• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Transitions (Episode 320) October 17th 2010 w/ Nick Warren

Transition 320

Now that the Bedrock 12 celebrations have died down it's time to showcase other labels & some of the inspirational tracks that Diggers has been using to invoke mayhem on the dancefloors across the globe.

01. Bas Amro - Le Huitième Arrondissement [Wolfskuil Records Ltd | WLTD012]

We start with Dutch imprint Wolfskuil Records, founded in 2003 by Darko Esser, and a label in form with their re-release package of Dual Shaman's Ocean Breeze (Transitions 312) riding high on Beatport. Wolfskuil’s latest discovery is Bas Amro, a 19 year old wunderkind from Enschede in the Netherlands. Don’t be fooled by his age. Much like Bedrock’s 15-year old discovery Richie G, there is a new breed of younger producer out there with a well developed musical maturity that belies their years.

Bas has been DJ-ing and making music since the age of 14 and has an extremely talented ear. He just gets it. The right sounds, layering, arranging: it all seems to come naturally. Title track ‘Le Huitième Arrondissement’ is a classic example of his talent. A meeting of Jimpster and Pepe Bradock.. Beautiful, emotion ridden strings. Organs that lushfully combine with a disco-esque bassline and solid house groove.

The whole EP has had some great DJ feedback :

Craig - (Silicone Soul) - "The original is lovely - bring the MF Deepness!"....
    Laurent Garnier - "Le Huitieme Arrondissement..lovely deepness."....
    John Selway - "Le Huitieme Arrondissement is really nice! Also I just listened through the full Pitto remix, wow it's really cool! unique and a bit challenging, I really like it."....
    Sebo K - "I love the original versions! Excellent release!"....
    Satoshi Tomiie - "A meeting of Jimpster and Pepe Bradock...is right, a great piece of music."....
    Danny Howells - "Love it, thanks!!!"....
    Thomas Schumacher - "19? Get the fuck outta here...."....
    Terry Francis - (Fabric London) - "Like Le Huitieme Arrondissement."....
    Julien Chaptal - "Impressive production! Love the vibe of the original, can't wait to hear more from Bas."
    Martinez - "Great deep house tunes. Le Huitieme Arrondissement (original) and Sunday Rut really reminds me of Callisto's deep jungle inspired house music on Guidance Recording back in the late
    Guy J - "Le Huitième Arrondissement for me, great one."....
    Hernan Cattaneo - "Quality deepness original for me."....
    Radio Slave - "WOW! WHAT AN AMAZING TRACK...I LOVE Le Huitieme Arrondissement! An instant classic that I hope gets the props it deserves...11/10"....
    John Digweed - "Le Huitieme Arrondissement is good for me."....
    Nick Warren - "Wow, brilliant stuff and what a remix! Heavy."....
    Jimpster - "Yeah! Definitely my kinda ting this one. The original mix is definitely something i can play out. Looking forward to giving it a good hammering. Good work Bas!"....

02. Future Beat Alliance - Endless Blue (Mourning EP) [Tresor Records | tre238]

Up next are the expansive sounds of Matthew Puffet aka. Future Beat Alliance for Tresor (German for ‘vault’) - an underground techno nightclub and record label. For many years Tresor has held a tradition with its artists, allowing them the opportunity to test-drive every release at their legendary Berlin club. And so FBA’s second EP for Tresor was recorded with the club as a focal point, utilising tracks that rocked the Tresor bunker back in September:

‘I played live, alongside Mark Broom at Tresor, testing out all 3 tracks at their early stages to a 500 strong crowd. The response was amazing, so a few days later I developed the tracks in the studio, realizing what needed to be done for full impact!’ [Future Beat Alliance]

While FBA has deep roots in Detroit ethereal techno, ‘Endless Blue’ also takes us back to the warmer rhythms & bigger and more intricate productions of the early 2000s with a robust yet emotive trip to oceanic depths with countless beautiful synth layers complemented by tasteful effects, strings and melodies. You can certainly see ‘Endless Blue’ being huge for Diggers at fabric on December 18th, where he can make full use of the sound system aesthetics.

Rating: 9.0/10 [Beats & Beyond] ‘Everything a techno freak could possibly wish for ... The brilliance of this EP is hard to put into words, so I suggest you simply get your hands on it as soon as it hits the streets. If you're a sucker for epic Tresor techno, you can't afford to skip this one. An EP worth its weight in pure gold.

03. Jay Haze feat. Ricardo Villalobos - The Darkest Disko (I Wait For You EP) [Contexterrior | CNTXT44]

Things take a more minimal, percussive, latin turn through Contexterrior, a label born when Tuning Spork Records ringleader Jay Haze aka Fuckpony [Bpitch Control] relocated to Europe from America.

“ Contexterrior's goal is to bring sub-bass, click- and glitch-heavy music to your bedroom and to the dancefloor. The sounds heard are a bit darker, with use of field recordings, unusual sequences, and an experimental attitude. Whether it's a peak-time workout track heard in the club, or a subtle minimal composition heard on headphones, Contexterrior's output will take you to a different mental plane.”

One of the last recorded songs in Jay's studio in Mitte , 'The Darkest Disco's was happened when long time collaborator and contemporary, Ricardo Villalobos stopped by the studio unannounced late in the evening- turned on the machines and started hitting keys & buttons.

Uplifting yet melancholy, there is a real depth here - a refreshing change from some of the uninspiring works that can fill the more ‘minimal’ end of the electronic spectrum.
    Dark in name & nature, repeated plays will help listeners fully appreciate The Darkest Disco's multiple layers, with epic build ups and percussion aplenty, the track is evidence of what happens when these production heavyweights combine. At times sounding like its building towards a vast crescendo and then pulling out at the last minute, the onslaught of percussion means the track maintains a sexy, techno vibe throughout.

Our Rating : 8/10 [Ibiza-Voice]”Every bit as emphatic as their last outing together - and that's saying something. An all round fantastic effort.”

04. Amir – Guernica (Vernissage One EP) [Trapez Ltd | Trapez Ltd 93]

Next it’s the turn of the excellent Traum stable. Trapez Ltd is a sub-label of Traum Schallplatten, the Cologne-based imprint run by Triple R (aka Riley Reinhold) and Jacqueline Klein. In Triple R's words, "Trapez stands for clublife, sweat and beats," functioning more as DJ tools.

Amir has been pushing house music for a long period as a DJ in his hometown Mainz, with numerous gigs in his resident club 50 Grad and clubs all around south Germany. Reaching his third release for Trapez ltd Amir has a new master plan, involving a series of releases that all run under the title of Vernissage intending to create space for creativity showing that his skills are not limited to one kind of style.

With Vernissage One Amir highlights a spiritual quality that is expressed by ethno sounds, constantly shifting dynamics and a feeling for deepness. As Amir says himself his beats are ongoing a constant change, nothing stays the same. ‘Guernica’ extends this feeling in a nice way, creating a super hypnotic groove, involving acoustic percussion, nature sounds, live atmosphere of vocals and sounds that reminded him of Spain. This is a great EP worthy of more in depth investigation.

05. We Love — Underwater (Johnny D Remix) [Bpitch Control | BPC223]

We love started life on a Winter's Sunday in 2009 when Duo Giorgia Angiuli & Piero Fragola recorded a CD for the car journey to a gig. Piero had discovered electronic music through the British cult band Coil. , and Giorgia “felt a kind of revolution inside” when she was given Ellen Allien’s album ‘Berlinette’ by some friends as a birthday present, buying her first sound card and a new laptop – “I discovered and I’m still discovering the incredible charm of electronic music.”

In Italy they have made a name for themselves over a number of years with their multimedia projects Giorgia has appeared with the Paris fashion designer Amelie Labarthe as Metúo. Piero is a designer, VJ and university tutor. He works with musicians, theatre groups and film directors. We Love moved from the south of Italy to Florence (home of Tenax) and immersed their intimate love songs in a synthetic glamour, simmering beneath the cool exterior of the synthesiser and guitars.

The pair’s debut album was Bpitch Control’s chorus of the summer, full if enchanting songs fusing the ecstasy of club land with the emotions of pop.

Not one for all the above slushy stuff, Diggers has picked up one of a batch of remixes, as Mannheim producer and DJ Johnny D (aka Johannes Debese) leaves the familiar deep house realm which he has explored with very successful releases on Oslo, 8bit and Deep Vibes. He turns "Underwater" into a surprisingly dark track which combines the melancholy overriding atmosphere of the original with a solid, driving sound and hypnotic pulse.

06. Martin Eyerer & Sasse – Save My Life (Phonogenic Remix) [Mood Music Records | MOOD093]

The tougher edge continues with heavyweight producers Eyerer and Sasse with a formidable tech workout calling on Phonogenic for a Remix and Dub, with the former concentrating on the straight stabbing motion for a 6AM belter, pushing the groove deeper & deeper taking us into the darkest realms of the EP. Perfect for the darker period now the nights are drawing in.

Our Rating : 8.5/10 [Ibiza-Voice]” Martin Eyerer and Sasse join forces to deliver an outstanding release for Moodmusic ... pure club energy from start to finish.”

07. Shlomi Aber – Create Balance [R&S Records | RS1001DB] and available as part of 'Chicago Days / Detroit Nights' [Ovum Recordings | OVM 9010-2]

Tel Aviv’s Shlomi Aber has forged himself an impressive reputation by delving into jazz, funk and minimal and acid house. With over twelve years experience in studio production, he's worked with everyone from Ovum to Cocoon Recordings and spent time nurturing his own Be As One imprint.

Originally released under the distinctive /Ferrari-like prancing horse silver of R&S Records ‘Create Balance’ also forms part of Aber’s ‘Chicago Days / Detroit Nights’ long player for Josh Wink’s Ovum Recordings.

Create Balance is a fully-fledged piece of techno magic. Its deep, mind-bending sound is loaded with the jazz and Detroit techno that has fuelled many of Aber’s biggest tracks. With repeating sounds and strong bass, the track steadily builds to give a deep late night feel. A mechanical sounding noise lies softly dominant in the background until, just for a moment, it steps up right before bursting into a beat that's hell bent on getting those floors moving.

Rating: 7.7/10 [Beats & Beyond] ‘a very diverse and warm album that mixes Shlomi's signature melodic minimal house grooves to a sound that's based upon the tunes from way back in the day, when beats from Detroit, Chicago and New York ruled the airwaves.’

08. Superpitcher – Rabbits In A Hurry (Sascha Funke’s JD Is The One Rabbits Remix) [Kompakt Digital | KOMPAKT DIGITAL 009]

We end with the quirky and downright trippy sounds of Aksel Schaufler – better known as Superpitcher.

Growing up in the south of Germany, Superpitcher was seduced by the soft sounds of Prefab Sprout, Scritti Politti, Sonic Youth & Roxy Music. A decade later he found himself working in the distribution department of KOMPAKT, while perfecting his studio production skill, fusing electronic pop and shimmering techno. Today, Superpitcher has accumulated a fine discography including his unforgettable version of Brian Eno’s ‘Baby’s On Fire’, the acclaimed full length ‘Here Comes Love’, the adored mix CD ‘Today’ and remixes for many including Dntel, Quarks, M83 and DJ Hell.

After a 4+ year hiatus, Superpitcher is back with the first single from his already adored and hugely acclaimed full length ‘Kilimanjaro’. ‘Rabbits In A Hurry’ effortlessly balances metronomic Kompakt rhythms with a dryly funky bassline and a slightly deranged mid section to incite some sophisticated electronic madness. Here we get a previously unreleased remix from BPitch Control's Sascha Funke.

"his wry lyric musings riding atop off-kilter dub, house, disco and post-punk influences to venture down that mysterious road known as avant-pop…" - DJ MAGAZINE

"This towers over recent similar efforts by Caribou and LCD Soundsystem" - UNCUT

John Digweed- Transitions 320 (Kiss100) 17th October 2010

01. Bas Amro - Le Huitième Arrondissement [Wolfskuil Records Ltd | WLTD012]
    02. Future Beat Alliance - Endless Blue [Tresor Records | tre238]
    03. Jay Haze feat. Ricardo Villalobos - The Darkest Disko [Contexterrior | CNTXT44]
    04. Amir – Guernica (Vernissage One EP) [Trapez Ltd | Trapez Ltd 93]
    05. We Love — Underwater (Johnny D Remix) [Bpitch Control | BPC223]
    06. Martin Eyerer & Sasse – Save My Life (Phonogenic Remix) [Mood Music Records | MOOD093]
    07. Shlomi Aber – Create Balance [R&S Records | RS1001DB]*
    08. Superpitcher – Rabbits In A Hurry (Sascha Funke’s JD Is The One Rabbits Remix) [Kompakt Digital | KOMPAKT DIGITAL 009]

*also available on 'Chicago Days / Detroit Nights' [Ovum Recordings | OVM 9010-2]

Nick Warren Guest Mix (Kiss100) 17th October 2010

01. Bob Holroyd - African Drug (Four Tet Remix) [Cooking Vinyl]
    02. Minilogue - The Leopard (David Keno Remix) [Traum]
    03. Tornike - Night Steps (Nhar Remix) [Mescene Records]
    04. Tornike - White Lands [Mescene Records]
    05. Ripperton - At Peace (Ice Cube Tape Remix) [CDR]
    06. Alex Niggemann - Clean The Dish (Sian Remix) [Sportclub]
    07. Fergie - Eye of Maktub (Mr Henry Vons Double Remix) [CDR]
    08. K300, Chaim, Zidan Style - Bedloff [Plastik Philosophy]
    09. Tornike - Syncopated [Mescene Records]
    10. Issac - Pickles [We Are Here Records]

Nick Warren Bio

http://www.djnickwarren.com
    http://soundcloud.com/djnickwarren
    http://www.myspace.com/nickwarrenhope
    http://www.facebook.com/nickwarrenhope

You can tell when Nick Warren's on the decks. The music emanating from the DJ booth is that perfect club mix of driving percussion and soaring musicality, bursting out of the speakers, soaking everyone in melody, drenching them in sound. On the floor, where it really matters, the crowd experiences all the peaks and troughs that make Warren’s sensibility so unique. He might start with his deeper take on house, gradually morph into harder territory; then, once Warren has the throng fully in his grip, sweating and losing themselves in the music, moving on instinct, he takes them to points unknown they never expected to go. That's why Nick Warren is so respected: he knows how to truly work a crowd, delivering again and again, yet taking them somewhere they’ve never been before. That's what comes with vision and, just as importantly in Warren’s case, experience.

To this day, Warren remains at the forefront of club culture: he packs clubs and arenas worldwide from London to Los Angeles to Taipei, transfixing dancefloors with his distinctively forward blend of credible progressive sounds, cutting-edge techno, atmospheric layers and any other grooves Warren deems appropriate for his turntable alchemy. 2008 also finds Warren reaching other milestones. He’s releasing his eighth mix CD for the Global Underground series, GU035: Lima; he’s also completing his fourth studio album with Way Out West, Warren’s pioneering electronic/band collaboration with Jody Wisternoff. Warren also recently became head of A&R for Hope Recordings, keeping him immersed in the shifting tides of new dance-music movements. “I’m doing same thing I did when I started—just playing music I love,” he says. “It’s as inspiring as ever. In Lima, we did the party for the Global mix on the grass in front of a stadium, and the crowd was as enthusiastic and curious as any I’ve ever had. It was one of the best parties I’ve ever done.”

What makes Warren’s vision continue to resonate is that he’s honed it over the years. He was there for the dawn of today’s club culture, and the original ethos of bringing integrity and a forward, future-looking aesthetic to what he does never left him. Warren began spinning at free parties in fields during acid house’s halcyon “Summer of Love” back in ’88: then, the revelry typically ended around lunchtime two days after the rave began, and seminal electronic artists like Leftfield and Orbital were making their mark with their first tracks. The culture was so new, DJs weren’t considered the icons they are today; if you were behind the decks, you were doing it for the music above all else, not money or fame. Despite Warren’s continuing success, that original motivation has never left him. “We never wanted to be ‘superstar DJs,’” Warren says of himself and his peers that rose to fame out of the dance-music revolution. “There was no such thing. I was just lucky to be there at the beginning. In those days, we were focused on creating and playing the next thing—music no one else had ever heard.”

Warren’s DJ sets always were set apart by their moody atmosphere—a key element of music from his Bristol hometown. Warren ascribes that to the influence of the city’s multicultural makeup, which found punters of all races attending dub parties from the likes of Jah Shaka. “Seeing him make so many sounds with just one turntable was incredible,” Warren recalls. “It was all about moving hips, about reverb, about the space between sounds. That epic silence in the right place became the sound of Bristol.”

“The ‘control freak’ side that every DJ has still comes out in me whenever I play music in a dark room,” he explains. “Whether it’s 600 people in a club or 10,000 at a festival, I love that I can take the crowd anywhere. It’s amazing I’m still surprised every day. When I stop searching for music, I’ll have to quit. But the moment, I’m as excited as I’ve ever been.”

Up next on Bedrock (out October 25th) incl. remixes from electronic alchemist Martin Buttrich

http://soundcloud.com/bedrock_rec/nick-warren-in-search-of-silver-martin-butrich-remix-soundcloud-edit

http://soundcloud.com/bedrock_rec/nick-warren-in-search-of-silver-martin-buttrich-mix-2

http://soundcloud.com/bedrock_rec/nick-warren-in-search-of-silver-original

Last edited by simonr; October 18, 2010, 05:54:50 PM.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Re: Transitions (Episode 320) October 17th 2010 w/ Nick Warren

Nick Warren's t/l added
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Feb 2009

Muchas gracias mate..

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• Hydrosonic
        Gold Gabber
        • Jul 2004

Cheers Simon. Only listened to Digweed's set, of which the 28-30-minute passage certainly gets my attention!
        320 requester

Comment

• ace_dl
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Thanks for the effort putting together this extended write up.
          Cheers mate
          Speakman Sound - Hold the Line

Comment

• Frankiee
            Getting Somewhere
            • Nov 2009

Good read. thanks!

Comment

• dusk
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Oh my blinking stars.... totally missed the last couple weeks of Transitions... this will be a very nice comeback.

Cheers for the info Simon
              ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

Working...