X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Your 2010 in review

Seeing as the festive season is soon upon us and everyone will be off on their respective holidays and family-dos, and I see the 2010 musical round-up thread, perhaps we can take this time for our own personal 2010 review.

So I moved to Shanghai in January 25, it's almost 11 months. Long hours and working weekends and no-life, it's scary how quickly your body acclimatises.

Was tough the first three months, and then things were good for the next seven. And then everything fell apart at work in October. I'm just letting this year finish, survive January, visit family in February, and then look for a new job.

Met a really sweet girl in July, we're quite together now, and happy, though it's still early stage but everything's great. She's visiting family in Chicago and I'll be off to Tokyo for NYE when she's back so that kinda sucks but oh well.

So on the whole ... work has been down and up and down and shit, need to get out before I lose my mind. Personal life is good, feeling tentatively optimistic about 2011 but really have to 1) find a new job or 2) get the fuck out of China. Which is somewhat complicated (in a good way I suppose) by having to factor in someone else in my life.

So how was everyone's 2010?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: Your 2010 in review

isn't there already a 2010 review thread?

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

And I know it's been said before and many times, but you crazy nutters on this board don't know how much you and [ms] means to some guy in Shanghai, considering 1) this place is probably more 'home' than Shanghai 2) everyone speaks English 3) and we listen to good electronic music!

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
        isn't there already a 2010 review thread?
        I thought that was the 2010 music thread?

Comment

• Homegrove
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

It's 2010 whatever-thread.
          Forward thinking house music

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Alright sorry, can someone merge.

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

and this is the one I'll be replying to

2010 defo had its ups (and downs). As far as how this year will end, I'm due to get my bonus within a week and based on that number, I'll tell you how it went .

However, few of the ups
              - Bought a House (got it totally redone to my wife's and my liking and absolutely DIGGING being a home owner)
              - Did pretty well at work (even though its the most stressful job on the planet)
              - Got my green card (the most incredible thing to happen to me this year)
              - Traveled like a mofo in Oct / Nov (got to spend 2 weeks Greece and a week in Germany)
              Pict from my only day off in Greece when we got onto a Yatch and headed off for a cruise clos to Athens

- Met up with TomTom in his house (check him out when he came to pick me up)

The Downs (that immediately come to mind)
              - 2010 gave me a parting gift and I wrecked my car last week racking up a $4500 bill
              - Work frustrations were immense
              - Spanking new Media Server build has driven me to pull my hair out for the last 2 weeks
              - Haven't had a single holiday this year (worked every US holiday including thanksgiving, July 4th, Memorial + Labor Day)

Hope 2011 delivers a few more ups than downs.
              Attached Files
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              Originally posted by ace_dl
              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Homegrove
                It's 2010 whatever-thread.
                you're right, I'm wrong, get off my back, lol

merry christmas!

Comment

• picklemonkey
                  Double hoodie beer monster
                  • Jun 2004

Here's some things I can think of. It doesn't look like much on paper, but I've had a pretty busy year with personal/web/music projects

Travel
                  - New York City
                  - Detroit DEMF
                  - Cabo San Lucas
                  - Atlanta
                  - Family vacation

20% raise at work, lots of new responsibility

Web Projects
                  - [ms] vb4 upgrade in April
                  - [ms] DJ Database / Label Database
                  - [ms] Business cards
                  - Feed Flipper hit 500k hits/month
                  - Cloud Flipper

Music highlights
                  - Hosted a weekly club night for 3 months with some friends
                  - Hosted my first rave
                  - Matthew Dear - Black City
                  - All Nicolas Jaar

New girl
                  New phone - Jumped out of the dark ages into Android
                  New/more aggressive investing in stock market
                  I joined a Kickball league in the fall (I think I fucked up my knee... it still hurts)
                  I played some Call of Duty

Comment

• Kinetic
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

A real rollercoaster of a year for me, and one I will never, ever forget. I had some of the happiest and most amazing moments of my lie, but also hit some of the lowest points of my life.

Had 3 girlfriends and 2 "lovers" (as in, they had someone, I didnīt) in a year, actually the year began with me parting with ways with one of them, she actually had a boyfriend and it all ended in a dramatic way. Iīm not proud of having been involved with someone whoīs in a relationship, but I truly believe this woman was and will always be the love of my life and in the end I had to find the courage to separate myself from her, I had to take the initiative and it was the most painful thing I ever did in my life... thatīs when I hit the lowest point... driving home from work and truly wishing I had a car accident that would finish it all off. I also think thatīs why afterwards I was with so many people in quick succession and for shortt periods, and that is why I decided I wanted to be alone for a while and straighten my head up at this point (since September)...

Loads of partying too, I made the Lux club my 2nd home, also travelled to many different cities specifically for parties and DJīs, one weekend in October I racked up close to 1,000 miles driving to parties in the center and north of the country, did another 800 miles to see Diggers, also took some illicit substances again after about 6 or 7 years of not touching any of it, all recreationally. lots of booze too, obvious... so, all of those are amongst my happiest moments ever.

At work, things looked pretty grim at the beginning of the year, massive lay-offs occured in my company but I survived, then by July we came close to simply shutting down the whole operation, however everyone that was left worked like hell and amazingly, I finish off the year by getting news, last week, of the biggest promotion of my professional career, a new car, and a much better salary!

So, I guess I am pretty optimistic for 2011!
                    "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                    http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• trick12
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jul 2007

having our baby was the best thing this year...and many other changes happened good and bad..

- moving back to the US of A again after a while of being away, was great to be back again and getting in touch with all my peeps and stuff(everything smokeable, edible) here.
                      - but being in the states also had its cons since i left my dream job and came to a fuked up job market and been unemployed the whole year, which is good and bad since i worked too much for the past 3yrs and i needed the long vacation.
                      -THE WORLD CUP, not what i was expecting, but was great to have it
                      -WMC, nuff said
                      -thanks for the music coz without it wud have been very hard to go on and spend some of the very boring nights here in da south.
                      -MS and its cast def assisted in keeping me entertained in many good and crazy ways, and still remain.

2011 early stages will prob look alot like 2010, not really optimistic about a job at all, and tbh i dont care anymore because things have been just plain funny nowadays when it comes to employment, will wait it out a bit and if it dosent work ill be outta here and look for opportunity somewhere else. def willing to take a couple more trips while im free here and will try to make it wmc.
                      Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• DancingQueen
                        AVB FanClub | President
                        • Oct 2005

2010 was a difficult year for most of it, but when there were ups, they were fantastic!

Lets start with the plus sides of 2010:

* I got engaged to a wonderfully incredible man! Words can't describe how happy he makes me.

* My best friend got engaged as well, which I am super excited about as I get to be her maid of honour next year

* I also got presented with new and exciting opportunities at work that will start to unfold in January and February 2011....ooooh, I also got my Tucson, which I love!

As for the down sides to the year:

* We as a community lost an incredible part of our family (Jeff Shewchuk aka day_for_night aka DJ Jeff Taylor). He was a big part of this community and it was really difficult to accept that he was gone.....it brought back a lot of the pain of losing jibby and I had a really difficult time with it.

* Finally more recently I lost a dear friend of mine to cancer. She was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (stage 3B) at they end of 2009 and after she was deemed too sick for stem cell treatment, and after various aggressive attempts with chemotherapy, she was placed into palliative care this November. We were in the middle of planning a fundraiser for her to be held in Jan 2011 when she passed away. We were trying to raise money so we could search for a doctor anywhere in the world that was willing to continue finding a cure for her. Sadly a few weeks ago her liver began to fail and she lost her courageous battle....she was only 30 years old.

Even though this year had many low points and only a few high points, I am able to take a lot from it. It has brought me closer to my family and friends, making our bonds stronger then ever! I have also learned that life never has any guarantees, so you need to live each day to the fullest. I have learned that I need to ignore the negative people that pop in and out of my life, as they aren't worth the time or energy. Instead I focus my time and energy on living life and enjoying everything I can.

I hope that everyone here has an incredible holiday season and I hope that 2011 becomes a year of wonderful memories xo
                        sigpic
                        RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                        RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• diegoff
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

nice to read your posts!
                          like someone said before, [MS] means a lot to me, even those days when I only post on the nonsense thread

good shit:
                          - began my piano lessons.
                          - built my home studio.
                          - Have fun with friends I thought they where long gone
                          - I dedicated in almost every day of this year, some time for meditation and lessons from my Guru. That's best thing I did, I'm learning a lot, seeing things in very different way, cleaning, waking up.

bad shit:
                          - I'm getting old, I can feel it and I don't want to. I'm depressed about that. I see the world, and I don't want to be a part of it.
                          - this country is going to hell, so I can't make any plans
                          - I'm getting bored of most people I know and I meet
                          Hope this is my last life

anyways, I'm having a good time, I don't have big problems. Have a happy new year!!! and sorry if I've been too negative
                          Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                          Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                          May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• tiddles
                            Encryption, Jr.
                            • Jun 2004

Great year for me with a few low points.

Thought I'd strike it rich online with some facebook stuff that failed terribly. Took what I learned and did some more online stuff that's starting to pan out. High hopes to quit the rat race and work for myself 100% by mid-2011. Mostly passive income is the goal and it's getting there.

Had a shitshitshit job in Korea. Organized the workers and created the 2nd foreign labor union in the country. Held the company responsible and made front page/TV news a few times. It was a trip!

Moved to Hawaii for 5 weeks, realized that I can't cut it there yet and came back to Asia. I spent 4 months in the US and was just depressed as shit because of the culture, political climate and job market.

Solid year, but 2011 is already looking like it's going to be 100x better for me.

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

Originally posted by tiddles
                              Had a shitshitshit job in Korea. Organized the workers and created the 2nd foreign labor union in the country. Held the company responsible and made front page/TV news a few times. It was a trip!
                              Dude picts asap...
                              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                              Originally posted by ace_dl
                              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

Working...