X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homegrove
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

The massive year 2010 round up-thread

Post your choices for tracks, comps, albums, nights visited, movies, best BJs, whatever.

Mine:

Top 20-tracks (house and techno and whatnot):

1. Cora Novoa - Icaro (Sistema Remix) [Natura Sonoris]
    2. Ian O'Donovan - Aurora Borealis [Bedrock]
    3. Simian Mobile Disco feat. Beth Ditto - Cruel Intentions (Heartbreak's Minimal Dub Remix) [Wichita]
    4. Carl Craig - At Les (Christian Smith's Tronic Treatment Remix) [Tronic]
    5. Ian O'Donovan - Anabatic [Hype Muzik]
    6. GMJ - First There Was Sound (Jamie Stevens Remix) [Open]
    7. Maetrik feat. Kule Runner - Snorkel [Cocoon]
    8. Luis Junior - BG [Bedrock]
    9. Sei A - Let It Go [Seinan Music]
    10. Psycatron feat. Blake Baxter - She Is Music (Hypnogroove Mix) [Planet E Communications]
    11. Moby - Wait For Me (Paul Kalkbrenner Remix) [Little Idiot]
    12. The XX vs. Alan Fitzpatrick - Silicone Shelter (King Unique Bootie) [cdr]
    13. Sistema - Krace Gelly [Bedrock]
    14. Antix - Lost And Found (Jamie Stevens Golden Return Remix) [Iboga]
    15. King Unique - 2 000 000 Suns [Bedrock]
    16. Fuckpony - I'm Burning Inside (Paul Ritch Remix) [Bpitch Control]
    17. Jori Hulkkonen - Re: Last Year (Sei A Remix) [Turbo]
    18. Marco Bailey & Tom Hades - Nikita (Egbert Remix) [MB Elektronics]
    19. Lusine - Two Dots (Nic Fanciulli Remix) [Saved]
    20. Spooky - Little Bullet (Ballistic Remix) [Renaissance]

Those 20 tracks mixed together here: http://soundcloud.com/homegrove/homegrove-2010

Top mix comps:

1. Apparat - DJ Kicks
    2. John Digweed - Structures
    3. Ewan Pearson - We Are Proud of Our Choices

Top albums (not dance music):

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    2. The National - High Violet
    3. Hurts - Happiness

Top night visited:
    John Digweed @ UU Clinic, Helsinki September 25th

Top night played:
    Mixxed Discotheque, Helsinki, July 3rd.

Best Movies:
    The Social Network
    Inception
    The Town
    Forward thinking house music
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: The massive year 2010 round up-thread

Grabbing your mix now, cheers

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

top mix comps:

1. Michael Mayer - Immer 3
      2. Apparat - DJ Kicks

hard to look past these 2 to anything else, but I also enjoyed...
      fabric CD's, lazarus D-Noise and Someone, Shackleton
      Zabiela- life
      ewan pearson - we are proud etc.
      structures was ok, i thought nothing more
      motherlover

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

top night visited:

1. Seth Troxler @ Planatarium, vienna,
        2. Michael Mayer - Flex, Vienna
        motherlover

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

A lot of those tracks would be on my list. Actually there are an amazing number of those on my list. Might have to download this
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Dzone
            Platinum Poster
            • Jul 2004

For me 2010 is all about Charlie May ......... the rest is memory
            ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

I thought the RA list was pretty good. I didnt like the Ben Klock so much tho apart from the last 2 tracks

RA plays selector, dialing up the top mixes and compilations of the year.

RA Poll: Top 20 compilations of 2010

RA plays selector, dialing up the top mixes and compilations of the year.

Here at the end of 2010, commercial mixes and compilations have never appeared more threatened. New podcast series crop up just about every other week, many of which notch up the same artists the CD series are shooting for. With so many free mixes flowing through the ether, their jewel-cased counterparts look increasingly obsolete.

But just like last year and the year before (and maybe even the year before that), mixes and compilations continue to buck the odds. Podcasts may be getting more and more clicks every week, but the old guard aren't doing so badly either: tried and tested series like fabric, DJ-KiCKS and Immer all place handsomely this year, alongside collections from classic labels like Ninja Tune and Defected. And with a gaggle of new series continuing to pick up momentum, it seems like the mix compilation still has some life left. Here's hoping it stays that way.

20. Various Artists - The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol 1 [Stones Throw]
              Music is easily consumed these days with its quick creation via musical software and easy accessibility via the internet, so I think the appeal of something like The Minimal Wave Tapes: Vol. 1 is that it's handmade, very DIY, and brings the listener back to a time when music was more personal. Most of these artists recorded on 4-track tape recorders because they had no choice, yet they created beautiful, sophisticated music. The compilation is somewhat like a label sampler, most of the tracks were pulled from full length albums I had put together and already released so licensing wasn't difficult. But it's interesting: Some of these artists actually contacted me because of my radio show, they've googled themselves; completely surprised to find that I'm playing their old records and tapes.
              – Veronica Vasicka, compiler

19. Deadbeat - Radio Rothko
              [The Agriculture]
              I started compiling my wishlist of tracks in January of 2009. I was in Australia at the time. There is a studio upstairs from a venue in Melbourne called Miss Libertines and the guys there were good enough to lock me in overnight a few times. The key parts of the mix came together during those night sessions. Give me a collection of tunes that heavy, a bottle of nice red wine and some good speakers or headphones, and I'll happily ponder my navel till kingdom come. Apparently the mix has inspired some other people to do some first class navel gazing as well which I couldn't be happier about.
              – Deadbeat

18. Various Artists - Mandarinen Traume [Permanent Vacation]
              I found Pond's Planetenwind as a decoration in the shop of a big furniture chain, and it made me keen on more electronic music from the GDR. So I scanned flea markets in Berlin. There are only about 12 albums in this canon, and it was very interesting to interview all the people who recorded them. That this music was being made in the former East Germany was a huge surprise, of course: fantastic, dreamy, spacious music from a super realistic, small, narrow country.
              – Florian Severs, compiler

17. Surgeon - Fabric 53 [Fabric]
              As it turned out, the mix had a bit more melodic stuff than I sometimes play. But that was just the new tracks that I was enjoying at the time. Quite recently I listened to the mix again, and it was fun because it felt like such a time capsule of that month—March 2010. There was brand new stuff, some things that had been around for a while. I was definitely conscious of the fact that people were going to hear it that weren't that familiar with my sets, so I wanted to represent some newer artists that I'd been enjoying and putting them alongside more famous producers.
              – Surgeon

16. Tensnake - In The House [Defected]
              The guys and girls at Defected did an amazing job. The entire process only took about four weeks from the rough idea of the tracklist to the finished mixdown. But, you know, the tracklist was packed with disco and soul stuff, which is hard to license in every way: Either it was impossible to find out who owned the rights or it was too expensive. One of the most important tracks for me, though, was Mount Kimbie's "Carbonated." It's one of the most played tracks on my iPod this year. And even better: It's also on the ITH vinyl double release, coming with a good selection of "not so easy to get on vinyl" tracks.
              – Tensnake

15. Martyn - Fabric 50 [Fabric]
              I had played fabric quite a lot on the Friday and on the Saturday. The Friday, obviously, is more associated with the Fabric.Live CDs and the Saturday the Fabric CDs. But I think I would have made the same mix no matter which series they had asked me to make the mix for. People might call it dubstep, but honestly there are only one or two tracks that you could really call that. The mix is a reflection of my favourite tracks I had been playing last summer while touring.
              – Martyn

14. Apparat - DJ-Kicks [!K7]
              Apparat is most assuredly not a DJ, but he has enough experience with music to know how to properly fake it. What made his entry into K7's DJ-Kicks series so compelling, however, was how easily he seemed to present tracks that felt like Apparat. Ripperton's warm pads, Ramadanman's shifty riddims, Oval's glitch experiments: Despite not being a DJ, Apparat achieved in his first try what others work years to cultivate. His DJ-Kicks was a mix that could have only come from one single artist, a superb encapsulation of his sound world.
              – Todd L. Burns

13. Various Artists - Ninja Tune XX [Ninja Tune]
              Witnessing your own imprint's absorption into the major label hit machine would break the spirit of any staunch indie champion. Thankfully, Coldcut persevered, enlisting the ninja for round two and succeeded where their first try, Ahead Of Our Time, failed. Twenty years on, then, and you'd think Ninja Tune would be forgiven for getting a little self-congratulatory. But for their anniversary they didn't bother with anything like that. Instead they sourced a vast amount of new and unreleased music, and masterminded a collection of "who and who?" remixes to remind us that they're still ahead of the times, and the game.
              – Christine Kakaire

12. Shackleton - Fabric 55 [Fabric]
              Had it been released in the middle of the year we'd like to think that Shackleton's fabric 55 would be pushing for top honours in this list. The "piece" was arguably his most complete body of work to date. Mix decisions felt animalistic in the way he weaved unreleased material through mainstays such as "Death is Not Final" and "(No More) Negative Thoughts." Shackleton expressed reservations to us over having his "livelihood" floating around in the public domain, although we'd assert that hearing fabric 55 begs the listener to experience the thing firsthand—which can only be a good thing.
              – Ryan Keeling

11. Scuba - Sub:Stance [Ostgut Ton]
              When Osgut Ton label manager, Nick Höppner, states that 50% of the releases he bought in 2010 were dubstep, it seems unsurprising that a mix such as Sub:stance would come to pass. In fact there seems to have been a widespread fascination among the Ostgut family over the party Paul Rose (Scuba) and Paul Fowler have crafted at Berghain since 2008. Scuba's CD representation of the night masterfully reflected the space in which it's hosted: A cloak of darkness enveloped the mix, although just the right amount of light was bled in, imbuing Sub:stance with a marked sense of celebration.
              – Ryan Keeling

10. Thomas Hamann & Gerd Janson - Live at Robert Johnson [Robert Johnson]
              Todd L. Burns: So why in 2010 a mix CD?

Gerd Janson: You mean after RA killed it off?

TLB: Last year you were on the label poll, where can we expect to see you in 2011?

GJ: I hope to make it into the live act poll.

TLB: What does the live set look like?

GJ: A speak & spell and an acoustic guitar.

TLB: Gerd Janson, the next Dylan?

GJ: Knock, knock, knocking on the live poll's door.

Thomas Hamman: ...

09. Seth Troxler - Boogybytes Vol. 5 [BPitch Control]
              "It's about tight jeans, black shirts, walking around Mitte and Prenzlauerberg with nothing to do and loving it." The opening monologue of Seth Troxler's Boogybytes Vol. 5, aside from sounding like a rave kid's take on beat poetry, perfectly sets the stage for what's to come: a breezy, carefree stroll through the world of a Berlin clubbing icon. Rich with color, melodies and a youthful sense of awe (e.g. Birds and Souls - "Birds and Souls"), Troxler's first commercial mix makes others feel drab by comparison. It teaches a valuable lesson too: don't come to the party and try to act smart.
              – Will Lynch

08. James Holden - DJ Kicks [!K7]
              Border Community's dedication to the dreamier side of dance music isn't that far off from the Kosmische strains of Can and Neu!, and so it came as no small surprise when label boss embraced the sound wholly on his DJ-Kicks mix. What was surprising, however, was how well it all sounded when mixed up by his expert hand. Hard techno vet James Ruskin melted into the off-kilter electro of Legowelt; Caribou slid gently into BC's Luke Abbott; the weirdo electronica of Ursula Bogner sounded right at home next to avant drone builder Eric Copeland. It might not have been trance, but it'd still put you in one.
              – Todd L. Burns

07. Various Artists - Fünf [Ostgut Ton]
              Berghain and Ostgut Ton are so well-loved these days that it's hard to praise them without stating the obvious. They got there mostly thanks to each other; aside from the simple fact that Berghain's residents are Ostgut Ton's artists, there's a creative interplay between the two that makes them so irresistible. With more than two dozen tracks by all members of the extended family, Fünf documents this symbiosis more thoroughly than ever before. By relying on field recordings from inside the club itself, it also takes it to a new level: this is the sound of Berghain—literally.
              – Will Lynch

06. Anthony "Shake" Shakir - Frictionalism: 1994-2009 [Rush Hour]
              "A good song is what trumps it all," Anthony "Shake" Shakir told us earlier this year. 35 of his best—songs that steered through electro, hip-hop, techno, house and disco—highlighted the Detroit DJ/producer's flair for experimentation and confirmed his influence on Rush Hour's career-spanning retrospective, Frictionalism. Given electronic music's intense fetishism of the 313, it's surprising that Shake has remained on the periphery of widespread recognition for so long. The scarcity of Shake's Frictional releases have a lot to do with that. So does his wide-spanning taste. Credit Rush Hour for redressing the former and paying tribute to the latter.
              – Christine Kakaire

05. Optimo - Fabric 52 [Fabric]
              The fabric mix was the only one we've ever managed to deliver on deadline. The other ones have always been licensing nightmares. But this time, it was amazingly easy. One of the people at fabric even tracked down one of the tracks to someone who was in prison in Colombia. We made the mix with the idea that we were playing room two at the club in mind—it was perhaps way more floor-driven than our previous mixes—but I do think it kind of veered away from that by the end of the mix...as we tend to do.
              – JD Twitch

04. Ewan Pearson - We Are Proud of Our Choices [Kompakt]
              Doing a mix CD for Kompakt was great on two counts; they've inspired me directly as a producer and as a label they pioneered the mix as "art form" too. I did the first 40 minutes in a kind of fever-dream early one morning in a hotel room in Jakarta, but finishing it took weeks. The final track only arrived the night before my deadline. Michael Mayer called and said, "Have you heard the new Bo'tox single by any chance?" with a smile in his voice. I had seen the promo email, but hadn't listened yet. Of course, it fitted perfectly. Make that three counts.
              – Ewan Pearson

03. DBridge & Instra:Mental - Autonomic - FabricLive.50 [Fabric]
              FabricLive.50 was as much about what wasn't there as what was. "There was no space in drum & bass," said Instra:mental at the end of 2009, "it was just running twenty breaks on top of each other, so we thought about what we could do... we decided to not fill the gaps." The hundredth release in fabric's combined compilation series arrived just as the trio were beginning to truly gain traction with their reduced and melodically rich "Autonomic sound." By the end of the year their labels, podcasts and productions had completely revolutionised the notion of drum & bass.
              – Ryan Keeling

02. Michael Mayer - Immer 3 [Kompakt]
              To say that expectations are high when Michael Mayer sits down to mix another installment of the Immer series would probably be underselling it. Named our favorite mix of the past decade, the debut Immer is a touchstone for dance music enthusiasts. Mayer didn't equal it with Immer 3, but he came about as close as you could expect, once again imbuing a simple mix CD with the sort of drama that you more often find in the theater than the dance floor. Mayer once again told a coherent story from beginning to end, one with highs, lows and everything in between.
              – Todd L. Burns

01. Ben Klock - Berghain 04 [Ostgut Ton]
              I started collecting the first exclusive tracks more than half a year before I mixed Berghain 04. I wanted to include as much exclusive or unreleased material as possible to make it different from a free download podcast. But I came across the opening track, 154's "Apricot," at the last minute. I missed it when it came out. This was actually the final piece of the puzzle, and it changed my idea for the mix.

I had always wanted to start with DVS1's "Pressure" so that the first thing you would hear on the mix was the bass drum. I didn't want to have an "intro" that puts you slowly into a certain vibe, which is so common for mix compilations. I just wanted to start directly and get straight into it. But when I listened to "Apricot," I was really touched by its beautiful ambience. I still think it was the best decision of the whole project. It starts out with a nice kind of sunrise.

I also always wanted to put an old personal classic in the mix to show where I'm coming from. Tyree's "Nuthin' Wrong" was one of the first house or techno records I ever bought and it has almost never left my bag since. That's what makes a DJ mix interesting for me: When you hear brand new stuff that you've never heard before mixed together with some old secret pearls. In the end, it's always about timeless music. It doesn't matter if the tracks are new or old.
              – Ben Klock
              motherlover

Comment

• Hoff
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by feather

Originally posted by feather

+ Hernán + Sasha on pluto @ creamfields BsAs .. + HC b2b Nick at the end of that creamfields

+ ++++ ++ ++ + ++ ++ + ++++++ ++ ++ +
                these two very special magic dreams beginnings ..more than anything

dreaming of living Pulp "This Is Hardcore" (End Of The Line Remix) since 2007

with something very important inside the dream ....... meet dancing magic DI

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

Best Night 2010 - Guy J and John Digweed @ The Vagabond

Best Overall Experience 2010 - Sasha/Digweed Yacht Party, not only because of the event, but because of all the people that were there I got to share it with

I'll be putting together a fave tracks of 2010 mix to post

Comment

• tiddles
                    Encryption, Jr.
                    • Jun 2004

so many good sets this year:

Burridge burning man
                    2x howells dig deeper
                    zabiela life + that mix mag cd
                    fair's rogue show mixes
                    the revenge mixes
                    lovebirds mixes
                    that 3hour terry lee brown jr set from serbia
                    joris voorn's housey sets that all sounded the same after the first 5
                    warren's ms birthday mix
                    sashweed boat party mix -- just for the vibes

best night was garnier in seoul
                    biggest disappointment was lawler in seoul

most hilarious shit was me being involved in front page news in korea and on the korean version of cnn

2010 was incredible

Comment

• da hype
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Dec 2009

Tracks
                      1. Carl Craig - At Les (Christian Smith's Tronic Treatment rmx)
                      2. King Unique - 200000 Suns
                      3. Faithless - Not Going Home (Prydz rmx)
                      4. Lee Burridge and Matthew Dekay - Wongle
                      5. Pryda - Niton
                      6. Lusine - Two Dots (Nic Fanciulli Rmx)
                      7. Radio Slave - I Don't Need A Cure For This
                      8. Timo Garcia ft Amber Jolene - Lady Luck(City Lights) (Solee Rmx)
                      9. Kenny Hawkes & Louise Carver - Play The Game (Joris Voorn Rmx)
                      10. Way Out West - Surrender (Eelke Kleijn rmx)

Albums
                      1. Eelke Kleijn - Untold Stories
                      2. Fabric 53: Surgeon
                      3. D:Fuse - Human Frequency 2.0
                      4. Michael Cassette - Temporarity
                      5. Marco Carola/ Nick Curly - Party Animals

Mixes DLed this year:
                      1. Lee Burridge @ Burning Man 2010
                      2. Nick Warren @ Club XS Sept 2010
                      3. Eelke Kleijn @ Pacha Buenos Aires Sept 2010
                      4. Sasha & Digweed @ WMC Boat Party

5. John Digweed Essential Mix
                      Last edited by da hype; December 22, 2010, 01:48:47 PM.

Comment

• Kinetic
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Tracks :

1. Nina Kraviz - Tanya
                        2. Anonym - Go Deeper (Kenny Larkin Remix)
                        3. Radio Slave - I Donīt Need A Cure For This (Kenny Larkin Remix)
                        4. Art Department - Without You
                        5. Guy Gerber - Hate/Love (the live version which unfortunately has never been released)

Albums :

1. Sandwell District - Feed Forward
                        2. Scuba - Triangulation
                        3. Shed - The Traveller
                        4. Demdike Stare - Voices Of Dust
                        5. Actress - Splazsh

Mix CDīs :

1. Shackleton - Fabric 55 (also my RECORD OF THE YEAR)
                        2. Ben Klock - Berghain 04
                        3. Seth Troxler - Boogybytes Vol.5
                        4. Scuba - Sub:stance
                        5. Surgeon - Fabric 53

Radio / Internet mixes :

1. John Digweed - Essential Mix 29.05.2010
                        2. Surgeon - Live at The Forum, Sydney
                        3. KINK - RA Podcast 232
                        4. Cari Lekebusch - CLR Podcast 86
                        5. Soulphiction - Live @ Robert Johnson

Best Live Gigs/Sets seen by me :

1. Guy Gerber @ Lux 09-06-2010 (this might change tomorrow as I am seeing him again at the same spot)
                        2. Seth Troxler @ Lux October 2010 (canīt remember the day)
                        3. John Digweed @ Neo Pop Festival August 2010
                        4. Carl Craig @ Lux 05.03.2010
                        5. Rui Vargas (Portuguese DJ) @ Wide Club, Coimbra, last October
                        "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                        http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Steve Graham
                          DJ Jelly
                          • Jun 2004

oh, wait, one more live set, Joris Voorn at the Balance party WMC 2010

Comment

• Kinetic
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Oh, forgot :

Favourite Producer for 2010 : Traversable Wormhole
                            Favourite Label : REKIDS

These will in fact be the reason for 2 tribute mixes I will be doing shortly, instead of a "My Best Tracks of 2010" (nothing against it, I did the same these past few years), I will be doing a all-TW mix and a all-REKIDS mix.
                            "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                            http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Ace
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Aug 2008

Best Shows Attended:

03-27-10 "Project Viram" @ Koolhaus Toronto w/ Andy C, Ed Rush, Optical, Red One, GQ

08-16-10 - "Party Animals" @ Amnesia Ibiza w/ Sven Vath, Dubfire, Richie Hawtin, Pantha Du Prince

08-17-10 - "Join Our Revolution" @ Space Ibiza w/ Carl Cox, John Digweed, Yousef, Fatboy Slim

09-05-10 - "Labour of Love" @ Guvernment, Toronto w/ John Digweed, Fabio, DJ Die

Favorite Mix: Maetrik Transitions Guest
                              Favorite House Track: Quivver - In Your Boat
                              Favorite DnB Track: Fourward - Sooner Or Later

Comment

Working...