• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homegrove
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Review: John Digweed @ UU Clinic, Helsinki, Finland September 25th 2010

It was a great night. That's it.

Well... Ok, a little more. But you don't have to read the rest, it's a bit livejournal.

Got to Helsinki around six and went to have a heavy meal (a big fucking BLT-sandwhich) before a preparty my friend hosted at his apartment. Figured I'd need the energy. The preparty basically consisted of about 15 friends hanging out together, listening to Digweed's latest essential mix, consuming alcohol and talking about subjects which varied from getting Skype on an old Nokia phone (not mine) to female downstairs grooming. The latter was started by a girl btw.

We went to the venue DTM early, about 30 minutes after it had opened at 10.00 PM. The warm up set was provided by Clinic-resident Paul Easy who is one deranged person, but in a good way. He did a very good job, people we're dancing very early on for Helsinki even though he knew the limits of doing a warm up. The place is the same that hosts Danceteria every first Friday of the month and is the biggest gay club in Finland. Although it advertises itself as a hetero friendly gay club, whatever that means.

Digweed came on at midnight, not a minute late from his announced start time and started with Grace Kelly from Bedrock 12. He build it amazingly, first with some housier stuff, with a lot of melodies. Early highlight was the new Maetrik-tune on Cocoon, Snorkel which made me swear as I really wanted to play it at the afterparty but didn't want to repeat anything John had played earlier.

He played a lot of different stuff, really managed to spread the sound in three and half hours. The most muscular thing must've been Funk D'Void's Italoca.

He ended with the Soulwax-remix of the new Chemical Brothers-track again.

After the set he must've signed 100 things and posed for hundred pictures. Best part was when my friend Aki (Aki A of the mixes-section here fame)asked if he could have his picture taken with him and he replied "Not with that haircut." He did anyway, and here's the pic:

Here's what I spotted, I'll post more if people on the Finnish-board spotted others:

Sistema - Grace Kelly
    Ian O'Donovan - Pacific Abyss
    Maetrik - Snorkel
    Mr Flavour & Manuyell - Clitter Play.fm France (Jerome Sydenham rmx)
    Booka Shade - Teenage Spaceman (Sei A Bass Remix)
    John Digweed & Nick Muir - Meteor (Maetrik Heavy Mix)
    Funk D'Void - Italoca
    LCD Soundsystem - You Wanted a Hit (Soulwax Remix)
    Chemical Brothers - Soulwax-remix of the tune I can't now remember or bother to find out.

Here's a video my friend took, it's the whole set in 10 minutes:

I'll post more pictures when more appear. There was about 10 photographers there.

After the main place closed we went to the afterparty club which was some 50 metres up the street where I played for the first 2 hours. I had lots of fun, when I ended my set there were some 200 people crammed in the small basement-club. Digweed also came to check it out before going to his hotel.

I recorded my set and you can find it in my Soundcloud (www.soundcloud.com/homegrove) in two hours or so.
    Forward thinking house music
  • Homegrove
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Review: John Digweed @ UU Clinic, Helsinki, Finland September 25th 2010

Comment

• Hoff
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Homegrove
      and started with Grace Kelly from Bedrock 12.
      .. . . . . .

Originally posted by Homegrove
      where I played for the first 2 hours. I had lots of fun, when I ended my set there were some 200 people crammed in the small basement-club. Digweed also came to check it out before going to his hotel.

+ ++++++ + + + + + +

in that

is possible to enter with
      this ?

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Nice one HG
        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Homegrove
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

I've been informed that the last track is not the new Chemical Brothers-single after all.

Comment

Working...