X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trick12
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jul 2007

Guy Gerber Interview

Guy Gerber has been releasing electronic music for just under a decade now and it was around ’05 / ‘06 that he really rose to prominence, with the launch of his label Supplement Facts alongside releases on Bedrock and Cocoon. Since then, and throughout 2010 in particular, Guy and Supplement Facts have bestowed upon us an extremely fresh and on-point sound, often delving deeper into the minds of the dancefloor masses than your average labels dare to. Toying with the listener’s emotions, and feet, with a nonchalant originality. In doing this, the label has successfully carved itself a firm niche in contemporary dance music, sitting comfortably at the forefront of underground house and techno. As Supplement Facts recently celebrated its 25th release, Bruno Schmidt interrupts Guy as he's packing up his Berlin studio to chat about the new EP and what 2011 holds for the label.

Pulse: Hello. Guy Gerber: Yo yo. How you doing?

Yeah I'm great, how are you doing? OK, it’s freezing here, but I'm moving to Madrid tomorrow, so I’m pretty happy.

Everything’s pretty hectic right now then? Yeah, super hectic. The studio has been the most hectic to move. All my synths, speakers, my guitars… everything.

You play guitar? Yeah, I play bass and guitar!

The new Supplement Facts release; did you play guitar on that? Yeah, On 'Time for a Change' it has a bass guitar at the end.

I like the collaboration between you, Crosson and Greg Paulus. I'm loving their stuff!

Greg Paulus especially. Yeah working with Greg has been fantastic. I hope we are going to do a lot of stuff together in the future, and maybe he's even going to play in my band next year, but we'll see. Right now I'm really into what he's doing, with No Regular Play too. We've got some stuff by them coming out on the label soon.

How was it to work with so many people on the one release? In general, it’s great. I’m coming from a rock music background and I love the atmosphere of having a group of people in the studio and sharing ideas. There is nothing better than when a few people share ideas and it comes right. There is a lot of excitement in the studio and everyone feeds off each other.

Good buzz, good atmosphere? Yeah it’s great. Also, because our lifestyles are so busy, sometimes the best way to hang out with my friends is to make a track with them. We get to spend a few days throwing ideas back and forth.

Have a few drinks? Yeah, take some drinks, take some other shit and its all good [laughs].

So did all you guys work in the studio together for this particular release? Yeah, the track that I made with Varoslav and dOP we started at Varoslavs house and then we moved to dOP’s studio in Paris. That was great. It was at the beginning of the year when I was still living in Paris. The atmosphere in dOP's studio is amazing, always so many different people coming in and out, especially in the basement.

Do you get a different vibe or mood when working with different people or in different locations? Definitely. Also, as a producer, I like to experience a lot of new methods of working. Right now, I'm not using midi at all anymore. I'm just recording my own sounds and jamming with stuff. I started this when I was in Paris and now I'm doing it all the time. The other track on the release I started with Ryan and Guti at Ryan’s house. At the beginning we had so many different versions of it. Then I spent some time alone with it. Eventually it shaped to be what it is now. Then Greg Paulus came in last. He put the trumpet on, then on that we put my Aventide(?) which is like an FX pedal, then we used some electro-harmonics from my guitar pedal, and finally we came out with this crazy echoey trumpet sound.

What about the vocal on the track? The vocal is a friend of mine but she remains un-revealed.

Did you have a concept at the start of each track on this release? Usually I don't have a concept. When I start a track, I try to do as little thinking as possible, that way when you are trying to find a flow you are not limited. Sometimes I start from drums, sometimes from melody, sometimes from jamming… I try to keep it as open as possible in the beginning.

So you've had a lot of time spent in the studio recently? Most of my life is spent in the studio. I've just finished a project that I’ve been working on with Puff Daddy. I'm just adding finishing touches to it; it will be my main album for next year.

I think I've even heard one of the tracks from it. Yeah but that was just an experiment with deep house. The album is going be more electronic music, but more indie oriented… not that clubby. The track you’re talking about; I will probably put out as a single on Supplement Facts. But yeah, the album is going be he and I. I'm also working on my own album, and have had to finish SF 25. So yeah, I'm in the studio all the time. I'm still there now (laughs).

Are you happy with the way Supplement Facts has gone so far? Im very happy. Its been a long hard way but now I have people helping me, like Tom Elron(?) and Varoslav. In the beginning, though, it was mainly me and it was really difficult, we had to look hard to find music I liked and wanted to put out. But now, people whose music I really like, like Lee Curtiss, dOP, Greg Paulus etc, they just send their music to me. We have sourced music with a certain style.

With the Supplement releases, I find the tracks have many elements to them, a lot more depth than your average deep house track. It becomes very human in a way, would you agree? That’s what I’m going for at the moment, a more organic sound. When you use midi, and you use the things inside a computer, things are more loop based, and evolve slower. I'm trying to make tracks as musical as I can with samples and my own jamming. That way its more personal, each sound may have a story behind it. With Lee Curtiss’ 'I Can Hear You Arthur', the bassline is him playing bass. Personal touches are good. They tend to make tracks more playable in a non-club situation.

How would you sum up Supplement Facts in a short sentence? Optimistic music for the pessimist!

Nice. Are there any particular hot releases coming up on the label? As I've mentioned, we have No Regular Play on board, which I’m very excited about. There is a really big release from dOP with a remix from Art Department; lovely release also. My track Hate Love, there is a remix package coming up, one from Deniz Kurtel, one from Kate Simko and one from Maayan Fitz. Plus, we have a few more secrets (laughs). It’s going to be great!

I have found a lot of similarities with Supplement Facts and Visionquest. The ethos behind the music, the style… would you agree with that? I would say we are influenced from the same things, and from each other. I am very proud to be compared to them. I think we are both trying to push the same kind of things with our music, in that our tracks will be warm, musical and a bit different to your standard loopy tech-house grooves.

More progressive? I wouldn't say progressive, necessarily. I would say more indie rather than progressive.

This is just a personal question, my favourite track that you ever made, quite an old track, It’s called Salamonte? Saltamonte. It means a grasshopper in Spanish. It came out on Supplement maybe three years ago. I made it with Chaim… (Laughs) Wow, I'd completely forgotten about this. Definitely going to dig it out for the Mexico tour!

It’s definitely still sounding fresh. Would you say your style of production has changed significantly over the past 3 years, and if so, how? I would say that in a way it has changed, but I would say that it was my own ideas that influenced me the most. I can't really say that I was doing this type of music or that type of music. I wasn't necessarily doing house, or necessarily doing deep house. As a musician I believe in evolution rather than just doing one particular thing. The project I’m doing with P Diddy, that is very different from my album. And my album is very different from the singles that I put out.

More like something to be listened to from start to finish than a collection of club tracks? Yes. The kind of shit that will hopefully follow you through moments in your life.

What are your biggest influences outside of music? I used to watch a lot of movies. I'm observing the human being 100% of the time, and I would say it’s my biggest influence. Situations.

Human behaviour? Yeah, and emotions.

Don't you think it’s amazing how music can capture emotions? For me, music should touch you. When I'm making a track, I usually test it on myself. I'm very sensitive (laughs). If it moves me, and there is a certain point in the track where I feel overwhelmed emotionally, then I know my work is done. my mini album 'My Invisible Romance', I tried to be more restrained with emotions, to create an ongoing atmosphere, but without loads of big moments, necessarily. I try to create an overwhelming moment in each track. This album was more restrained though, not so many peaks. I tried to make these tracks build to a peak, that never quite arrives.

Where can we catch you playing in the near future? First off I have four dates in Mexico. Peru after that, and then I have a small tour in the UK. Going to play at Warehouse Project and Fabric. Really looking forward to early 2011 because I’m going to take some time off to finish the album with P. Diddy, which still doesn't have a name… I'm thinking I might call it 'Showdown with Doctor Pepper' (laughs).

Have you been to Mexico before? Yeah, its one of my favourite places, I have good friends over there and the crowd is always very responsive.

What’s the scene like down there? Its healthy man, the best DJs are playing there and having a really good time. Just imagine happier people and better weather. Much, much better food. And people want to party. I'd say the crowd is more educated over here, and in some places [in Mexico], yeah it’s a little bit behind, but that gives the people an open mind. People are more accepting, rather than just having their ideas of what’s cool and what’s not.

Its been a pleasure dude, thank you for your time! Your welcome, ciao ciao.

Bruno Schmidt
    Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!
  • trick12
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jul 2007

Re: Guy Gerber Interview

What about the vocal on the track? The vocal is a friend of mine but she remains un-revealed.
    is he talking bout Nothing Can Be True?!!! coz this has been a mystery to me, i always thought it was a she.

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

^^ Don't think so, he mentions before he mentions the Project with Puff Daddy. Btw I am assuming P Diddy and Puff Daddy are one and the same ?? I really hope that track gets a release. Does it ever touch me. !!
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• danielRR
        Getting Somewhere
        • May 2008

I've really been feeling his music over the last couple years. Really interesting to hear that somebody in the genre that doesn't use any MIDI. He has a good point about why he does so.
        http://soundcloud.com/lexajune

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
          ^^ Don't think so, he mentions before he mentions the Project with Puff Daddy. Btw I am assuming P Diddy and Puff Daddy are one and the same ?? I really hope that track gets a release. Does it ever touch me. !!
          Diddy, P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, Puffy, Sean John, Diddy-Dirty Money.. all the same untalented rubbish yes

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

^^^ Thanks!!
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• jeffrey collins
              Not cool enough
              • Jun 2004

if he's doing tracks with prick daddy. I'm done with guy.
              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Kinetic
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                if he's doing tracks with prick daddy. I'm done with guy.
                Actually, I think that if anyone can pull this off without it sounding like a massive wank-fest, it´s Gerber. Have a little more faith on the man
                "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

^^^ That.! Listen before you judge people .

Comment

• trick12
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jul 2007

^^ seriously, this specific one track i would still have on my list of top 10 tracks ever even if he made it with the black eyed peas (just plz dont tell me)

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Agree totally

Comment

• Haziel
                        Likes a finger upthere
                        • Jan 2007

To me guy gerber is the sound "brigde" between the shit that I used to like and the shit that I dig atm .

Comment

• rich tobares
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Sep 2011

buenos aires lo espera !!
                          La manija , no se mancha

Comment

• msoutlookmk
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Dec 2011