• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • energizerbunny
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Funk D'Void @ Audio Tonic 360 Dubai 1-10-10

IMG_0639.JPG
    As I walked into my favorite circle in the sea at about 7pm it was already pretty full, I’m sure that was partly due to the fact that people were excited for the return of Lars Sandberg aka Francois Dubois, or his more popular alter ego Funk D’void. Last time this tall Scott graced the decks he played for a full six hours even though he was only booked to play the regular three, because he was just having that much fun! We knew we wanted another extended set so when he briefly left the decks to take a sip of his beer (you know that silly rule where you can’t actually drink inside the booth but if you take one step outside of it you can, cause that makes so much sense!) we gathered around and told him we wanted him to play until close, he was more than happy to oblige us.

Francois Dubois began playing his signature deep house sounds at 8pm then around 11pm Francois Dubois left the building and made room for Funk D’Void! Something I always expect from a veteran DJ/producer like Funk D’Void is to be surprised. This was a night full of surprises. First he surprised us all with techier more driving house sounds like Laurent Garnier –Flashback (Christian Smith & Wehbba remix) and my favorite of the night Bruce Springsteen- State Trooper (Trentmoller Remix), yes my favorite track of the night was originally from the American rock icon ‘The Boss’! With tracks like these taking control it turned into tile stomping to the max!

Not only did the music surprise me but so did the whole vibe of the night. A true connection was made between the music, the crowd and the DJ. The ultimate experience that we always try to find, but only happens on rare occasions like this. It’s not something you can predict; so many factors have to be aligned, like the stars in the sky, most in random patterns but some come together to create something special. That’s what happened on this night. Imagine the emotion Lars was feeling, as we were showing him so much love, and the beautiful music surrounded us, that utter tears of joy started streaming down his face, overcome by the magic of what was happening. True emotion like this is rare to see, let alone from a DJ. I felt like he was revealing his true self to us at that moment which made me gain a whole new respect for him. Something I always love to see a DJ do which really shows they want to connect with the people is to get amongst the crowd and dance to the last track, Lars did just that coming down to show us love with hugs all around. As he said on his twitter post "360º Dubai =one of the best nights in my 20yr DJ career...no words...Love, sweat & tears (from me), we became one, transcended through music".
    Audio Tonic history was made that night !!
    IMG_0645.JPG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by energizerbunny; October 13, 2010, 04:50:43 AM.

www.myspace.com/lisasant
    www.myspace.com/discotecamusic
    www.djmag.ae
    www.bringthebeats.com
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: Funk D'Void @ Audio Tonic 360 Dubai 1-10-10

amazing review Lisa!

that backdrop always looks amazing

Comment

• energizerbunny
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

thanks Steve! you are welcome anytime

www.myspace.com/lisasant
      www.djmag.ae
      www.bringthebeats.com

Comment

• chanty
        John, John, where art thou!
        • Jun 2004

Sounds like an incredible night! A rare connection and an appreciated one for sure. Nice review...thanks!
        Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

a club being almost full at 7pm is amazing, we can't get people out around here before midnight, even when the clubs used to close at 2am lol

Comment

• energizerbunny
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

hahah I know its getting harder to get people out at 7pm, thing is 360 is the best place to watch the sunset, so we usually have a crowd that doesnt leave, or leaves later and then a late crew come. It used to be always packed at 7pm, Luke had rocked it a couple times with a full dance floor at that time. The guest used to always play 7-10pm cause they are live on Radio 1, but since people are coming out so much later now the sets are getting pushed to later. We are lucky that Lars likes to play long sets, he went right til 2am

www.myspace.com/lisasant
            www.djmag.ae
            www.bringthebeats.com

Comment

• andymara
              Fresh Peossy
              • Aug 2008

Lisa you're an incredible story teller. so very eloquent. I read it twice because I wanted to hear more!!

When Steve & I are making enough money and throwing the parties we dream about we'll fly you out to them so you can write them each a review!!

Comment

• energizerbunny
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by andymara
                Lisa you're an incredible story teller. so very eloquent. I read it twice because I wanted to hear more!!

When Steve & I are making enough money and throwing the parties we dream about we'll fly you out to them so you can write them each a review!!
                wow thanks a lot Just like DJs and producers like to hear feedback on their sets and tracks I love to hear feedback on my writing. It really is an art Im continually trying to improve on so that means a lot to get comments like this. Its a dream to be able to write for a living, touring the globe to give people the story about the party they missed, but until then and forever because its fun

www.myspace.com/lisasant
                www.djmag.ae
                www.bringthebeats.com

Comment

Working...