X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatalfelix
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2008

Collecting little pieces of Heaven

Maybe I should have named this thread: "collecting classic Progressive & Tech House from +-1997 to +-2003", but some of the tracks made in these years are so beautiful that "little pieces of Heaven" fits much better.

Before I will start I will tell some more about myself and this music (I will do a short version ):
    I don't know why I love house music so much. I'm the oldest child in the family on both sides and when I was around 9 years old I never heared house music before. Nobody in my whole family played it and also my friends didn't knew about it. At that time I only listened to piano music from my mom and some tunes on the radio. But on one day I heard some Dance Department sounds on the radio and I was like: "W O W, what is this kind of music ?". It feld really like a new world was opened and I recorded it on my cassette deck. It was really like magic for me and I couldn't stop listening, it just took me and it felt a bit like "my real home" .

The time went on and later I saw some commercials of upcomming trancy/club/progressive albums here in Holland. My first cd was "The World Of Trance" and I have to say that I still like it. It has some really clubby tracks on it with those lovely trancy melodies, I would say, real progressive. I also took this cd to school on friday's (our music day), but everybody was like:" wtf is this, give us the top 40 back ?", and I didn't understand it at all. I mean, why don't people don't like this ?

When I was about 12 I was hooked up to ID&T radio everyday. They were broadcasting all the special events in Holland and upcomming artists had their own shows. I was recording the hell out of my radio that time and I enjoyed it a lot, but still nobody did (ever) understand why I liked house music so much.

When I was around 14 I got my first job. In the morning I delivered the newspapers in my neighbourhood. Offcourse I always got my headphones on. In that time I switched from casette to mini-disc and I recorded everyday a show from ID&T for the next morning. I also recorded gigs from other stations and I was going insane on my bike. Actually it was really funny, I was never been to a club or something but I could smell the people and the energie in the rooms when I pressed the play button. At the same time I also imagined all the lasers and light effects. Golden times for me. Sometimes I was spacing all day long, and even on school I had to smash myself sometimes to keep myself awake. Some years later the radio went more and more commercial and at the end I had to quit because I couldn't believe that my lovely ID&T had destroyed himself (I really could cry) !

When I was 16 I had the opportunity to go to some small clubs in town and I have to say that I couldn't wait. Finally there with my friends and warmed up with some of my older cd's and radio shows it just went wrong. It was the biggest disappointment in my whole life. I didn't smell the energie, there were no lasers and the music was fucked up. Damn that was a bad night. In the months after that event I didn't went out. I was searching on the internet for the music that brought me into this world to start over again. I mean, at that time I really crashed and it felt like my little world collapsed because everything I believed in felt fake. At the end I found Sasha and actually I refound my happiness with especially his Prvilige Ibiza set. I smelled the energie again and I have to say that I owe this man a lot. I was going insane again and loved music again. In the first years I went with the man, but later I digged him out and went back in time again to the years 1997-2003. I rediscovered the music I liked so much and it feld like being 9 again .

Nowadays I'm still a huge music lover. I'm mixing my own tracks a little and I'm reviewing some albums and EP's for a little Dutch site. I'm following more and more artists and enjoy reading interviews. Found out why my first club experience was so fucked up and also found out were I could find the "real party's" . It's a shame that my friends still don't like this kind of music and because of that I have to go on my own to most of the party's, but for me it's all about the music and I love it.

After all there's still that little piece in my heart that sometimes says: "nowadays is nice, but please give me those 1997-2003 tracks from heaven back". What I want to do in this thread is to collect as many progressive and tech-house tunes from heaven that are made around 1997 and 2003 so I can relife my first experience with house again when I want to and when I need to. I also think that there are a lot of people who will also like a back up thread like this because this kind of music is just wonderful. So please, open up your old record boxes and share your lovely tunes.

I will start to give a little direction:

Joost van Bellen - Let Me Take You (On A Journey)

Breeder - New York FM (Joost van Bellen remix)

MRE - The Deep Edge (part 2)

BT - Remember (BT's Blue Memory Dub)

(offcourse you can also share your own memories in this thread)
    Last edited by fatalfelix; December 28, 2010, 06:28:08 AM.
    "Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
  • swift shridan
    Fresh Peossy
    • Dec 2010

Re: Collecting little pieces of Heaven

I am so moved by your insistence in music. So I sincerely hope that I can help you more or less. I am not certain the site of Kylie Minogue Songs List whether can help you, because this site is recommended by others, but I still hope it will be useful.

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

^^^
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• CircleGuy
        Banned
        • Jan 2010

you've been botted

Comment

• fatalfelix
          Platinum Poster
          • May 2008

Thanks for your first post Swift Shridan. I don't know what I have to do on a Kylie Minoque forum when I'm searching for progressive and tech-house, but maybe I can make your day much better with this remix ^^.

I have to say that I had expected a list of beautiful progressive and tech-house tracks made around "97 and "03 in here already. Maybe I'm the only one in the world who likes this type of music, but I still hope I'm not.

"Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Everyone is on holidays .
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

and how many "this is what got me into edm" threads do we really need?

Comment

• fatalfelix
                Platinum Poster
                • May 2008

I think there's a misunderstanding. The "this is what got me into edm" was more like a intro, why I like this range of house music so much and why I wan't to collect it. I'm sorry if everybody hates it, I thought it should be nice, but maybe it isn't ? But after all you don't need to read it to understand the thread.

In this thread I just wanted to collect classics of a special progressive/tech-house type like mentioned in the opening post. It's like a classics thread but then for a special range and not the whole house range (like normal 13 in a dozen classics threads). I thought it might be very nice because I haven't seen such a classics thread anywere and I thought (because of all those Digweed and Sasha fans around here) that they would like it as well. But I guess I just made a mistake.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                  My dick is smaller
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                  where's yours? i can't seem to locate it.
                  you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• fatalfelix
                    Platinum Poster
                    • May 2008

Because I must be the only one in the world who loves this kind of music I have to keep this thread alive hahaha ^^.

Comment

• Shpira
                      Angry Boy Child
                      • Oct 2006

I love that sound...un/fortunately I am from a younger generation so I didn't really pick up on edm until around 2003-4 so I got into it when it started warping and becoming something different...so keep it going i missed a lot of these first time round!
                      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Frankiee
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Nov 2009

Since i used to be a real trance junkie around 2000, (i used to love m.i.k.e. aka push, plastic boy etc etc) i haven't really got so much old prog tunes. Anyway, here are some old ones that i love:

one deep proggy tune from m.i.k.e.

more techy tune

Comment

• fatalfelix
                          Platinum Poster
                          • May 2008

Thansk man, finally some help and the Chris Cowie tune is indeed great . I know the trance junk feeling btw. That kind of music was huge in Holland around that time (with the climax (low voice) S..E..N..S..A..T..I..O..N.. in the Arena hahaha). I think that might be one of the reasons why I missed so much of those great prog tracks.

I hope there will be more input in this thread from some (perhaps Englisch ?) progressive fans with big and rare collections.

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                            I love them, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Gives me a chance to say again Chris Fortier was at the first EDM event I went to. I had the absolute privilege to be there last friday night when he delivered an absolutely amazing old school set .

Comment

Working...