and went to get some nice dinner in a fish restaurant where i got chatted up by a gay waiter from some town in Serbia (god knows how ended there) annnyyywayyy...around 12 we made our way up to the Ios old town which has more than 200 bars in a single square kilometre. All packed with young bodies:

We all got split up so me and my flatmate ended up going to some Norwegian bar on our own. . .I had a vodka red bull and some Aussie girls started talking to us. we finished our drink and went to the bar next door...ordered another drink and thats the last memory i have of that night. I regained my senses around 7.30 in the morning in some old ladys garden...local old lady and I mean OLD. She was beating me over the head with a broom shouting "Go away, go away" It all seemed like a dream to me. . .some more ppl ran up and started shouting "go away!" it felt as though I was in a film or a video game...i remember thinking how odd everything is. I was in the middle of nowhere in the mountains in some grandmas garden climbing over fences and cliffs in my full raving outfit at 7.30 in the morning...I could have broken my neck...anyway as they were telling me to piss off the police arrived and took me to the police station. They gave me a bottle of water and started chatting to me. They asked me what I took and I said nothing. The guy asked if i knew what time it was and I said 9 in the evening to which he replied: "No its nine in the morning, I will ask again what did you take last night?" ... i said "look if I had taken something i would have taken all of it...in which case I would have no problem telling you...also I spend the last couple of days looking for stuff but there is NOTHING on this god damn island so I didn't take anything"
                        He laughed and said that he appreciates my honesty but that I should not repeat that when his boss comes back into the room.

He said that he thinks I was drugged by someone who wanted something and told me that I was very suggestive when they found me but not drunk. He said i was very lucky...i said let me go and check...so I went top the bathroom took my underwear off checked the front and the back...made sure i didn't screw anyone and that no one screwed me lol...my kidneys were in place...the only off thing i could find was a weird bruise on my leg...a perfect triangle that felt like a burn but my hairs were intact? very strange...anyway i didn't have any money in my pockets so not really sure what happened. I got split up from my friend around 4 in the morning until which time i had been drinking water as he claims I was behaving very strangely and he assumed i was drunk.

I have tried almost everything so far...but I have no idea what that was...anyway...that was another day on my vacation. The police was very nice and told me that this happens once in a while and that it is usually girls and that i was very lucky. They drove me back to my boat and shook my hand said their good byes as I passed out on the boat deck.
                        The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TheVrk
                          it IS incredible isn't it??
                          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• bobjuice
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

Top Night!!

Looking forward to part 3 already hahaha

Comment

• floridaorange
                              I'm merely a humble butler
                              • Dec 2005

Sounds like quite an adventure you and your buddies are on! Maybe up the safety precaution level a notch or two, especially when hanging out in places where the economy has plummeted as of late. Best wishes on your vacay, keep those reports coming, I lol'd.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...